Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
LisaMHD

Mt. Ararat Anomoly

86 posts in this topic

I saw a show today on The History Channel called Historys Mysteries, and one of the subjects of topic was The Mt Ararat Anomoly. Some people claim that this is Noah's Ark, some say its ice or a natural rock formation. I found it quite interesting.

Heres an article I found on the web, along with a pic. What do you all think?

CLICK HERE

post-14-1053742789.jpg

I saw the same show lisa, and for the amount of people that have been there searching for a long time now, you'd think they would have found something that is as big as the Ark is supposed to be.And the picture could be just a rock formation, as some of the skeptics said on the show.

If there was any chance that it was the Ark, every tom, dick and harry would have been there like a flash and we haven't heard anything so me thinks there's nothing there but rocks.

I always figured that the story of Noah's Ark was a myth based upon the end of the last Ice Age when water levels rose and all the land-based animals had to scurry to the tops of mountains and hilly areas in order to survive.

The idea of all of the animals (in pairs) being in one boat is utterly preposterous.

wacko.gif

The funny thing however is that not only does the bible mention Noah, but many other religions! There is one link within most of the religions of that age, and all of them mention the great deluge. It seems that each of these religions had their own "noah" and each had some sort of Ark. Therefore this means that all these texts refer to the same accounts but with different intreperters. One example (the only one I remember) comes from the Saga of Gilgamesh, which places the great deluge at the same time as the one mentioned in the Bible. I think the saga of Gilgamesh is sumerian, or Babylonian, and thus it has no major links to the bible. I don't know but there seems to be a lot in favour of this hypothesis, the reason that many people can't go is because it compromises Turkish security, and the government won't allow it. I have various articles I could quote from but I have them at home and not in the UK, I'll be able to retrieve them by July the 14th? If you are willing to bear with me, I'll be much obliging to post it here in this thread. I'll tell you this much, I believe that the anomaly is more than just a rock formation.

As strange as putting wolves and sheeps on the same ship.

But I have to confess that I find something exciting in this kind of research, like the lost ark, the graal or other relics...

I find it terribly exciting too Ronin! Imagine...

Delving down the catacombs retrieving the Holy Grail, or opening the Lost Ark, or finding Noah's Ark! The best one however would be finding the Garden of Eden!!!!!

Hey don't hold it against me I have an Indiana Jones complex!!!!!!!

Awwww damn, I wish I could be Indiana Jones!

Lol Vox I always wantedto be Indiana Jones when I was a kid too .

Only a girly version of course smile.gif

in hinduism, the god vishnu reincarnated himself as a fish, to save the man called manu. because there was to much evil between men, and loads of daemons, the gods flooded the earth. vishnu saved manu because he believed that humans had potential to be good, and manu was one of the kind good men left. dont know about the animals thogh....ill see what i can find

ok, i was told wrong in the previous post.

here is what i have found:

In Hindu myth, the first incarnation of the god Vishnu. When the Deluge came, he saved the mortal Manu Vaivasvata. This mortal found a small fish, which asked his protection. The fish grew rapidly, and Manu recognized it as Vishnu incarnate. At the fish's command, Manu embarked in a ship together with the Rishis and the seeds of all existing things, and the ship, bound to the fish's great horn, was preserved during the Flood. Finally it rested on a peak of the Himalayas. Matsya later destroyed an underwater demon who had stolen the Vedas.

so there was a ship here aswell with seeds of all life.

funny thing happened when i was looking. i went to yahoo and searched vishnu. then i saw the results, i had a feeling of deja-vu, all links i remember seeing on a page.....i hhave never searched for vishnu on any search engine until now..

Lol @ Kismit I always Wanted Indiana Jones another girlie vision. wink.gif

Somewhere recently a navy pilot told of having been sent up over Ararat to take detailed photos of the anomaly, though there are no records of this having been part of the mission of that carrier now.

Also, the CIA, I believe, has some files on Ararat. I don't think these have been released to the public.

Facts which are suggestive that somebody in the government was interested, at least..

As for sending up a team to go looking, you would need to know where to go I suppose. There may be other problems as well. I've seen a movie, from 1977 I think, about the mystery.. but I saw it way back then and I can't remember what it said. There was some reason they couldn't get to the site though.

I have also seen images of a weird looking thing.. from a distance it does look like a huge rectangular thing that has broken in two.

But if it were really there, and we still didn't have proof of it, that would suggest a global conspiracy to keep it quiet. I simply can't see the point of it.

Well I dunno Sidhe, could it be to deny Christianity absolute proof that the bible is correct, and thus keeping it in line with all the other religions in the world...

tun tuh tun tuuuun.... tun tuh tuuuuuuuun, tun tuh tun tun..... tun tuh tun tun TUN, tun tuh tun tuuuun.... tun tuh tuuuuuun, tun tuh tun tun, tun tuh tun tun, tun tuh tun, tuuuuuuuuun tun tuh TUUUUUUUUN! or something to that effect! Indiana Jones RULES!!!!!!

