Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teddy734

Man sets son on fire because he lost custody

14 posts in this topic

Updated: 03:31 PM EST

Man Who Set Son on Fire May Face Life

By DAVID KRAVETS, AP

SAN FRANCISCO (Jan. 24) - The man who set his 6-year-old son on fire to avenge a custody battle 22 years ago is on trial again and could go to prison for life.

Jury selection resumed Monday in the case of Charley Charles, formerly Charles Rothenberg. He faces trial on gun possession and other charges and could face sentencing under the state's tough "three strikes" law.

Jury selection began last week, and opening statements were set to begin as early as Monday afternoon.

In 1983, Rothenberg took his 6-year-old son, David, to a motel in the Los Angeles suburb of Buena Park and gave the boy a sleeping pill. He then doused the boy with kerosene, set him on fire and left.

He said he was distraught over losing the boy to his estranged wife in a custody battle. David survived, but suffered third-degree burns over 90 percent of his body and was badly disfigured.

The father was convicted of attempted murder, arson and other charges and received 13 years in prison, the maximum penalty at the time. He was released for good behavior after serving 6 1/2 years.

In 1990, the boy, who told prosecutors he never wanted to see his father again, changed his name to David Jordan Robinson, in honor of professional basketball stars Michael Jordan and David Robinson, who befriended him.

The 10 new counts against the father include charges he withdrew money from cash machines using other people's ATM cards, and being a felon in possession of a firearm. Under the state's three strikes law, enacted in 1994 to punish repeat offenders, he could face a sentence of 25 years to life.

In 1996, a jury acquitted Rothenberg, then known as Charles Bocca, of charges he shot a man in the head.

ohmy.gif Kill him!

angry.gif

Put in in a box without enough room to move, and let him get scars from his own excrement. Wash him off once a month, and put him back in.

What an idiot. Lock him up, throw away the key.

jeeeze.... well, that's not cool at all.

Take him somehwere quite shot him and erase all records he ever existed. A man like that doesn`t deserve to live with civilised people in our society!

How disgusting that he could burn his own son alive, and then be put in jail for only 6 1/2 years.

The father was convicted of attempted murder, arson and other charges and received 13 years in prison, the maximum penalty at the time. He was released for good behavior after serving 6 1/2 years.

The SOB should have been taken out back of the court house and hung. Thirteen years in prison? What kind of justice is that. If someone did that to my kid...they would die a very quick death....as quick as I could pull the trigger! angry.gif

I guess that's what they call "tough love"! thumbsup.gif Man...I'm horrible... dontgetit.gif

Man what a sick person. Someone should douce him with gasoline and throw a match at him. Let him feel the pain he caused his son. angry.gif

Poor boy crying.gif .....and I sit here on my seat, with all my flesh...

Let them out so they can drain society and endanger more peoples lives.

God, when will we get a decent law system!?

Good God, I have heard of a lot... but never someone setting their own son on fire. he must be severely mentally unstable. My heart goes out to that boy, in fact it's one of the most upsetting things i've read in a while...

My God, thats disgusting. His poor son will probably never live a normal life! Humans make me sick. angry.gif

Edited by Syaoransbear