Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Questioning the speed of light

Starlyte

I subscribe to Discover magazine and in the April 2003 issue there was an article about a scientist who is challenging Einstein's theory of relativity. The link is below. I would be interested in finding out what others think about this new theory dubbed 'VSL' which stands for Varying Speed of Light.

At the Speed of Light: What if Einstein Was Wrong? Discover Magazine

After clicking on the link above click on "recent issues". It is about 3/4 the way down the page for the April 2003 issue and is the cover story.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Homer

• God18

• Starlyte

• neen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's been observed that the first light from supernova changes colors before becoming uniform. I would say that this makes a good argument for different wavelengths having varying speeds.

Personally I believe that the speed of light is not constant but my reasons are considered unorthodox at this time mellow.gif

I'd say that someone questioning Einstein's theory could also be considered unorthodox. To me that is the amazing thing about science; to be able to ask the questions and not be afraid of the anwers. I would like to here your theory on speed of light.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/07/19/...ain216905.shtml

speed of light

http://www.abc.net.au/news/scitech/2002/06...617070959_1.htm

teleportation

ok people...aliens do not exist,,,ufos do not exist

right here goes you people at seti.........ufos are not visiting earth because of the time/distance between planets...right we can now prove that teleportation can happen...all be it a laser beam....a human thing on earth......so who is to say that aliens in ufos can't teleport from 1 area of space to another... we can't so that crap seti and goverments are coming out with is horse manure

the arrogance of humans will be their downfall.....

Indeed!

But scientists really do know that all their theories are provisional.

That's diff'rent from their take on UFOs tho.. they gets *paid* ta say that stuff.. huh.gif

I believe that the speed of light is constant in a vacuum. But you are not going to find a true vacuum anywhere in the known universe, thanks to Cosmic Background Radiation. Just about anything can manipulate the speed of light. Obviously gravity and filters can, and perhaps heat can as well.

Well as I said before ... The speed of light : 10 billion years = one light year smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

But doesnt a black hole slow down time at its event horizon? If the gravity there is strong enough to bend time I am sure it must be strong enough to "slow down light".

The laws of physics-as we know them anyway-completely break down at the event horizon. Light literally no longer exists when photons reach that point

We know light doesn’t exist at the event horizon because of the nature of black holes. They are black due to the absence of light. At the event horizon, gravity is so strong that not even light can escape it. The event horizon is the point of no return

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I wasn’t as clear as I could have been. Light is made of photons, and photons do exist at the event horizon. The event horizon is the point at which gravity is so strong that not even light can escape it. So it’s not that the photons don’t exist at the event horizon, but that the gravity is too strong for them to escape. What we see is reflected light, and without the photons being able to escape the dense gravity of the event horizon, we can never actually see the light from that point. That is why black holes are black, because at that point there is no light capable of being reflected. Once the event horizon is crossed, the laws of physics—as we know them—break down.

I guess I wasn’t as clear as I could have been.  Light is made of photons, and photons do exist at the event horizon. The event horizon is the point at which gravity is so strong that not even light can escape it. So it’s not that the photons don’t exist at the event horizon, but that the gravity is too strong for them to escape. What we see is reflected light, and without the photons being able to escape the dense gravity of the event horizon, we can never actually see the light from that point. That is why black holes are black, because at that point there is no light capable of being reflected. Once the event horizon is crossed, the laws of physics—as we know them—break down.

How do you do it Homer??

sorry couldn't resist tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

post-52-1056082976.jpg

How do you do it Homer??

sorry couldn't resist tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

laugh.giflaugh.gif Good one Neen. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for that grin2.gif

Actually the theory is time becomes space and space becomes time. They exchange characteristics. Time as we know it, is an "imaginary" number. Meaning you cannot have a negative point in time ex. "What time is it? Oh about negative four o'clock." Since the theory states they swich places you would have to take space as an "imaginary number" and time as a "real" number. ex. "What time is it? Oh about 40 kilometers." Heh.

Actually the theory is time becomes space and space becomes time

eek7.gifblink.gif

Time as we know it, is an "imaginary" number
eek7.gifblink.gif

Since the theory states they swich places you would have to take space as an "imaginary number" and time as a "real" number

eek7.gifblink.gif

What theory are you talking about? Personally, I think that theory is garbage. In our known universe, there's 3 spacial dimensions, and 1 time dimension. The space-time continuum doesn't mean time becomes space and space becomes time. Although permanantly intertwined with each other from the beginning of time to eternity, they are not interchangable and they do not switch places.

Time is the nonspatial continuum in which events occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future.

Edited by Homer

When you stated: "Actually the theory is time becomes space and space becomes time", it was worded in a way which implied the theory in question was the theory that explained what we were already discussing.

Yes, Stephen Hawking stated space becomes time and time becomes space, on the other side of the event horizon. But they don't 'switch places', instead they merge into each other and become one with each other until they reach the singularity. It's only speculation, but I imagine that at the singularity, time and space no longer exist.