My leather skipping rope has snapped, so I'm using it as a whip, and I'm chasing girls all over my dorm hall whipping the air as I go, it's quite worrying!!!! huh.gif

Ahhh Halo . I allways wanted Hans Solo wink.gif another girlie version laugh.gif

vox, i dont think that it is to deny christianity. as i have alredy said, hindism had a great flod with a giant ship, it is a fact that there are stories of the persians telling the same story as part of their religion ( long before the bible was written on paper). but it may be possible that is the reason, i doubt it though. i would think that if they have found it and released it, it would mean that there could be a real fact in religious beliefs, whereas science tries to dismiss religion as fact. it would also cause more 'holy wars' as most religions that have a flood and ship in their religion would say it is theirs, and they want it back.

sorry if it was too long winded.

Isn't the girlie version of Indiana Jones, Lara Croft? biggrin.gif

Lara Croft's not reall L.B. sheesh not like the hansome Hans Solo or Indy unsure.gif

Good thought...very interesting..

I saw that episode! It was pretty good - but I don't think they have found Noah's Ark! I just feel like it's something that will never be found - or if they find it they will never get to it!

The search for Noah's ark is very much the preserve of fundamentalist Christians; if the Flood did not happen, Noah did not exist and then the bible is not inerrant.

The countless 'Flood myths' were probably a response to quite extensive local flooding that, while not covering the world and everything in it, at least covered what the victims considered the world.

The next problem is that Ararat is an ancient name for Armenia, and then later a small area of Armenia. The mountain Ararat in Turkey wasn't called as such until the eleventh century. Also, there are plenty of other sources which locate the ark in Iran, Armenia, Greece and a whole load in various places in Turkey.

Basically, claims that the ark is on Ararat are crippled by historical inaccuracies from the start.

And then, if the ark HAD, by some miracle ( grin2.gif ) ended up on mount Ararat in north eastern Turkey, it would have been shifted centuries ago by glacial movement, and certainly at least part of it would have broken up.

As far as I remember, Ararat is not a particularly high mountain, and any pieces of the ark scattered about the lower slopes would be easily reached by anybody wanting to go and have a look.

And then, of course, a single ship, 300 cubits long to carry two of every animal species? It would necessarily have been a flotilla of ships, if not a veritable armada. Which ship is supposed to be on Ararat? Where are the others? Perhaps there's an ark at the top of every mountain postulated by ancient sources as the resting place of the one true ark!

From what I understand of the stories relating to Noah et al. is that these stories only come from areas around the middle east and that other cultures existing at the time have no such myths. In relation to this, there is some geological evidence that a large flood did take place in that area, but it in no way covered the whole earth. Chances are, that idea was religious hyperbole to instill the fear of God et al. into others.

Aslan makes a good point about the size of the ship and it not being able to accomodate all of the animals. To add to this, conider that some animals are found only in certian continents (or regions that are even smaller). How did something like the ring tailed lemur, which lives on an isloated island (Madagascar) manage to march all the way to the Middle East? Or how did the Panda, which eats only bamboo, manage its way to the ark without a foodsource along the way? More importantly, how did Noah manage to get them all back to the right place to not disrupt the fossil record?

Fish are more or less understood to have taken care of their own, but all that rain would have mixed the oceans with the lakes and very few species could have handled this. Again, how did it happen that none of these animals happened to die in the 100 some odd days before the waters went back to normal levels without leaving fossil remains all over the place?

Peraps you can say that God et al. managed these feats by guiding the animals and making sure none of the fishes died and transporting all of the animals back to where they came from. If he had all that power, why bother with the 40 days of rain crap? God shows tendancy towards getting a little lazy at the end of the week and he was probably not up for the 100 days of intense micromanagement to accomplish this task. It would have been far easier on everyone if he just struck dead all of the bad people through some less difficult task.

I watched breifly a documentary last night on Discovery something that said the flood myth was started from a giant flood that occured around the sea of death as it was known in ancient times. Caused by the melting of the ice caps.

There are myths of the flood in the traditions of many widely separated peoples:

the most widely known, though not the oldest is that of Noah, contained in Genesis Chapters 6-9.

There is a Mesopotamian legend, from which the one in Genesis is derived, though it is far older than the Genesis one. There are several known versions of this account and one of them was incorporated by a Babylonian named Berosus, and is written in Greek in the 3rd Century BC. It says that Cronus appeared to Xisuthros, 10th king of Babylon, in a dream and warned him about great flood that would destroy mankind. He was told that he would be saved only if he did 2 things first, one was to write a history of the world and bury it a sippura, then he had to build a ship 5 furongs in length, 2 in width, onto which he took his family, friends, birds and only 4 footed creatures. When it came to rest he sent out birds and when one did not come back he went off the ship with his family and buit an alter, and was raised to the heavens, his friends stayed on the ship during this time. They became worried for him and went looking for him and his voice told them not to worry and to go from Armenia, where they had landed and go to Babylon and dig up the history.

There is an earlier account than this, and it forms part of the Epic of Gilgamesh. Gilgamesh was not involved in the flood but heard about it from his immortal ancestor Utnapishtim. A difference with this story though is that Utnapishtim created a barge and put on it a house with 6 storeys. After the flood the gods repented and said that mankind shal only ever again be killed y the animals or by plague, and never agaian by flood.

