Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Empath?

Kismit

I was just surfing around the net . When I came across the expression empath used by a medium to discribe someone who feel peoples emotions and feelings.

I guess the term must discribe someone who exhibits empathy for things . But I was wondering If any body else had heard of this before or even experienced it ?

I must say that I do feel people's pain . I know when my Husband aches I ache in the same places and I have quite often felt others emotions .

So any body else heard of this ?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kismit

• Loonboy

• Kira

• TheOracle

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard of twins experiencing the same sensations and emotions at the same times, more noticeably when the twins were not together.

When I was very young, I had friends nearby in the neighbourhood who were twins and on one occasion in a playground, one twin had an accident where his foot was caught on a child's swinging cage (they don't have them any more because of these accidents). His foot was bashed and basically pointed around in the opposite direction.

Anyway, he went to hospital and then came home after a couple of days. When he got home, he slept quite happily, not having much pain at all, but the other twin couldn't sleep at all as his foot was killing him...

Go figure.

Cool story L.B .

My Husband had a really nasty car accident a few years back . He suffered quite a bit of damage to his left wrist and right thigh . Sometimes they still ache and I can feel it . I have allways hoped that I was taking some of the pain for him and making it more bearable .

I can often 'pick up' on what a person is feeling.. esp if they are close to me.. but I think the best example was when my ex went shopping for a new car.....

I didn't know he had, I texted him at 3:30 on a Thurs afternoon saying'ok what have you bought this time... I bet it's another vauxhall...'

At that time,( he told me later on) he was handing over the money for the car...and was that gobsmacked at my text that he didn't answer me..... Instead he drove back to my place where he parked it outside....

Now he's worried that he can't keep secrets from me... biggrin.gif

I have also suprised my friends on the odd occasion by texting them say 'u ok? when normally the are not very well or are upset.... I can't tell you why it happens,, it just does... tongue.gif

But I think the worse one was when my best friend was in hospital after cutting herself.. and I knew and felt what she had done... that was not good.

They are great stories Celtic,

I've allready posted the story about the day my Sister was hit by the car outside our house . Just to recap though ....My mum and I both heard the tyres screach . Jumped out of our seats and called out her name at the same time . I just new it was her . and the time my sister stuck her finger in the light bulb socket at the back of the fridge , just left me laughing I new she was allright I had seen the stupid thing she had done in my head , when I heard the scream .

However feeling other peoples pain is diferent it's more physical , and my Husband the only person I told before now that I can do this has gotten used to me asking how his leg is when mine is aching . It's kind of a nice bonding thing rolleyes.gif

Kismit, that is an amazing ability you have although sometimes I imagine you might wish you didn't have it.

I was wondering if when you feel the pain that your husband has, are you able to aleviate it and if so does that have any effect on the pain your husband is feeling ?.

I have no Idea Oracle . I would like to think that I ease the pain by taking some away . But I'ts probably more likely to be sycosematic (can't speell that one) biggrin.gif

Actually, Kismit, doctors/scientists have been researching empathy for years, especially in twins and mother/offspring relationships. There are many stories of people feeling when a brother or son has been killed in wartime, or maybe a sister in another state has been seriously injured or received very bad news. And on the lighter side is the expectant Dad having the empathetic pregnancy pains (morning sickness, back pain, dizzy spells, etc...) smile.gif

I guess the closer you are to someone, the stronger these feelings are. I have always believed that is how some of these wonder pets find their way back to their families who have moved hundreds of miles away. Animals are very empathetic. They are very good at knowing when you are happy or sad.

I heard once that to evaluate sombody's empathy levels you just have to watch the way they interact with people from different culture's. For instance how many people here start speaking with a Scottish accent when they are in the room with a Scot or an English accent when speaking to somebody English or worse still I can't seem to keep my hands still when talking to an Italian . biggrin.gif

For instance how many people here start speaking with a Scottish accent when they are in the room with a Scot or an English accent when speaking to somebody English  or worse still I can't seem to keep my hands still when talking to an Italian . biggrin.gif

Then I can just imagine the two of us having a very animated

conversation! laugh.gif

Sometimes just reading a book and imagining the accent, I

catch myself talking like that! biggrin.gif

laugh.gif If I spend even a half hour with my Nanna . There's a moose loose aboot my hoose for hours biggrin.gif