Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Germans ‘sick of Nazi reminders’

DC09

MOST Germans would prefer to forget the Holocaust and are tired of hearing about Nazi crimes during the Third Reich, according to a poll released just before the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, writes Justin Sparks.

Some 62% of the 3,000 people questioned by researchers from the University of Bielefeld agreed they were “sick of all the harping on about German crimes against the Jews”.

Most said they wished to consign their country’s Nazi past to the history books. Well over half also thought there were too many foreigners living in Germany.

The poll horrified Lord Janner, a spokesman for British survivors of Auschwitz. “It’s appalling,” he said. “It raises fears that the current generation are not ready to pass on the history and lessons learnt from those events to their children.”

Political analysts believe the findings reflect a growing feeling among younger Germans that they have atoned sufficiently for their grandparents’ crimes and now have the right to bury the past. Their attitude has been fuelled in part by books and documentaries showing the destruction caused by Allied second world war bombing raids.

“This trend began with revisionist historians telling Germans they were really the victims of the war rather than its perpetrators,” said Abraham Cooper, dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center.

The poll also highlights anti-Israeli feeling in Germany. More than two-thirds said they believed that Israel was waging “a war of extermination” against the Palestinians.

Article

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• morpheas

• Hotoke

• warden

• Subtemperate

I say the Germans should just get used to it. Its history, your ancestors lived it, learn it and go on! mad.gif

No matter how hard they try and forget their history they will never succeed, the holocaust is something that will never be forgotten and shoudl never be forgotten!

I say the Germans should just get used to it. Its history, your ancestors lived it, learn it and go on!

While I agree, do you remember and learn from the slaying of "native americans"?

Edited by Subtemperate

Where shall i start

The german youth that are the next generation probarly could not care less,it wasnt them ,it wasnt there mum or dad, it was there grandads generation.

I am a scots man and very proud of it,for hundreds of years my people have been sluaghtered by the english,tortured,raped,mutilated and driven to starvation a sort of ethnic cleansing in those days.

they get taught this in school but when they are growing up they want to forget the terrible past and get on with there neighbours but you will always have a few who cant let go

like the germans the past is the past dwell on it to much and problems start to appear

history is a good reminder of the good and bad but we should be looking to the future so we can try and get on with one another.

morpheas is right most germans didn't agree with hitler. Also it wasn't just germans who were nazi, many other countries were involved in nazisim.

morpheas is right most germans didn't agree with hitler. Also it wasn't just germans who were nazi, many other countries were involved in nazisim.

461440[/snapback]

Bullocks.

Hitler was chosen by majority of popular vote, when everyone who was interested could know his ideology (he published Mein Kampf years before).

Also, 1 million Germans in the SS pretty much shows that most of the Germans did agree with him.... and, if you consider the millions of members in the Nazi party, which wasn't compulsory, then you just can't say that most germans didn't support him.

On the other hand, many people in Europe support the Nazis, the Austrians were equal citizens of the Third Reich (as oppose to the Czechs and Poles), not to forget the hundreds of thousands of volunteers all over Europe into the Wermacht disgust.gif.

P.S although most germans did support the Nazis actively or passively, a brave minority of the germans didn't support them and for that they payed their life.

Unfortunately, they weren't many enough to stop the Nazi madness.

so was Bush, but that doesnt make everyone who voted for him, a war monger lover!!! afteral, he said it himself, he is a WAR PRESIDENT!!! lets not forget that aye!

Equating Bush to Hilter... yeah... very rational indeed wacko.gif

and now we have cults/groups (whatever you want to call them) such as the KU Klux Klan in the US (mainly) which is intent on picking up where the nazis left off.

lets condemn all americans for habitting the Ku Klux Klan!! disgust.gif

(i was joking btw)

Ahem... first of all, the KKK was created long before the Nazis, in the late 1860s.

Second, if the KKK would have been voted into office, and won the majority in the Senate and Congress, then yes, I would have condemn the American people for supporting them.

Obviously, that didn't happen and is not likely to happen any time in the foreseeble futue wacko.giftongue.gif.

Almost every country has events in its past that it's not proud of.

It all belongs in the history books, but we certainly don't need everyday reminders.

No matter how hard they try and forget their history they will never succeed, the holocaust is something that will never be forgotten and shoudl never be forgotten!

While I agree... we all know what happened when we forced germany to remember the history of WW1 and pay for it...

Second, if the KKK would have been voted into office, and won the majority in the Senate and Congress, then yes, I would have condemn the American people for supporting them

Actually, in the early part of the 20th century, the Klan wielded considerable political power. Its members included senators, governors, members of the house of representatives, and local officials of all stripes. Harry Truman was briefly a member, long before his presidency.

They should learn there history, my German Friend gets sick everytime i, or someone else, brings up the name hitler. But at least he knows his history, he knows all about what happend.

If we dont learn from our mistakes, history is doomed to repeat its self.

~Thanato

Exactly and we all have or Skeltons. Its how we treat these errors or LEARN from them that helps us grow. If you forget the past your doomed to repeat it!

The racial germanic phenotype that the Germans of Nazi Germany glorified in their idealogy is long gone and now a rarity in Germany, Let alone the world...

Germany is now multi-cultural and multi-racial to the max.

The new "Germans" do not need to worry about a new Nazi Germany or Fourth Reich arising. That is just silly.

They should just relax now. There is nothing really to worry about. The Allied forces won WWII. happy.gif

Nazi Germany, The Third Reich is gone for good, it is fin, it is over. I seriously doubt it is coming back unless there really is a Nazi base in Antarctica or in the hollowed out Earth. laugh.gif

Human history is the greatest story ever, Why would anyone want to alter, hide, or ignore it? thumbsup.gif

Germany almost conquered Europe twice, Was involved in and played a major role in two great World Wars, And they want to erase it from their history, let alone the worlds? rolleyes.gif

Edited by Athenian

Its important to keep and remember the past mistakes, to no repeat them. But in the case of the Germans, they are contiuned slaped in the face whit the "you were the nazis" slogan. Had the grand-child to pay for the sins of their Grand-fathers?

I can see both sides of this issue. It is vital to teach history, to learn from it and to keep the lessons alive (whether they be about Naziism, the KKK and racism in America, the treatment of Native Americans, or whatever. At the same time, if you are constantly reminded that you (meaning your country, your race, whatever) were the "bad guys" it can get tiring.

We need to find a balance, a way to hold onto the history without holding onto the hatred. The Germans of today are blameless for the actions of their ancestors (just as we all are), but it is important to remember the lessons learned to keep that type of evil from rising to power again, not necessarily in Germany, but in anywhere in the world.

I think we all need to be reminded, but not every time we turn around. In history class, it seems we are always talking about the holocaust or slavery. Of course it is followed by two weeks of world history, then back to the holocaust and slavery for the rest of the year. disgust.gif Ironically, we seem to forget about the Native Americans. mad.gif

as some americans are sick of being reminded with slavery and saying:get over it. same story with the germans

462795[/snapback]

Exactly