Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smell associated with spirits/ghosts

RavenCraft

I don't think that smells that seem to come from nowhere are necessarily "ghosts". I think scents can be misinterpreted through natural filters surrounding us. I say this because a few years ago when I lived in California, I experienced what I can only describe as "scent pareidolia" nearly every night. I lived with friends at the time and my bedroom was at the back of the house. In the evenings when my friend was cooking dinner, I would be in my bedroom with the door closed and suddenly smell food cooking. I would immediately know what we were having and get all mentally prepared to have that for dinner. At least I thought I knew what was cooking; nine times out of ten, I was wrong about what we were about to eat. I'd walk out of my room prepared to eat one thing, only to find something quite different prepared. So I think it is entirely possible that when you believe you smell something unusual, it's not anything unusual, but by the time the scent reaches your nose it's mixed with other things in the air making it smell different than it might otherwise smell.

• Like 1

Well my mam says she as smelled a fag smell before and my grandad pass away so couldn't it be him?

Yeah it could be. If you feel threatened or it causes problems then ask it to leave. That would be cool if it was your grand dad hanging around!

My friends house that was haunted often had many different smells that had nothing to do with anything going on in the house. Her granddad had recently passed in it but she wasn't really used to his smells, she just moved it right afterwards. She would smell pizza for example suddenly and a new smell everyday. I forgot all the smells she told me about, but yeah, I know it has to do with the haunting...

• Like 1

I've heard about this occuring much of the time in houses, especially old homes that have wooden paneling or wooden furniture. Wood is porous, so it is easily penetrated by water, air, smoke, etc. Let's say someone is a heavy cigar smoker, and lives in a house for a considerable amount of time. The smoke and chemicals that a cigar releases get "absorbed" by the walls over time. After the person is gone, the chemicals can remain in the wood. Houses naturally expand and contract very regularly due to temperature change, so as the wood expands, it releases some of that chemical that it has absorbed over the years, sometimes giving off an "ghostly" random odor that people attribute to the presence of a spirit.

It's a good theory. At least that's what I usually stick with.

There are numerous reasons for a smell . The suphur rotten smells,indicate a demon ,for lack of a better word.

I've heard of perfume smells,and cigar tobacco smells . I think that's a general ghost ,who had this smell associated with them in life.

Sickly flowery smells are associated with saints actually .

Saints,and i mean actual cannonized humans,do not decompose ,and their bodies emit a very strong flower smell.

I've been told,that during a time of divine intervention,a very strong flower smell is present .

It actually happened once,in regard to me. I did not experience it ,my mother did .Pretty much at the exact moment I came very close to being killed,miles away from her,in a different time zone. This is when this was mentioned to me,because my mom was overwhelmed when her entire kitchen filled with the smell of flowers. She described it as the smell from old time funerals,when they were held in the home,and all the flowers made the house smell for weeks later.

But if you do a bit a research,saints smell of flowers,and they supposidly emit some sort of liquid ,that also smells of flowers,that has all kinds of magickal powers.

I have smelled flowers and tabacco ,in passing ,but i couldn't relate it to anything specific .

well if it was a demon i don't understand why it would just do this in my house after 27 years we've never had nothing strange happen in our home before and i wasnt only person to smell it as my mam was in same room, only strange stuff as happen to me at my work place and that was strange and scary.

Never experinced it.

Thanks,

How does everyone except from me know what a demon smells like lol?

Your not alone!

well if it was a demon i don't understand why it would just do this in my house after 27 years we've never had nothing strange happen in our home before and i wasnt only person to smell it as my mam was in same room, only strange stuff as happen to me at my work place and that was strange and scary.

1- have you done anything new to the house or property lately ?

Construction,digging,remodeling ?

2- what happened at work,and when did it happen ? Could have followed you home. They do that .

In Madison, Wi., I was visiting a loved one. WHile this loved one was at work, I put myself down to do some HemiSync (monroe institute). I was near an old dairy site between the two lakes. Anyway, I know I went deeply into the meditation, but I fell asleep during some of the meditaton, like Bob has you do/ Anyway, when I woke, there was a horrible sulfuric smell that was literally located in my nose. It eventually faded out during the day. However it would return when I laid down to sleep. I didn't attach a positive or negative label to this experience. I simply didn't place a judgement on it, nor did I resist it. It just was, ... in my nose at certain times of the day. Once I got home, it took about two weeks before I could go to sleep without that smell in my nose. I think my other meditations, and the programming that Bob leads us thru must have chased off whatever it was that was leaving that stench.

It was kind of a persistant smell, that much is for sure.

It might be noted that there were energy healers running a shop nearby where I meditated and where I was staying.

We had kitchen done up and bath room in our house, what happen at work was really strange me and a friend did have to do some work over at a building called leengate in nottingham we went over there from 5:30am intil 7am, i worked over there for a while with my mate, others said strange stuff had happen over there before and i never took no notice because i didn't belive in ghosts at that time, my mate did have to go off with is shoulder for a while as he needed to have a op on it so i was alone doing the job, first day he wasnt there i went to work up stairs in two floor building and soon as i switch the alarm off and switch lights on as it was pitch black (being dark out side) and i went to do job not long after i heared a bang i thought nothing of it, i thought it was some thing in the roof or out side not long after the door went down hall way that s**t me up and i just had feeling i was being watched it didnt feel right so i did have to lock building up and said i couldnt do the job, day after i went back over and try to put it at the back of my mind and my mate came back to work some time after, i telled him about it but every time we talked about it strange things would happen hes had a clock hit his head and the door went again when he was on the stairs (he wasnt there only me) and i hear some one walking around when nobody was there, i was standing in same place it happen before! soon as he came back off stairs i telled him about it and he said it's nothing and that it's all in my mind, a while after we was sitting down he made us both a drink and he shout is anybody there make a noise and not even a second after door down hall made a strange creak sound and i went white in the face we both looked at each other gone out, we was like wtf? We've had pcs turn em selfs on while being sit right next to em, we let a person know who works in day time about it and he looked some history up about place and they got hanged back in the day so a while after i did have to go back over when i didn't have to work there any more to fill in for some one away, i wait for the guy to get there because i was abit scared to go up stairs with me being only person as he came up stairs i felt abit safe, i talked about strange stuff what as happen to me and my friend as i couldn't get my head around it and belive it, he already know about it because we had said to him before as we was talking all power in the building just cut out he said that shouldn't of happen even fire doors locked up power was out for like 5 mins or so he seem freaked out about it and i said that killed the conversation to this day it still scares me and this strange smell as not help one bit.