The oldest known account of this story is that inscribed on a clay tablet found during excavations at Nippur, and was written in about 2100BC, in the language of the Sumerians. The hero in this version is called Ziusudra, and was a king and a priest of Enki. He built a ship after being warned. but then the tablet is broken and we do not know about what happens directly afterwards, such as how big it was, then afterwards after 7 days and nights had passed the rain stopped andEnki was appeased after a offereing was sent.

Ziusudra was given immortality and the title preserver of the seed of mankind. The deluge is mentioned in the Sumerian kings list, after a few kings names it states 'Then came the flood. After the flood, kingship again descended from heaven.' Archaeologists have proved that there had been a flood back then.Sir Leonard Woolley, in 1929, found evidence of a vast inundation, greater in extent than anything subsequently known in the region, that had occured about 3000BC. It had been big enough to cover practically the whole of lower mesopotamia and drown most of its inhabitants. It is easy to see how after this a myth came up about the destructin of mankind.

While the flood myth is widespread, it does not occur everywhere. They are found in India, Burma and elsewhere in southern Aisa, in Australia and New Zealand, New Guinea and the islands of the Pacific, in North and South America. Mexico and some regions of Europe. All of the follow the same general pattern.

India has several versions, of which the earliest known is preserevd in the Satapatha Brahmana. In this is is stated that the hero, Manu, was warned and then helped by a fish. He alone survived the flood. When it was over the world was empty, but because he desired children, he offered sacrifices of soured milk, curds and whey. Out of these a woman was miraculously created. and the race of manu was created.

In the early form of Greek flood legend, as told by Pindar in the 5th Century BC. every living creature was destroyed, with the ezception of Deucalion and his wife Pyrrha. These 2 wheathered the storm in an ARk which Deucalion had created., and which came to rest on Mount Parnassus. They recreated manking again, by throwing rocks over their heads, each one that landed became either man or woman, but it does not say how the animals where saved, but according to a later version it says that Deucalion took all the animals 2 by 2 into the ark with him and by the power of the Gods they did not harm one another.

There was also a Greek tradition that Deucalions flood was not the only one. There had been two others, one in the time of Ogyge, king of thebes. and one after it, when Dradanus wass drivemn from his home by a sudden and terrible, but apperently, not a worldwide flood. he escaped upon a raft, or in some versions an inflated skin, and drifted to mount Ida, he landed there and in due course became the founder of the city of Troy.

Sir j. G. Frazer has pointed out that the myth of Africa and western Asia there are no worldwide flood legends, the same can be said of western Europe. But, there are stories of local or partial floods, not caused by rian, but by the vilent encroachment of the sea, or land subsidence. In the form we know of them today, they come from medieval times, but they probably came from stories from much earlier times, and may well have a foundation in fact.

One of these, is the story of the Lowland Hundred, a Welsh legend. This was atract of land lying westward of the present west coast of Wales, submerged now under Cardigan Bay. According to the stroy it was fertile and prosperous territory, 40 miles by 20 miles, which went from Bardsey Island to the River Teifi. It was protected from the sea by a system of sluices, and had 16 noble cities. the cheif of which was called Caer Gwyddno. The site of this town was supposed to be marked by a numvber of underwater boulders at Sarn Cynfelin, they are natural formations, but in popular belief they were manmade causeways, or defensive battlements.

Another Welsh story, that is most likely a varient is that of Tyno Helig, it was a little kingdom that extended from Caernavonshire coast and is now sunk in Conway Bay. This catastrophe was supposed to have been prophesied for 4 generations before it happened.

Further south, in Cornwall, there is the tradition of Lost Lyonnesse, it is better known than others because of King Arthur and Tristan, in Cornish it was called Lethowstow, and lay between Lands End and the Scilly Islles.

In western Brittany, there is the elaborate version of this legend, in the form of the city of Ker-Is., its site is given as in the Bay of Douarnenez, it was protected by a strong dyke and sluice gates, but to no avail, it was supposed to have vanished in about the 6th Century.

Like all the sinking land stories, all of them were prosperous and fertile, and all of them aoart from Lyonnesse happened suddenly because of thw wickedness of its inhabitants.

Lyonnesse sunk over a time, and the inhabitants moved away. There are supposed to be traces of the 140 churches and other buildings at Lyonnesse, that you can go and see.

ooh, al, alot of stuff there. i think i saw that program too. i think it was the one where they said that the genesis flood was a story told by the bablonians.

as regard to the manu story, animals survived because the fish (reincranation of vishnu) had taken the life seed and energy from every species of animal and plant in order to recreate them after the flood

Well as I know and as I have always heard ... that Noah's arch is in Iraq ... My parents have seen it before the invation of Iraq on Kuwait ... wink.gif

And people can still see it as I THINK ... unsure.gif

I don't know what happend to it now after the war ...

I found this web site ... it might help ... original.gif

http://answering-islam.org/Hoaxes/noah2.html

Just to clear it up, only the first paragraph that I put was what the show was about, the rest is what I have put out of my head.