Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bush vows to spread democracy

Fluffybunny

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In his second inaugural speech, President Bush on Thursday called on the "force of human freedom" to "break the reign of hatred" and "expose the pretensions of tyrants" in the world.

During the first wartime inauguration ceremony in decades, Bush indirectly referred to the Iraq war, saying that "because we have acted in the great liberating tradition of this nation, tens of millions have achieved their freedom. And as hope kindles hope, millions more will find it."

"We are led, by events and common sense, to one conclusion: The survival of liberty in our land increasingly depends on the success of liberty in other lands. The best hope for peace in our world is the expansion of freedom in all the world," Bush said. (Speech transcript)

Following his address, Bush attended a special luncheon in the Capitol and then boarded a limousine to lead the inaugural parade down Pennsylvania Avenue to the White House.

Near the executive mansion, the president and first lady Laura Bush exited the limousine to walk the final stretch of the route, waving to the crowd while accompanied by a phalanx of Secret Service agents.

Protesters and well-wishers lined the parade route. (Full story)

During his speech Bush also touched on domestic matters.

Character, he said, is built in families, supported by communities "and sustained in our national life by the truths of Sinai, the Sermon on the Mount, the words of the Koran and the varied faiths of our people."

He called for Americans to "look after a neighbor and surround the lost with love," and to abandon racism and bigotry.

"We have known divisions, which must be healed to move forward in great purposes -- and I will strive in good faith to heal them," Bush said.

"Yet those divisions do not define America. We felt the unity and fellowship of our nation when freedom came under attack, and our response came like a single hand over a single heart."

Bush was sworn in outside the U.S. Capitol by Chief Justice William Rehnquist, who made his first official appearance since beginning treatment for thyroid cancer in October. (Full story)

Rehnquist held a cane in his right hand as he walked slowly without assistance to the Capitol stage where Bush took the oath. Rehnquist shook the president's hand, then took his seat near the podium.

The chief justice administered the oath in a clear, raspy voice, shook hands with the president again and left the stage before Bush delivered his inaugural address.

Democratic Sen. John Kerry, who lost to Bush in the November election, stood a few feet behind the president as he was sworn in.

Vice President Dick Cheney took his oath from House Speaker Dennis Hastert, marking just the fourth time in U.S. history that the House speaker has been called on to perform that task.

More than 100,000 people attended the outdoor ceremony in chilly weather.

A small but spirited group of hecklers began shouting as Bush wound up his message. Their demonstration was promptly drowned out by mass cheering at the end of the president's remarks.

Earlier Thursday, Bush attended church services with the first lady and their twin daughters, Jenna and Barbara, at St. John's Episcopal Church. The Rev. Luis Leon delivered a 15-minute homily, said church director Hayden Bryan.

Leon appealed to the president to "invite us to be a good people, better people, beyond red states and blue states." Regardless of color or sexual orientation, he said, "We are one. ... I invite you to consider that over the next four years."

Plenty of inaugural balls

The day will be capped off by inaugural balls, including one for military personnel who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Bush is scheduled to attend nine of the balls.

The Presidential Inaugural Committee has said putting on the inaugural events will cost about $40 million, which is being raised from private donors -- more than half of them corporations that gave as much as $250,000 each -- as well as sales of tickets and merchandise.

In addition, the federal government and District of Columbia will bear the costs of providing security, expected to be around $20 million.

Organizers have scheduled events to honor military personnel, including Thursday night's Commander in Chief Ball, which is expected to draw 2,000 troops.

"The president made it clear that he wanted to pay special tribute in a special way to those armed forces -- men and women -- who put their lives on the line every day, with particular emphasis on the war on terror," said Greg Jenkins, the inaugural committee's executive director.

Security at all-time high

Thursday's inauguration is the first presidential swearing-in since the September 11, 2001, attacks.

In a vivid demonstration of how much the world has changed since Bush's last inauguration four years ago, security "will be at the highest levels of any inauguration," Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said.

About 6,000 officers from dozens of law enforcement agencies are on patrol throughout the city, along with 2,500 military troops involved in security operations.

In addition, 4,700 military personnel are involved in ceremonial functions for inaugural events, according to Maj. Gen. Galen Jackman, commander of the Military District of Washington.

Streets around federal facilities in central Washington are blocked off to keep vehicles away from inaugural activities, and subway closings will affect four Metro rail stations at various times of the day. (Full story)

Link

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• retired UM

• Fluffybunny

• Novo

• jenk

Top Posters In This Topic

no.gif Edited by jenk

How can you teach democracy with bombs? Did the citizens vote on getting blown up? I bet the Republicans rigged the machines or something, I mean how could they vote to get blown up a SECOND time. Better go take my paxil.. I forgot today

*looks out onto his street and sees houses burning as American bombers fly over*

Yay! I'm finally free! I love you Bush!

This morning on the news they repeated Bush saying how he wanted to bring democracy for all, about 5 times with th, news reportes saying that now the world is left wondering what excatly that means!

More invasions maybe, Iran, north korea etc........ Well whatever it is its bound to end up with may people dead, sadly!

I also heard on the news that on his second term, he has swore/vowed that there will be a end of tyrant of the world

Democratic Sen. John Kerry, who lost to Bush in the November election, stood a few feet behind the president as he was sworn in.

Link

458125[/snapback]

as i say in the immortal words of jon stewart, " Awkward!"

I wouldnt want to live under America "Freedom", I love True Freedom, Canadian Freedom.

Now, Can some one give me a map and i will invade the US, they wont be able to stop me untill texas, so. On to Victory LOL

~Thanato

Edited by Thanato