Edited by qmc

Hmmm,well I would go with disturbing the house first .

The work thing sounds like they're attached to the area,and wouldn't leave.

Sometimes doing work on a place stirs them up ,and things that have always been there,get disturbed and become active.

Does the smell recur ? Or was it just the one time ?

Because if it was just once,and nothing else has occurred ,I would say it was a fluke,for reasons unknown .

Hmmm,well I would go with disturbing the house first .

The work thing sounds like they're attached to the area,and wouldn't leave.

Sometimes doing work on a place stirs them up ,and things that have always been there,get disturbed and become active.

Does the smell recur ? Or was it just the one time ?

Because if it was just once,and nothing else has occurred ,I would say it was a fluke,for reasons unknown .

It's just the once but the smell was so strong and stay in one area, there was no other reason it should be there, it was a smell i'm new too but it wasnt nice

Edited by qmc

• 3 weeks later...

About a year ago I started smelling a really strong sense of beeswax at night. It was usually only at around 10:30 and only in certain places, my brother's bathroom and my room. But then as time went on, it continued even stronger, it didn't even have to be at night, it could be in the evenings, and anywhere in my house (although it was strongest and most frequent in my room). I still smell it almost every night, and it comes in wafts. No one else in my family smells it and I am convinced there must be a spirit that is occupying my house who is represented by the smell. There was an old lady who lived here before who died after we moved in, but I never knew her, let alone well enough to find any connection between her and beeswax. Am I crazy or could this actually be a ghost?

My nana had a certain smell in her house I can't even describe it, just a mixture of everything that was her life, after she died I have smelt the smell of her house several times here in my own home & I think she is here with me sometimes

• Like 1

I know lost loved ones and spirit guides send butterflys, birds, and even situations or songs our way. So, I guess it's possible.. had never thought about smells before.

Sadly the two smells most usually associated with Spirit's, ghosts and the supernatural are bullpoo and money!

• Like 1

My housemate claims that after her uncle passed, she was working on his unfinished manuscript and smelled his aftershave in her dorm room. She said it was so strong that she had to check that she was really alone, and she checked that the corridor was empty too.

I know smells can bring back memories.

For instance, every time I smell fruit punch kool aide I think of when I was a child and lived in Florida.

I don't see why it couldn't work the other way around as well. The memory of the person is so strong that you smell them.

Don't know about the scientific part of it and I'm not going to look it up, but it just seems logical to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I have smelled unusual smells in my house, it isn't a rotten smell or smell like flowers. My mother passed away in 2008. Every so often smell a strange smell. It hard to explain , My husband also smells these smells. We cleaned our whole house walls to the floor trying to figure it where the smell was coming from, We found nothing. It is almost a musty plastic smell if I had to describe it. I did smell perfume once around our Christmas tree when I wasn't wearing any and no other human was in the house except my husband asleep in the upstairs. I believe it was my Mom right there because she loved Christmas time. I was little freaked at first and jotted upstairs to bed really fast. I was little spooked by the smell. Well my husband is smelling the smell again but I don't smell it this time yet. he says it is really strong and doesn't understand how I can't smell it. His grandmother (who raised him) recently passed this past March. Do you suppose it is her just stopping by to say hi? why am I not smelling the same smell he is beyond me.

Me too every time I cook after my kids use the stove.

edit: grammar. sheesh.

Edited by coldethyl
  • Like 1

Me too every time I cook after my kids use the stove.

edit: grammar. sheesh.

;)

I dont have any children and culinary adventures to explain this phenomenon as natural.

;)

I dont have any children and culinary adventures to explain this phenomenon as natural.

Well I wouldn't call 20 and 21 children, but they are my kids. Havoc and destruction they doth wreak.

I know i've heard stories of smells being associated with hauntings. A common sent I've heard of is the smell of roses when there is a female spirit present.

I've often used my senses to indicate if their was a spirit present: sight, hearing and also touch to sense the energy. Well I was sitting down at my desk researching for my paper and I smelt something strange. I know I have several spirits in my home, but smelling something weird has never occured to me. It smelt like decomposing food or plant matter. I put my head under the table and the smell was extremly strong. I lifted my head and smelt again and the smell was gone. I keep my place fairly clean, and there was no food on the floor or anything, so what could of it been?

Has anyone else had any experiences like this?

In the place I live in now, when I used to open the front door I would get the aroma/smell of flower's, nowhere else in my place just around the front door area

This carried on for approx 6 month's or so but has not happened now for over a year

In this exact same place, I have seen a ghost/spirit of a girl approx 10 years old, in old style clothing and ringlet's (if thats what You call them) in her hair, she was sitting on the stair's looking into my living room watching me, it was the feeling of being watched that made me turn round and look

At the time I said out loud "go to the light/walk into the light" (for some strange reason, I dont know why) a few time's, it is since then I have not seen or smelt anything, maybe it's connected, maybe not