Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Visiting asteroid has 'strange organic coat'

UM-Bot

" due to the fact it's been baked by energetic radiation between the stars for hundreds of millions of years, or even billions of years "

Its just mind blowing the time spans involved when talking of the cosmos!...and welcome traveller to our solar system....enjoy your brief visit :st

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/oumuamua/indepth

Edited by khol
  • Like 3

No kidding. What we could learn.It would be incredible. I imagine trying to stabilize it into a steady orbit around sun is what we would do.I wonder what the logistics would be in attempting to do this when its travelling at 26km/sec. or if its even possible

This coating of 'organic insulation' is so thick that the usual spectral signature expected of asteroids is not visible? That is very odd.  Even if some presumably organic material is present on an asteroid, giving it a reddish tinge of color, the signature of various kinds of minerals is normally quite obvious, too. Some organic materials are said to be very good insulators against radiation in space.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

It's shameful we can't intercept it after 60 years of space travel.

This thing is travelling at huge speed and turned up announced. Newton and Kepler's laws still apply.

Science does not advance just on wishful thinking.

• Like 1

Very odd... not an asteroid and not a comet, something in between or something else entirely.

Or an alien probe isolated. The fact it didn't probed for life after a full scan means nothing. We have a thing unusual shaped unlike any asteroids or meteorites, it enters our solar system, does use suns gravitational pull to fly by doesn't melt and puff is gone. The world applauds the new finding whilst it goes back to ignorance. God. Why does aliens have to communicate like we do? What is Hubble telescope doing? Can it take a picture of the thing? By far this is the most mysterius cosmic event our galaxy have seen in a few millions of boredom! 

• Like 1

There isn't much to see but real images do exist. 

465972_900.jpg

ooU1_weighted_red.gri.crop.jpg

DOXKsCaUQAAOfTa.jpg

This shows the object tumbling: 

Oumuamua_Fitzsimmons_shortened.gif

Edited by AZDZ

I think discoving the organic layer is a great plus to science for the theory of pansporia from space objects. 

• Like 3

Guys, its a Chinese Star Destroyer, only very suspect quality...they can't copy anything right !

Seanjo, I love it when kids are willing to think for themselves. Keep at it, friend, and university will be a breeze! Any thoughts on what you might like to study?

ha ha, wouldn't be surprised if it is a Chinese space ship! with their unlimited money, manpower, tech advances, etc., they are far advanced in some areas of research. prestigious journals (latest being Nature) have highlighted how china has been trailblazing in edge cutting research from biotech to space venture research to quantum comms, etc. they even got the biggest, newest and most advanced astronomical observatory now. heck, even the pentagon and nasa and boeing have publicly said china could be quietly in the lead in some areas. I and my colleagues used to joke about this, but stereotyping china's capabilities is outdated and could backfire and make the rest of the world complacent. china could easily fund and build multiple very advanced research facilities , whereas other countries suffer from funding issues or lack of interest. even countries like jap/korea are now slacking and have other priorities than to focus on innovation , and worse, they lack new ideas. same could be said in some respects about the usa, EU. even basic tech, like TVs, korean/jpn brands are fading or struggling compared to the fully loaded features, performance and innovation of Chinese TVs!, lol. so, yeah if you or the pentagon speculate or tell me it's a Chinese ship in hyperspace, i would not discount the idea.

Truly fascinating. I hope there will be a probe landed on it so that we can learn even more about this very unusual object.

1 hour ago, The singularity said:

Truly fascinating. I hope there will be a probe landed on it so that we can learn even more about this very unusual object.

Oumuamua is a naturally occurring space probe.  All we need to do is rig it with the necessary technology and let it on its way.

On 20/12/2017 at 11:05 PM, Aardvark-DK said:

Guys, its a Chinese Star Destroyer, only very suspect quality...they can't copy anything right !

It looks more like a space vegetable, perhaps an organic potato and I wonder what it would taste like.

• Like 1