Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hindus out to reclaim swastika

Subtemperate

Hindus in the UK have launched a campaign to reclaim the swastika from associations with the Nazis.

German MEPs called for a Europe-wide ban of the symbol after Prince Harry wore it on an ill-advised fancy costume earlier this month.

However, the symbol had been a Hindu good luck charm for centuries, said Hindu Forum spokesman Ramesh Kallidai.

The group is set to stage public awareness workshops across the UK and lobby politicians to educate people and prevent a ban.

"It's the second most sacred symbol in the Hindu tradition, which has been used for 5,000 years to ward off evil," said Mr Kallidai, who revealed a special effort would be made to get the message across to Jewish groups offended by the image.

He added: "Hindus use the swastika merely as a religious sacrament, to express their devotion to God. Surely nobody can have any objections to that?

"Just because, at a particular moment in history, one section of society used it, or a mirror image, to unleash xenophobic ideology does not mean Hindus should be punished.

"It's like saying the Ku Klux Klan burn crosses so therefore let's ban the use of crosses worldwide."

Some British Euro-MPs have also spoken out against a ban.

West Midlands Liberal Democrat Liz Lynne said: "I understand how the burden of history weighs upon my German colleagues' view.

"However, banning symbols cannot ban evil and risks playing into the hands of those who would seek to subvert the very liberties we most champion."

Here

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fluffybunny

• Novo

• Subtemperate

• warden

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd think twice before I did that. The swastika is just permenantly projected as a symbol of evil.

I don't care how good of a PR firm you have; you are never going to be able to pass off a swastika as a good thing...it just isn't going to happen.

Ill tell you how bad it has got ,in SCOTLAND the executive would not allow the ST ANDREWS CROSS fly on our own parliment

they say we must fly the UNION JACK as not to upset any one

By flying the UNION JACK they have upset 5 million people

But we are scottish so who gives a **** angry.gif