Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lord Of The Rings

Tommy

Well, I’ve just come back from the cinema, and all I can say is WOW!!  

What an amazing movie. I would recommend this to everyone…(I know you’re all going to see it anyway);)

The effects were truly breathtaking, and for one who hasn’t yet read the book, I was deeply immersed in ‘middle earth’ for some 3 hours of action-packed adventure. :)

Although some people I’ve spoken to say they have disliked it (probably because of the abruptness of the ending) the only think I could criticise about it was the certificate.  With heads and all sorts flying around, I fail to see how this was rated a PG?!

But anyhow, an amazing movie all the same.  Enjoy it!! :D

Tommy

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PurpleStuart

• Saru

• odinsupreme

• Tommy

Thanks for the review! I am very anxious and also nervous to see the movie (we're going this weekend). I first read Tolkien around age 12, and have read all his books atleast 20 times since then. I am anxious to see how they do the movie, yet nervous because I know they had to cut some things.

The book actually ended pretty abruptly too. Maybe they're trying to make sure people want more information & so they'll come back.

hey, no problem Jen.  I hope you enjoy it. Welcome to the forum by the way!!:D

I would like to know what everyone thinks about the movie, and how closely it has kept to the book.  

SaRuMaN, I never knew you had such evil tendencies in you! ;D

Tommy

The origins of my forum name have been revealed.

;D

I am seriously looking forward to seeing that movie - will probably have to wait till after the New Year before I'll get a chance to go and see it.

-SaRuMaN ThE WhItE-

I am sorry to say that I have never read the book... I know  someone hwo did he he said that it was very good, and it has to be if also everyone around here says it..

I want to go to the movie also, maybe after Chrismas or something.

Odin Supreme 8)

Thanks for the welcome to this board!

I just got back from the movie. I did read the entire series (about 20 times atleast!), and I was quite nervous (they tend to ruin it when they turn a book into a movie). Needless to say, I was VERY VERY pleased with how it turned out. Excellent movie, and excellent job to the director & writers of the film. They did leave out some parts, Tom Bombadil was not there, and some parts were just skimmed over, like the barkeeper at Bree (he was there but not in depth like he was in the book). They did add quite a skit with lady Arwen, but I think that was a good addition/change, and it didn't detract from the overall film for me. My husband saw it too, he had never read the books and he loved it too. He said he followed it very easily (sometimes it's hard to follow if you haven't read the book the movie is based on). So all together I give it 2 thumbs way up! The only disappointment is having to wait another year for part 2 (The Two Towers), and then another year for part 3(The Return of the King). Oh and by the way, I was leery of the actors they chose to play the parts (they never match up with the imagine you have in your own mind), but by the middle of the film I fell in love with them. Frodo & Aragorn were awesome.

Fantastic movie all around. Not only were the special effects and acting impressive, but the visual imagery was stunningly beautiful and imaginative. As to the films rating, there is indeed much violence, but none of the extreme gore or visual bloodletting (buckets of blood spilling from wounds or splashing the landscape) usually indicative of 'R' rated films. You tend to see even more graphic images in many of the video games kids play today. Its also not surprising that people would be disappointed in the abrupt ending, there really isn't the anticipated closure or denouement. Like Jenny stated, its similar to how the books ended, more of a 'cliff hanger' style reminiscent of the much older serial 'shorties', only this one happens to be 3 hours long. I've been far more disappointed in movies that were half as long and headlined major movie stars. Trying to fabricate a conclusion to please people's perception as to how a movie should end would have spoiled the faithful attempt to follow the original story line.  It can also be viewed as a brilliant marketing ploy,  I'm sure this will increase book sales on the trilogy tremendously for those who don't want to wait two more years to learn of the outcome.

I was also pleased at the extra benefit of viewing some interesting coming attractions. They previewed trailers for the upcoming Star Wars movie (sure to be more interesting than the first film), a remake of 'The Time Machine' (looks very promising), Spider-Man (superb looking special effects), and 'Signs' the next paranormal thriller from M. Night Shyamalan, author/director of 'The Sixth Sense' and 'Unbreakable'. Bruce Willis won't star in this film (sorry ladies) :'( , but it will have Mel Gibson (easy ladies) :o in the lead roll. The movie is based on the appearance of crop circles on a family farm in Pennsylvania. It looks like a sure winner from the preview.

MAGIKMAN at the movies  :D

I've heard about the new 'Signs' movie.  It sounds pretty interesting. There's a lot of info over at the unofficial website ==> http://www.signsmovie.co.uk. :)

"I'm sure this will increase book sales on the trilogy tremendously..."  well I've just got my copy for Christmas. :D ;D

Tommy

• 3 weeks later...

Saw LOTR a couple of weeks ago, and yes it was good. I'm a complete Tolkien fanatic, so to keep me happy is a hard task indeed. Strangely tho, my intial reaction when leaving the cinema was of disappointment, but looking back i think it was because i know the story SO well, and it was so close to how i imagined it, that it seemed like i had watched the film 5 times before. Does that make any sense?

I went just b4 Xmas to see it and WOW I was so impressed and yeah I know what u mean by being slightly disappointed..... but we only have a few months to wait till The Two Towers to come out...But when I saw it it was like reading the book on the screen.. does that sound silly... but that's the only way I can describe it....

My fave scene has to be when the enter Rivendale I an now fascinated by Elves again........sorry off to Dream again.

I was very worried how they were gonna include Arwen into the story as she only appears in a paragraph or two in the story proper. I should of guessed really - it obvious if you consider how the animated version treated the bit before the crossing at the ford.

I must admit tho i was pleasantly surprised, they handled it well in a way that lent itself to the big screen and wasn't too intrusive to the plot.

It was a great movie!!!! There was only a thing that wasn't so good, the dialogues were a bit thin...

SaRuMaN,

why have you chosen the name of an evil wizzard?

Odin Supreme 8)

The dialogue is a bit thin because there is soo much in just one of the books that you wouldn't be able to fit it all in. But i guess you already guessed that  :)

I've seen the movie eighteen times so far, and still love it.  Although the book seemed to be a lot better.  Though, I can't wait for the Ents to show up...

Farv M Larion

Finally went to see it last night - a really brilliant film all round.

Looking forward to seeing the next one when it comes out at the end of the year.