Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poll: Catholics Favored Bush Over Kerry

DC09

John Kerry managed the best showing in decades for a Democratic presidential candidate among mainline Protestants, but his failure to capture a majority of Roman Catholics — people of his own faith — gave President Bush an important advantage in last November's election, according to a new survey.

Bush's showing also improved dramatically among Hispanic Protestants, 63 percent of whom supported him in 2004 — a 31 percent gain over 2000.

The postelection phone survey of 2,730 people, conducted by the University of Akron and sponsored by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, is a close study of voting behavior and religious faith.

Among non-Hispanic Catholics, Kerry won the support of 69 percent with those with liberal or "modernist" beliefs, while 72 percent of "traditionalists" favored Bush. But importantly, 55 percent of the key swing group of "centrists" picked Bush over Kerry, who was criticized by bishops for his support of abortion rights.

The upshot: A one-time Democratic mainstay, Catholics gave Bush an overall edge of 53 percent to Kerry's 47 percent.

Overall, the mainline Protestant vote split evenly, the poll found, with a Bush decline of 10 percent from 2000 and the best showing for a Democrat since the 1960s; results before then are unclear.

Divisions between religious liberals and conservatives were even more stark than they were four years ago.

"The American religious landscape was strongly polarized in the 2004 presidential vote and more so than in 2000," concluded the team of four political scientists, led by Akron's John C. Green.

The scholars said Bush's religious constituency included Christian traditionalists in all categories, Mormons, Hispanic Protestants and religious centrists among Catholics and mainline Protestants.

Kerry's support came from black Protestants and secular Americans, followed by "modernists" among Catholics and mainline Protestants. Jews and Latino Catholics remained loyally Democratic.

Other questions focused on social issues like abortion and gay marriage, which were thought to be crucial when Nov. 2 exit polls showed "moral values" were more important to voters than Iraq (news - web sites), terrorism or the economy.

The study concluded that "social issues were quite important to the Bush vote, but a secondary factor for the electorate as a whole."

The quadrennial Akron surveys are notable for careful interviewing on respondents' precise religious affiliations and religious views and activities. The poll had a margin of error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points.

Article

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• fearfulone

• DC09

• Doctor_Strangelove

This might have meant more prior to election not this far after

I'm not that surprised, the Pope and all that also helped Naxi war criminals flee to Chile. They have a tendency to support the far-right.

I'm not that surprised, the Pope and all that also helped Naxi war criminals flee to Chile.

476727[/snapback]

Actually the Vatican helped hide thousands of Jews in WWII, and the chief Rabbi of Rome converted to Catholicism after the war in gratitude to the Pope.

Bush is hardly far right...

Sure he is, not as far right as the fascists, but he is far right.

Actually the Vatican helped hide thousands of Jews in WWII, and the chief Rabbi of Rome converted to Catholicism after the war in gratitude to the Pope.

I don't care much for 'DURING', but you'll find they quickly changed sides as soon as the USSR was occuping half-way line. The Odessa-Line was run by vatican.

Oh how i love how people think the Vatican is some crazy secret society....its a religious institution people, not the NWO or the inner workings of the masons...yes i know shady things go on from time to time, but i'd like to have a little more faith than that...

and NO NO NO bush is not far right, if anything he is a liberal conservative......conservatives in America (not around the world) complain that he's not conservative enough about a variety of topics... to liberal europe he may seem far right, but he is far from far right....

and the reason more Catholics voted for Bush rather than Kerry is because Kerry pretty much "excommunicated" himself by receiving "communion" while voting for Pro Abortion policies...the Church teaches very clearly, those who vote or support "pro-death" policies(as they call it), are in mortal sin and can not receive communion, if they do so, they automatically are excommunicated..... Bush was more pro life and held more values closer to Catholic teaching.

Oh how i love how people think the Vatican is some crazy secret society....its a religious institution people, not the NWO or the inner workings of the masons

Oh I know their not the nWo, they just think they are.

Church teaches very clearly, those who vote or support "pro-death" policies(as they call it), are in mortal sin and can not receive communion, if they do so, they automatically are excommunicated..... Bush was more pro life and held more values closer to Catholic teaching.

I'm sorry, but doesn't Bush support the death penalty? So basically their okay willing killing at one end, just not the other?

Oh how i love how people think the Vatican is some crazy secret society....its a religious institution people, not the NWO or the inner workings of the masons

Oh I know their not the nWo, they just think they are.

Church teaches very clearly, those who vote or support "pro-death" policies(as they call it), are in mortal sin and can not receive communion, if they do so, they automatically are excommunicated..... Bush was more pro life and held more values closer to Catholic teaching.

I'm sorry, but doesn't Bush support the death penalty? So basically their okay willing killing at one end, just not the other?

482903[/snapback]

I'm talking about Catholic teaching Talon....the Catholic Church teaches that in some situations the death penalty is necessary. sleepy.gif