Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Dark Man & I (Dream Story)

AcidWizard

For starters, I've got some health issues that I am working through. I wanted to be upfront about that before I started depicting what happened. So my idea is that he came to be as a warning of my life being stolen from me. But I would like to see others interpretations about the dream.

In my dream, I found myself in a rather large house. Hardwood floors, crown molding, custom kitchen. A very lovely home, scattered among the house were people I did not know, but seemed to know me. 

Upon entering the Foyer to the home, I saw my father. Briefly, (My father's relationship with me is strenuous at best) engaging him in conversation. I was ripped out of the scene and thrown into a supermarket parking lot. Into one of those coin operated children's rides. It was a helicopter, with doors that closed. I was drawn into the ride and the doors closed. In that moment of the door closing, something felt terribly wrong. As if I had fallen into a trap, I began to panic, jostling the door to break free, hitting the glass. Then I saw him. As if the tight quarters of the ride had elongated and there were 15ft between us. He stared at me, like he knew my secrets, like everything that I have ever feared had come to fruition. He smiled at me, as if there was some understanding between us that he knew that I knew what he knew, that he knew I knew this wasn't a dream and that this wasn't a joke. The helicopter took off, flying into the air rapidly as if something from Charlie and the chocolate factory. All of a sudden, the helicopter began to tilt, and he began to smile at me. As i felt the blades stop whirling. I looked him in the face, his grin was chilling. I knew I was dreaming, I had to be. So I embraced the death, instead of freaking out. I closed my eyes and relaxed. I woke up. Panic and a startling feeling came over me. Trying to piece together the feeling i just felt and the looming death that I just embraced. 

Honestly, I am still trying to make sense of it all. Trying to understand why me embracing it allowed me freedom from the dream. Why I had this mutual understanding with the dark-man, that he and I shared the same thoughts, feelings. I was beginning to wonder what if the dark-man is me, and I am him. All the bad parts of me, the malice, the discontent, the unhappiness, the hate. Why did I choose to embrace him, instead of fear him. Why did I give into the dark-man and his choosing to kill me. 

Any insight would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard

You might want to search

shadow big dream carl jung

After taking a look at what comes up, you might think about whether any of that speaks to to you.

My guess is that you may be thinking about this dream in the future. In that case, you'll be grateful if you write down now, while it is fresh in your memory, everything you remember about the dream and your waking reactions

56 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Welcome aboard

You might want to search

shadow big dream carl jung

After taking a look at what comes up, you might think about whether any of that speaks to to you.

My guess is that you may be thinking about this dream in the future. In that case, you'll be grateful if you write down now, while it is fresh in your memory, everything you remember about the dream and your waking reactions

I find the Philosophy of the Jungian very eye opening. Things that I fight or kept to myself or the hatred or anger that I suppress comes to light as well as the malice and discontent mirrors into the dark-man/shadow-man. The urges that I fight and keep down and actions that I resist. I can see why I felt why he knew me, my secrets, because he is me and I am him. Two sides of the same coin, one in the material plane and another in the subconscious. Suffice to say, this has been very enlightening. I understand why I accept him now, accept him and the situation he or I put myself in. But, I am left wondering. Why has he taken so long to appear to me. Why now, what change in my life could've prompted his arrival. Should I actively seek him out when I dream? What will happen if I find him or he appears to me again? Questions answered and so many gained. Thank you for your insight!

On 12/18/2017 at 8:20 AM, AcidWizard said:

Honestly, I am still trying to make sense of it all. Trying to understand why me embracing it allowed me freedom from the dream. Why I had this mutual understanding with the dark-man, that he and I shared the same thoughts, feelings. I was beginning to wonder what if the dark-man is me, and I am him. All the bad parts of me, the malice, the discontent, the unhappiness, the hate. Why did I choose to embrace him, instead of fear him. Why did I give into the dark-man and his choosing to kill me. 

Any insight would be appreciated. 

Hello,

This dark-man is indeed an aspect of self. It represents your dark side or shadow self. It is actually very wise to embrace that aspect of self, in my view. That is because internal conflict is quite self destructive.

What would embracting this aspect of self involve? Accepting the dark-man is you, and that you are him, as you said. Now the best way For You to deal with this encourages a relationship with your higher self. That higher self being your light side or inner wisdom if you perfer. The goal is to become better balanced and integrate all aspect of who you are in as harmonious a way as possible.

John