Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

CIA helped stop Russia terror attack

Unusual Tournament

CIA helped stop Russia terror attack

Information provided by the CIA helped Russian security services foil an attack on St Petersburg's Kazan cathedral, US and Russian leaders say.

President Vladimir Putin phoned Donald Trump to thank him for the information, the White House and Kremlin confirmed.

The attack was allegedly planned to take place on Saturday, Russia says.

A White House statement said "terrorists" were captured prior to an attack "that could have killed large numbers of people".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42386258

• Like 7

Good.

• Like 5

Just the sort of encouragement they need to continue pulling their troops out of Syria. 

• Like 1

for some reason, i do not buy it for a second.

most terror attacks in russia lately (residential building bombings, train bombing) were done by FSB itself. to make it look like Chechen did it, so Russia has a reason for war in Chechnya. or as a retaliation for anti gvmnt protests,  i know plenty of russians almost no one believes fsb claims.   our fbi keeps stopping their own attacks, and arresting people they provided bombs to.  

Edited by aztek

10 minutes ago, aztek said:

most terror attacks in russia lately (residential building bombings, train bombing) were done by FSB itself. to make it look like Chechen did it,

Do you have any evidence of this?

Generally, the Russians don't need an excuse to annihilate the Chechens. Besides, Putin and Ramzan are practically best pals.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

11 hours ago, and then said:

Well done!  As I recall, one of their intel bureaus tried to give us a warning about the Tsarnaev brothers but apparently, it was deemed unreliable.  Stopping Islamic fundamentalist terror is everybody's responsibility.

You have to wonder about that. It's grist for the conspiracy board mill. The failure, to take actionable intelligence seriously, was either an accidental or intentional failure. Either way, it's very troubling.

• Like 1

It amazes me how many people want to make Russia our enemy. Having lived at the end of the cold war, I know I didn't hate the Russians. I wasn't a sympathizer, I just thought, most people of Russia are probably like most Americans. They want to live a nice, peaceful life. As evidenced by film of the Berlin wall coming down....people were happy. 

Now governments are a different story. 

But I just see a lot of young people that are so quick to say this country is our enemy and that country is our enemy. They throw around labels like candy. 

We need strong allies. Not everything our government has done in the last two administration's has been cheerful and great. 

President Putin has to think of his countries best interests and why shouldn't he? 

Maybe some people just need to chill and untangle their underwear. Maybe get "some" every now and then.  :lol:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sooth Sayer said:

It amazes me how many people want to make Russia our enemy. Having lived at the end of the cold war, I know I didn't hate the Russians. I wasn't a sympathizer, I just thought, most people of Russia are probably like most Americans. They want to live a nice, peaceful life. As evidenced by film of the Berlin wall coming down....people were happy. 

Now governments are a different story. 

But I just see a lot of young people that are so quick to say this country is our enemy and that country is our enemy. They throw around labels like candy. 

We need strong allies. Not everything our government has done in the last two administration's has been cheerful and great. 

President Putin has to think of his countries best interests and why shouldn't he? 

Maybe some people just need to chill and untangle their underwear. Maybe get "some" every now and then.  :lol:

We blew it after the Cold War I ended. We could have aided and guided Russia's transformation into a democratic country, and we could have partnered with them in many varied ways. It seems like some entities just have no interest in peace. They can't get as rich from it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

We blew it after the Cold War I ended. We could have aided and guided Russia's transformation into a democratic country, and we could have partnered with them in many varied ways. It seems like some entities just have no interest in peace. They can't get as rich from it.

Yea we had a chance. And I agree, there are those that profit from discord, mistrust and war. 

Too bad we can't remove the profit portion of war and unrest. If some lost their fortune they would probably never want to push for it. 

Edited by Sooth Sayer
Oops
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2017 at 6:39 PM, Paranormal Panther said:

We blew it after the Cold War I ended. We could have aided and guided Russia's transformation into a democratic country, and we could have partnered with them in many varied ways.

lol, we can't even to that to our own country, what makes you think we could have done anything in russia, a country that still has same thieves criminals and murderers ruling.  same corrupted communists are in charge. they wont let anything change that  will weaken their grip.  current president is going for 4th term, and is former kgb colonel, his entire cabinet are same soviet era politburo guys

Edited by aztek

6 hours ago, aztek said:

lol, we can't even to that to our own country, what makes you think we could have done anything in russia, a country that still has same thieves criminals and murderers ruling.  same corrupted communists are in charge. they wont let anything change that  will weaken their grip.  current president is going for 4th term, and is former kgb colonel, his entire cabinet are same soviet era politburo guys

Be that as it may, they were still expecting us to do something, a LOT of something... maybe even another Marshall Plan (as if we could afford it!).

Instead, they surrendered to nobody and spent the 1990s wallowing along in a similar way to what Germany did in the 1920s. We spent the 1990s having one big party and bickering about a slew of minor social issues. 

And if there is one thing that drives Russians crazy, it is the idea that they aren't among the most important people in the world. It is a little weird, and kinda like an over-aged Hollywood actress seeking attention.

But if you really want to shut a Russian up about reconstruction, this works; "If we had done it for you, it wouldn't mean anything!"

9 hours ago, aztek said:

Some of that is a result of our mistakes. Some of that corruption and criminality develops in voids. It's also just wise to maintain good relationships with countries that can destroy the planet. We should do more on that front.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

It's also just wise to maintain good relationships with countries that can destroy the planet. We should do more on that front.

So you'd imagine.  Apparently, the Dem's leadership feels like it's okay to risk a global conflagration if it will only get rid of Trump.  That's actually frightening.  They've pushed Trump into a corner where ANY attempt at diplomacy with Putin will immediately be seen as evidence of corruption.  God forbid that we ever need to defuse a misunderstanding.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, and then said:

So you'd imagine.  Apparently, the Dem's leadership feels like it's okay to risk a global conflagration if it will only get rid of Trump.  That's actually frightening.  They've pushed Trump into a corner where ANY attempt at diplomacy with Putin will immediately be seen as evidence of corruption.  God forbid that we ever need to defuse a misunderstanding.  

That's a great point. Trump *may* feel that he has to go above and beyond to prove himself in that regard. I hope that he's more independent than that, though, and it really seems like he is. Of course, his advisors might be different. They're giving weapons to Ukraine right now. I think that we should stay out of that country for a variety of reasons. There are no clean hands or good guys there. We should be past the days of choosing the lesser of two evils (not even sure that we choose the lesser one) unless it's some kind of emergency.

22 hours ago, and then said:

They've pushed Trump into a corner where ANY attempt at diplomacy with Putin will immediately be seen as evidence of corruption.  God forbid that we ever need to defuse a misunderstanding.  

Well that's what happens when you and yours lie about something repeatedly, people tend to cast a weary eye on that thing in the future.