Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Calif. Gov.: U.S. Should 'Close Borders'

__Kratos__

SAN FRANCISCO - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Tuesday the nation's policy on preventing illegal immigration is too lax, telling a group of newspaper publishers the United States needs to "close the borders."

"Close the borders in California and all across Mexico and in the United States," Schwarzenegger said at the annual meeting of the Newspaper Association of America. "Because I think it is just unfair to have all those people coming across, have the borders open the way it is, and have this kind of lax situation."

Schwarzenegger's remarks were later clarified by his spokeswoman, who said the governor supports greater security along the nation's borders but was not calling for their complete closure.

"The governor has talked before about the need to ensure that immigrants are put on a path toward fully participating in California's economy," spokeswoman Margita Thompson said. "But he feels they need to enter the country the right way, and must not undermine important security issues. He feels that the border needs to be secure."

During his speech, Schwarzenegger also suggested exploring several policy proposals aimed at addressing illegal immigration, including President Bush's proposed guest worker program and federal legislation to pave the way for undocumented workers in the United States to attain legal status.

"This is a very important debate. I think it's necessary that we solve the problems rather than try to run the other way. It's a hot issue," he said.

It's not the first time Schwarzenegger, who emigrated from Austria as a young man, has become entangled in the emotional debate surrounding illegal immigration.

Schwarzenegger has been repeatedly grilled on why he voted for a 1994 ballot measure to deny many basic services to illegal immigrants. Shortly after entering office, he derailed a law that would have allowed illegal immigrants to apply for drivers licenses.

In February, Schwarzenegger endorsed congressional legislation authorizing the construction of a fence along California's border with Mexico.

Source

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really hope he will get our borders secure. yes.gif

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ForRizzle

• wunarmdscissor

• Babs

• warden

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope he will get our borders secure.

It looks to me like this is more of an economic issue than a security matter.

It's really both economic and the weakest link in our national security. When Arnold said close the border he was referring to illegal immigration and not regular legal commerce and tourism crossing through permitted channels. But hell yes. We need to sow up the gaping holes. So glad this is finally getting real attention. Calif budget deficit is roughly 10 billion per year. The cost of illegals for heathcare, schools, jails, etc is $10 billion per year in CA as well. It does not take a genius to figure out CA taxpayers are paying the correct amount of tax for the services of legal citizens. Our deficit is the direct result of paying for the illegals. Arnold is a realist and does not feel raising taxes to pay for the illegals is fair.

In my opinion, it is a major economic issue and not a racist or terrorism related issue. My pocketbook feels it every day. sad.gif

He makes a valid point. I people wish to come to the US they need to go through the proper channels and do it legally. You know, wait in line like everyone else that wants to get in. I don't know about a fence laugh.gif but it can't hurt to beef up the border security a bit.

Go Arnie!

The Associated Press

Updated: 8:41 a.m. ET April 21, 2005

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Blaming his faulty English, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Wednesday said he misspoke when he suggested that California’s border with Mexico should be closed to help solve the nation’s illegal immigration problem.

Hehe politicians you just have to love em thumbsup.gif

Go Arnie!

582653[/snapback]

If an Austrian is saying that some thing must be wrong

582670[/snapback]

Exactly. cool.gif

america , the land of the free , where everyone is equal , a beacon of freedom to the world.

you cant even see the irony in your flag

There is no irony in the freedoms for US citizens and legal immigrants. But it's not very free for law breaking criminals who steal money from our sysytem.

Not closing the borders of course not. Nobody here wants to stop commerce and legitimate travel back and forth through normal border crossing points for mexicans, americans, and others with legitimate documentation to be here for whatever reason. WHAT WE WANT IS BORDER SECURITY to prevent illegal access to the country from illegal immigrants who want to come here a use our education and health care services while not paying into the system. It is costing Billions and bankrupting the SouthWest States (AZ, NM, TX, CA). Additionally, with the huge bullseye looming over our country from Al Qiada and others we dont feel comfortable that Osama himself can waltz accross the border naked on a camel with a suitcase nuke strapped to his back. We would like a little more security than that. Also, we would like to end the everflowing river or drugs and guns that flow over the unsecured border with both Mexico and Canada.. So its not closing the border, its securing the border and permitting legal documented traffic to cross. Geez - why is this concept so hard for people to understand. Millions apply to become US citizens each year from countries all over the world. The go through proper immigration channels and move here. They get jobs, pay taxes like me, and its all good. Welcome! But illegally crossing, showing up at a hospital in Arizona or CA having youre baby at my expense and educating him at my expense is not fair, nor legal, and needs to stop.

Thank you sir. I think this is the same thing most citizens in all countries want. We are just being taken advantage of. It probablly wouldnt be a problem, but its millions of illegals per year definately having a huge economic impact. Hospitals are actually closing here in CA because they have eaten the costs of illegals heathcare and are not being reibursed for the expense. Coupled with the drug and gun running and national security aspects its getting to be a real problem.

ok more security is perfectly ok

the article is about CLOSING the borders

not just tightening up

I hear you on that. The govenor mis-spoke and has since clarified his position publically saying he meant say "secure" instead of "close". Arnold himself is an immigrant to the US and is in favor of legal immigration through proper channels.. As we all are.

republicans are always being"mis-quoted" or making "mistakes" lol

what am saying is its a sad day when we have to close our borders , theyve won when that day comes

But there is difference between securing and closing. We want economic and physical protection through securing not closing entirely. If you leave it wide open you have niether and the costs are monumental.

america , the land of the free , where everyone is equal , a beacon of freedom to the world.

you cant even see the irony in your flag

583002[/snapback]

laugh.giflaugh.gif That was pre-911.

You always talk like 911 didn't happen. We'll, heck, I guess it didn't for you.

(Tightening up the borders is the program).

You always talk like 911 didn't happen. We'll, heck, I guess it didn't for you.

(Tightening up the borders is the program).

583711[/snapback]

Listen BABS it is going to hapen in Britian sooner than later ,only a mug would think different,i am only glad it will be in England than in Scotland(if it has to be anywhere at all),

Our borders have been a sham for years and only when an election is on the horizion BLAIR is trying to be the big man and going to do some thing about it ,funny at the same time last knight when asked by news knight Blair was asked `how many illegal imigrants were in Britian since he had came to power and for the 14th time after being asked Blair didnt have a clue,and he asked the public to vote for him in the next .........give me a break,,,,,,,,,,,,will he take the blame if britian is attacked by one of these people ....no danger

He will do what he always does and blame it on the torries or a close friend who will run away and hang their selfs

Come to britian its a free for all thumbsup.gif