Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chess: Moving things along

Saru

Well we've seen a lot of chess being played over the last few weeks, 69 qualifying games in total, and numerous practice matches aswell. What we need to do now is continue to get the qualifying tournament games played, but perhaps up the pace a little to help us get through them all.

There are 18 participants left in the tournament, 10 of which have only played 5 games or less, and 7 of those having played only 3 games or less.

I'd like to encourage those players in particular to try and get a few more games out of the way. After a certain point, we're going to have to start removing participants who are inactive for long periods of time, otherwise everyone else will be waiting forever to get all their games finished.

Thanks thumbsup.gif

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• gollum

• Thistle

• Saru

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be a good place to also remind everyone to set the move timeout to 1 day when setting up a game. That way if the opponent does not move for 24 hours, their 7-day timebank starts being eaten into, and once that is zero, they are disqualified.

7 day timebank still right? Or should we go lower to 5 day timebank or something, help speed things up?

7 day timebank still right? Or should we go lower to 5 day timebank or something, help speed things up?

Unfortunately I don't think you can set a 5 day timebank, 7 is the minimum. The only option lower than that is to turn the timebank off completely.

Ahh, okay then. So, 1 day move timeout, 7 day timebank.

I have a slight problem with this.

I am away most w/ends with the Army and I may very well eat into my timebank a hell of a lot quicker than most.

I'm not being auckward but I'll go along with the masses if need be.

I'm not sure that should be a problem, go to "My Settings" then "my vacation settings" and set yourself as away if need be.....you won't time out as long your set to away

thumbsup.gif

Got it T. Thank you. thumbsup.gif

539815[/snapback]

gollum & Lottie I am experiencing server problems with RHP so it may take a while for me to actually make my move

No problem Dot. I'm in no rush, I play chess every day.

Gollum's tip; Don't rush in and move even if your sure it's the right one. thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure that should be a problem, go to "My Settings" then "my vacation settings" and set yourself as away if need be.....you won't time out as long your set to away

thumbsup.gif

539788[/snapback]

My opponent, Mista Gollum, has indeed set himself on vacation status, and has been away for several days.

However, his time bank has actually continued to drop, he's down to 4 days remaining in the timebank.

What if he does not get back before his timebank reaches zero? I don't think it would be fair to claim the win, since he was under the impression he would not timeout.

But the game is very much underway, and i was literally a few moves from a win!

mellow.gif

I don't think you can claim a win if he was set to "away" I'm not sure how it works exactly but I'm sure it stops you from claiming it as a win wacko.gif

Kinda defeats the whole timeout purpose if you can stop it whenever you want though doesn't it.

Hmmmmm I can't find the bit that said you couldn't claim a win (maybe I dreamt it hmm.gif ) maybe if worst comes to worst and Gollum DOES time out you could replay the game from the point you are at now? it would save starting a whole new match

It's pretty far into the game. A good 40+ moves have been made in total, i don't think that'll work.

I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed that he gets back and moves within 4 days. original.gif

okies.....if it comes to it.....start a new game with Gollum.....but click on "advanced options" then "play from set piece". You can then set the board up exactly as it is now to play on from this point.

thumbsup.gif

Oh hey that's awesome! I didn't know you could do that.

Sweet, i'll definately do that then.

Solves that! Thanks Thistle. Most wholesome.

Well, that's interesting.

So gollum has now timed out on our game, BUT i didn't realise you could actually choose to claim the win, or continue playing as normal.

So that's good, i wont need to create the whole board as it is.

Yay!

Hi people, I'm back.

I really must apologize for disappearing like that but it really was a last minute thing I had to leave for. Thankfully I'm back now and ready to get down to the chess again. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for all your patience.

No worries gollum, i'm just glad we can continue our game. grin2.gif Welcome back!

Thanks mate. It's been a pretty hectic few days and I have'nt stopped for a minute, but I'm back home now and happy to get a good rest. thumbsup.gif