Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Email I got

Althalus

Guys, I just got this email from DA, from the mazehouse, others will get this also, but for those who don't I thought I would put it here.

> Hi all

>

> Please help. it will only take a minute to do and this atrocity can hopefully

> be prevented. Can you pass the message on also to get others involved. I

> appreciate that you're all busy but together perhaps the difference can be

> made.

>

> Thanks

>

> Bill

>

> Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 7:06 PM

> Subject: Amina Lawal's sentence to death by stoning

>

>

> TO ALL EMAILERS

> The Nigerian supreme court has upheld the death sentence for Amina Lawal,

> condemned to death for the crime of adultery on August 19th 2002, to be

> buried up to her neck and stoned to death.

>

> Her death was postponed so that she could continue to nurse her baby and is

> now set for June 3rd. The baby is regarded as the evidence of her

> adultery.The father denied everything when he realised the trouble he was in.

>

> This case is being handled by the Spanish branch of Amnesty International,

> which is attempting to put together enough signatures to make the Nigerian

> gov. rescind the death sentence. A similar campaign saved another Nigerian

> woman, Safiya, condemned in similar circumstances.

>

> It will only take you a few seconds to sign Amnestys petition online. Go to

> the web page

> http://www.amnistiaporsafiya.org '>here.(There is also a photo of mother and baby on

> the site)

>

> Enter your first name in the space for 'nombre'

> last name'appellido'

> UK is 'Reino Unido

> Then click on 'Seguir' and go to 2nd page. Be sure to click on 'aceptar' to

> have your name added to the list....

>

> Please sign now and send to everyone on your address book.

>

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Moose

• neen

• Nintendork

• theSOURCE

I've signed too altho Amnesty say they are not the originators of the e-mail which is doing the rounds. I don't care if they are or not ......to do that to another human being is reprehensible and morally bankrupt.

Here is a relevant snippet from Oprah.com

An Update on Amina's Story

We asked for at least one million e-mails to help save Amina's life, and the response was amazing. Over 1.2 million of you logged on to help! And you made a difference—while the law has not officially changed, the Nigerian government has publicly announced that they will not enforce any stoning sentences handed down by the religious court. While there is no written guarantee, the government has made several assurances that they will not be carrying out Amina's sentence. However, there is concern that vigilantes might take the stoning into their own hands, which means that Amina and others sentenced to stoning remain vulnerable without full protection of the law.

There are a variety of angles in which I could comment on this case, but I think I will leave it at this: this doesn't come close to a complete solution and in some ways it doesn't even work towards one.

I actually signed this one a month or so ago . Did you know that the man involved in the adultery just get's off scott free. More signatures can't hurt a very good cause . Thanx for posting it Al .

I have signed the petition because I believe the death sentence should be passed onto other bigger capital crimes, however this does not excuse the man or the woman of committing adultery. Betrayal of trust is the worst thing someone could do to you.

I understand the intention is admirable, but your contribution may not have the effect you desire. I just happened to run into this article;

"Toronto Star columnist Michele Landsberg wrote a May 10th column titled "E-petition to save Amina could harm, not help". It was concerning the case of Amina Lawal, who was sentenced to be stoned to death by a Sharia court in Nigeria for unwed sex. Many petitions (including one at Oprah's site) have surfaced to "save" Amina, but none of them will be effective, say officials at BAOBAB, a legal defense fund set up for women sentenced to death under Sharia law.

According to Landsberg, BAOBAB says that the Sharia courts see Western non-Muslims as "infidels", resent their meddling and have complete disregard for their opinions. In fact, "contemptuous e-mails from Western sources merely inflame the defiant attitudes of Taliban-type local leaders and spur them to ever harsher and more extreme actions". Also, these petitions imply that villagers are helpless victims who must be rescued by the white cowboys over in 'Merrica.

BAOBAB argues cases in the Sharia courts from a Muslim perpective, with expertise in Islamic law. In all of the cases that BAOBAB has argued on appeal, none of the original sentences of stoning have been carried out."

What you may want to consider is that alarmist e-mails like this just inflame racial resentment and oversimplify complex cultural issues.

Magikman

Sometimes I wonder if certain people are naive or

deceptive. dry.gif

"Toronto Star columnist Michele Landsberg wrote a May 10th column titled "E-petition to save Amina could harm, not help".

YES!! Stick with the kid!

Just like I said 2 days earlier!

I half wonder if Michele Landsberg hangs out here and pilfered my idea... oh well, even if she did, no one owns a good idea.

• 4 months later...

That's great news sarkypi. I am puzzled a bit by mooslem laws. It seems that a person can be stoned to death for adultery but they are praised for flying planes into buildings killing thousands of innocent people. Very strange indeed.

PS I do agree with you Vox that betrayal of trust is a terrible thing but murder of innocents is worse.

i did not sign cause I dont care!!!!!! devil.gif

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DarkStar, you have every right to post your opinion on this board. But can you tell why on Earth do you have such low regard for the life of an innocent human being???

Darkstar has made an extreme sport out of posting for the sake of posting.

He has no opinion. In my opinion (because I do have one), he's just a bored adolescent looking to kill some time spewing nonsense.

I try to tolerate him.

It's hard.

Edited by Phantom