Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chicago commissioner asks for UN peacekeepers

OverSword

14 hours ago, bee said:

yes why doesn't he just meet and speak with his President about all this - his President has shown a definite interest in tackling
these kind of problems if I remember right -- 

oh I expect he's ''not speaking''' (sulking?) to his President and he probably doesn't recognise his President as being his President..:rolleyes:

I kind of smell that there's more to this than meets the eye and Richard Boykin is floating the idea to gauge public reaction for possible
moves in this direction if they can get a Democrat President in the White House at some point - ie getting UN (foreign) troops onto US soil..?

My guess is that he's like the politician who asked if adding more military equipment and service members to an island might literally sink or tip it. If memory serves, he was a national representative, and he actually asked this. The Chicago guy might have been similar in that he has good intentions but is quite ignorant. You might be right, but my guess is that he acted out of desperation.

21 hours ago, Michelle said:

There is a real shortage of skilled labor. Electricians, plumbers, brick and stone masons, carpenters, etc all make great money without incurring crippling debt. The problem is, people don't want to get their hands dirty.

Many high school students look down on skilled labor and trade schools. That might be one of the main reasons why they don't pursue trades. They attach a stigma to them. It's a shame that good jobs are stigmatized.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Many high school students look down on skilled labor and trade schools. That might be one of the main reasons why they don't pursue trades. They attach a stigma to them. It's a shame that good jobs are stigmatized.

I don't know how much of it are students attaching the stigma as it is the guidance counselors.  I know at my former high school the guidance counselor did everything to make learning a trade difficult, she purposefully made it as difficult as possible to do vo-tech as she could, normally my making scheduling a nightmare for the students interested, while always telling the students that the only way to succeed in life was college and how vo-tech was only for the students as she said "couldn't handle regular schooling".  She even made every senior phone 3 universities asking for information be sent to them in front of her.  Not every guidance counselor is probably that bad but there is definently a culture of forcing kids into college instead of what's best in the current schooling system.

22 hours ago, Michelle said:

There is a real shortage of skilled labor. Electricians, plumbers, brick and stone masons, carpenters, etc all make great money without incurring crippling debt. The problem is, people don't want to get their hands dirty.

I don't think I (stonemason) make great money.

Politics, that's where the bribes kickbacks favors real money is.

5 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

A call for citizen volunteers would attract lines a mile long.

So, you figure Kaepernick will be at the head of that line?

47 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

I don't know how much of it are students attaching the stigma as it is the guidance counselors.  I know at my former high school the guidance counselor did everything to make learning a trade difficult, she purposefully made it as difficult as possible to do vo-tech as she could, normally my making scheduling a nightmare for the students interested, while always telling the students that the only way to succeed in life was college and how vo-tech was only for the students as she said "couldn't handle regular schooling".  She even made every senior phone 3 universities asking for information be sent to them in front of her.  Not every guidance counselor is probably that bad but there is definently a culture of forcing kids into college instead of what's best in the current schooling system.

It could be a combination of the two. Sadly, it was the slow kids who went to vocational schools when I was in high school. This was just how it was in our school district at that particular place and time. I'm definitely not saying that it was a universal phenomenon. It sounds like your counselor attended a school like the one that I attended. That might have created her seemingly prejudiced and uninformed opinions. She likely was confused as to why someone like you would want to attend a vocational school. You had more insight than a professional who couldn't think outside of the box.

56 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

I don't think I (stonemason) make great money.

Politics, that's where the bribes kickbacks favors real money is.

I graduated HS early and did remodeling work for the better part of a year back in the late 80’s. A friend and I used to walk around ritzy neighborhoods looking for work we could do to make some money... fixing broken shingles, hanging gutters, painting... that kind of thing.

We built a little old lady a fence and a table and fixed her gate. Guy next door liked our work and had us build him a fence too... then he liked our work so much that he got the idea to get some investors together and start remodeling houses with us as the crew.

Busted my ass working 12 hour days, sunup to sundown. With the overtime pay kicking in, I was making more money than my mom working for State of Georgia mental health with a Masters in Psychology. Can’t make good money like that these days, the underground labor market has taken the bottom out of the construction labor industry.

9 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

It could be a combination of the two. Sadly, it was the slow kids who went to vocational schools when I was in high school. This was just how it was in our school district at that particular place and time. I'm definitely not saying that it was a universal phenomenon. It sounds like your counselor attended a school like the one that I attended. That might have created her seemingly prejudiced and uninformed opinions. She likely was confused as to why someone like you would want to attend a vocational school. You had more insight than a professional who couldn't think outside of the box.

I didn't want to attend vo-tech, I went to college and had about 75% of it paid off with scholarships, got BS degree in engineering, a BS degree in math, and a minor in environmental engineering.  I applying to applied math PhD programs currently.

Mostly I just always thought it was messed up how the guidance counselor treated vo-tech students cause I was good friends with a few and some were really smart but wanted to be mechanics, masons, or welders.  

As for special needs students, my school was far worse in that regard as in a teacher quit over the program or to put it better lack of one.

4 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

I didn't want to attend vo-tech, I went to college and had about 75% of it paid off with scholarships, got BS degree in engineering, a BS degree in math, and a minor in environmental engineering.  I applying to applied math PhD programs currently.

Mostly I just always thought it was messed up how the guidance counselor treated vo-tech students cause I was good friends with a few and some were really smart but wanted to be mechanics, masons, or welders.  

As for special needs students, my school was far worse in that regard as in a teacher quit over the program or to put it better lack of one.

Don't be hard on yourself. Those degrees definitely aren't BS. ;)

9 hours ago, DarkHunter said:

I wanted to be an archaeologist. Unfortunately that required debt for proper training whereas smearing cement plaster on a wall or smacking rocks with blunt objects and stacking them was something I was paid to learn. Being of an indolent persuasion I opted for the latter and content myself to relegating archeological studies to a diversion for entertainment.

Edited by Jarocal
I sold Vyse the red paint