Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

General chess talk

Thistle

So....

Because I'm nosey, what kind of chess does everyone prefer to play? I prefer live chess myself, not very good at keeping track of a game plan if I have to wait 24 hours for someone to move laugh.gif plus I get bored waiting for a game to finish, I'd much rather just get on with it.

Also I thought we could pass on some tips to some of the less experienced players to help them improve their game altho obviously not anything that is going to affect a game in progress lol.

my tip for the day - never underestimate your pawns, every one of them is a potential queen.

thumbsup.gif

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• Subtemperate

• Elfstone810

• Talon

If its with a chess board, then live, but if its online then might as well have a big long think. Although it is annoying when you've got your opponent beaten yet they cling on to every last move they can make meaning the game goes on another day or two before you finally get the mate.

my tip for the day - After the Queen, the rook is the most powerful piece. Its suicide to give it up.

my tip for the day - After the Queen, the rook is the most powerful piece. Its suicide to give it up.

523779[/snapback]

And after those two, the pawn is the most powerful piece wink2.gif.

So if you lost both your queen and your rooks, be sure to have pawns lying around to get them into your enemy's base thumbsup.gif .

i think every piece is equally valuable-but i tend to favor the knight for its ability to jump-im curious if anyone here enjoys chess "variants" -im a big fan -most are just simple rule variations and other add features like new pieces or cards(like nightmare chess-which uses an 80 card deck of cards that are drawn for each turn and affect rules in different ways)--a good example of a rule variation type would be Hostage Chess

-here is an exaple of avariant that adds a new piece Gothic Chess

-heres a look at Knightmare Chess

and finally just so you will realize the depth of variety in chess "variants" here is a link to the official "variant" page with an uncountable number 0f variations-Chess Variants-some can be played on computers using the program on the variant page called "zillions of games"-some need to be played live--enjoy--im actually putting the finishing touches on my own variant and it rocks but i still need to copyright and patent the rules-its cool though

Edited by Sunofone

Guest Lottie

My tip of the day...spray some deodrant on palms of hands to stop them sweating when playing Tal or Thistle. grin2.gif

Is there a player out there as bad as me!?

I thought i was good until i started playing all you... you Brits and Scots. What you practice everyday!? That's how you guys fight wars isn't it!!

laugh.gif

Your not that bad BS tongue.gif

Talon's tip of Monday: Keep knights to the centre of the board

I thought i was good until i started playing all you... you Brits and Scots. What you practice everyday!? That's how you guys fight wars isn't it!!

laugh.gif

524135[/snapback]

are you in the tourny? i am in the same boat as you-i was pretty confident in my abilities but these guys are tough! ill play you if your not in the tourny otherwise well probably play soon-talon is closing in on me

I am in the torney yes.

So far, lost 5 practice games, and one torney game, soon to be two. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

524135[/snapback]

I think I am. Dot beat me, and I think subby's about to beat me blink.gif

I take that as a backhanded insult Janiel..... lol

Incidently, Subtemperate and Janiel - there is an opening in the chess tournament for 1 or 2 new players, if either of you want to join in.

Yeah ok....Im not good, but I suppose i should learn...lol

Talon's been moaning at me to join up...I suppose I might....I'll give it a go if Janiel isn't interested.

Edited by Seraphina

Ok sure Sera, I think I can actually add the three of you if Janiel wants to join aswell, there are two players who haven't played a single game who I'm probably going to remove from the list.

The White Beared Overfiend is wise original.gif

The White Beared Overfiend is wise

Santa? crying.gif

BTW my RHP name is subby...

I wasn't quite so imaginative, and am plain old Seraphina.

Ok thats you both added to the scoreboards and to the tournament list, whenever you complete a tournament game against someone, post up the results on the Match Results thread so I can update the scores. thumbsup.gif

As of Wednesday 16th March I will be away until after Easter as I have to work in London till then, if I have any outstanding games I'll make an effort to get back here and finish them <-- see, that's dedication to the cause right there! thumbsup.gif

thebarman's tip of the day: Always assume your opponent knows what you're trying to do, this will help you think about what you're going to do if they actually DO know what you're trying to do wacko.gif

And as of Thursday 17th March I'll be away untill March 24th..... to London grin2.gif.

I'll try to finish all my current games though before I'll leave thumbsup.gif.

Awesome, so Sera, ready to lose your first torney game against me? grin2.gif

Ahh damnit Subs, i didn't even see my queen there! sad.gif

.....Well..how am I suppose to know you didnt know where your piece was...lol