Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canada radio Sikh slur censured

Talon

Canada radio Sikh slur censured

A Canadian radio station has been censured for broadcasting "abusive" remarks about the Sikh community.

Psychiatrist Pierre Mailloux, host of the Doc Mailloux phone-in show on Montreal's CKAC-AM station, had referred to Sikhs as a "gang of bozos".

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC) was responding to a listener who complained it was "racism of the first order".

The station has been ordered to make a full apology.

'More compassion'

In the show, which was broadcast in December 2003, Mailloux said immigrants to Canada should abandon their traditions.

"You cultural communities come from a wacko country. You live a wacko culture. Don't bring it with you. That's the message to convey," he said.

Mailloux, referring to immigrants' attitudes, said: "I flee northern India because the Sikhs are a gang, a gang of bozos, and then I bring all that with me. No, no, you really don't get it. If you flee your country because it makes no sense, then don't bring those senseless things with you."

The CBSC said it was responding to a listener who complained of "nasty comments, tainted with insulting racism of the first order".

Its ruling said that most of Mailloux's views were "very conservative and uninviting [but] they were not in breach of any broadcaster code".

He was entitled to those views "by virtue of the principle of freedom of expression".

However, the investigating panel said that in targeting an identifiable group "he crosses the line of entitlement and loses the benefit of the shield of free expression".

"The panel considers that the host is entitled to espouse his chauvinistic intolerance until such time as his disrespect leaks into individual races and nationalities, as it did when he referred to the Sikhs as "a gang of bozos".

The CSBC said Mailloux should show "more compassion and reserve concerning immigrants".

The CSBC is a self-regulatory body set up by broadcasters to monitor standards in Canada. More than 550 radio and television stations and affiliates are members.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...sia/4396535.stm

" If you flee your country because it makes no sense, then don't bring those senseless things with you."

The gang and boozo but I get, but whats so controversial about this statement? huh.gif

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• morpheas

• Talon

• warden

• Shadowsleet

People are offended because he's suggesting that another culture's way of life is "wacky" and "senseless". The statement itself isn't too harsh -- in fact, it makes perfect sense as a stand-alone -- however the context it was used in is.

I don't necessarily believe that he should be censored, as I doubt anyone will take his argument seriously enough to incite violence against the Sikhs. But, would you not be offended if someone said that your culture was "wrong" in it's practices?

Edited by gazerbeams

Back up, Morpheas!!! It wasn't us this time! It was Canada!!!

(Sorry, but I'm sick enough of getting the fall out from all the stupid things that DO happen in my country.)

I thought the Canadians had freedom of speech! Oh well, as long as they don't censure the Maple Syrup industry. tongue.gif

Understandable. original.gif

We keep offering them statehood, but they're too busy playing hockey to listen!

It's a JOKE, okay? I'm KIDDING! Don't throw stuff at me!!! tongue.gif

I have a great deal of respect for Canada. And not just because Mounties look so hot in those uniforms. wub.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Elfstone810

every sikh ive known has been as english as any other english person i know. the only big difference i see between them and the average british person, is they go to temple on a sunday and men wear turbans.

Oh great, no wonder the foreigners have such a hard concept of the difference between England and Britain, you English people like yourself don't know either. Okay here we go for the thousand'll time. Morpheas British would include Scots, Welsh, North Irish, and English. NOT as you imply, just English, and that all average British people are English.

Why do so many people have a problem understanding this basic concept.

Talon's complaint is, I believe that the following was said...

every sikh ive known has been as english as any other english person i know. the only big difference i see between them and the average british person

Perhaps he feels the implication in that sentance is that British person = english....which is objectionable to say the least.

Knowing Talon personally, I assure you he doesn't like being called British...he sees himself as Scottish, just as I do. However, he still living in Britain, and I can understand his annoyance at the generalisation that is all too often made that Britain and England are interchangable.

You clearly have trouble grasping something of a basic concept, so I'll try and put it more plainly...

Talon obviously believed that your post was implying that english and British were interchangable...I'm not saying that's what you meant, and I'm not saying that's the message I got from your post, but it is what he understood from it...are you following so far?

Talon does not like to be thought of as British...however, that doesn't mean it isn't offensive for Britain to be refered to as england, or for a british person to be refered to as english, in some kind of blanket term. In fact, it's the fact that this blanket term is so often used that many of use so hate being called British...many people (in particular Americans I find) don't seem to realise that Britain is in fact composed of several countries...it is not just england.

Talon was offended because he believed your post was, indirectly, calling him english.

What a pest tongue.gif

I tend to associate the word bozo with lazyness, or being unemployed...I think it's just a generic insult for someone you find disagreeable.

Well if that is what it means the guy should get a stern warning from the company and let that be that,but you know it wont be left at that

The term "bozo" comes from a popular character (not sure if he was in a circus or on a kids' show or what) Bozo the Clown. So basically, when you call someone a bozo you're calling them a clown, but with a negative connotation

The term "bozo" comes from a popular character (not sure if he was in a circus or on a kids' show or what) Bozo the Clown.  So basically, when you call someone a bozo you're calling them a clown, but with a negative connotation

552607[/snapback]

Cheers thumbsup.gif my cat is nicer than yours tongue.gif and harder ,it smokes ohmy.gif