Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Morbach Monster

Moonlight

Anonymous

Have you ever heard of the Morbach Monster?

I first learned of the legend while I was stationed at Hahn Airforce Base, Germany. Morbach was a munitions site just outside of the villiage of Wittlich.

Supposedly Wittlich is the last town where a werewolf was killed. There is a shrine just outside of town where a candle always burns. Legend has it that if the candle ever goes out the werewolf will return.

One night a group of security policemen were on the way to their post at Morbach, when they noticed that the candle was out at the shrine, and all joked about the monster.

Later that night alarms were received from a fence-line sensor. When the security policemen investigated the call one of them saw a huge "dog-like" animal stand up on its back legs, look at him, and jump over the 7 1/2 foot chain-link fence. A military working dog was brought to the area where the creature was last seen, and the dog went nuts, not wanting anything to do with tracking the creature.

This occured around 1988.

If you guys heard any such stories or maybe had an encounter yourselves please post happy.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I was stationed at Hahn Ab. In 1992. The tale of Morbach is true to the villagers. The munitions site is actually where the village used to stand according to the legend they moved the town since they could not get rid of the werewolf menace. Also the candle was to keep the werewolf from coming to the new village.

I honestly think there is a big animal in that wooded area I have responded to many and I mean many calls by the munition workers about a large animal roaming the area. This has occurred both day and night. The only large animal that inhabits that area is a wild boar. Morbach is heavily wooded. The woods are so thick some parts are not passable even on foot and the munition site is 15 square miles. I have seen on three occasions that our fence was torn from the ground level coming into the site which is home to a ton of deer so I think this animal feeds on deer due to the fact I have seen many dead deer in that area. Well that is my two cents on Morbach. I do not think it is a werewolf but a big cat.

Another interesting fact about that part of German Frakenstiens castle is about five miles from the site.

Edited by venom012

I like the big cat theory..If there's plenty roaming Britian surely the rest of Europe must have one or two, right?

On the other hand you mention being near frankensteins' Castle. Wasn't the original Baron von Frankenstein said to have been killed in battle with a dragon?

Hehehe..

** This turned up on a Mamma search

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Morbach Monster

Was it man or beast? Can the US Air Force be mistaken? The town of Wittlich is said to be the last place in Germany where a werewolf has been killed.

By Mike Burleson, 11/24/2002

The Legend

The town of Wittlich is said to be the last place in Germany where a werewolf has been killed.

Thomas Johannes Baptist Schwytzer, a deserter from Napoleon’s Army and a veteran of the disaster at Moscow, is fleeing to his homeland in Alsace. With him are a group of Russians, also deserters. While passing by the village of Wittlich, the hungry soldiers spy a farmhouse and decide to take what they want. In the midst of their scavenging they are discovered by the farmer, whom they promptly murder along with his sons.

The farmer's wife, seeing this foul deed lets out a wail and curses Schwitzer.

"From now on at each full moon you will change into a rabid wolf!" she screams in her anguish.

Schwytzer relieves her suffering by crushing her skull.

But the curse works. Gradually a change comes over Schwytzer. He becomes harder, without inhibitions. He robs, rapes, and murders at his pleasure. He soon departs from his fellows who have had enough, and takes up with bandits, and highwaymen. Even these ruffians are appalled at Schwitzer's excesses, so the ex-soldier flees to the sanctuary of the deep forests.

There the tales of a wolf that walks like a man will spread throughout the countryside. At night men and cattle are brutally slaughtered by the beast.

One night Schwytzer spies the beautiful daughter of a local farmer. Her name is Elizabeth Beierle, and in his carnal lust he rapes her.

Days later, while by his campfire in the woods, Schwytzer is discovered by a group of villagers who take him for the werewolf. They give chase and corner the fugitive near the village of Morbach. Promptly dispatching Schwytzer, the villagers bury him at a crossing. There a shrine is erected where a candle will burn continually. As long as the candle is lit, so the legend goes, the werewolf will not return.

Nine months later, a son is born to Elizabeth Beierles, whom she names Martin. To this day the descendants of this b****** child are a respected family in the vicinity of Morbach, and show no sign of the curse of their infamous ancestor, Thomas Johannes Baptist Schwytzer.

That is until 1988.

Morbach US Air Force ammunition depot

One evening a group of air force personnel are returning to their base at Morbach. Passing the old shrine they notice the candle is out. They begin to laugh and joke about this, for all have heard of the legend of the werewolf.

Later, at the base, automatic sirens peal into the night. Someone or something has activated the perimeter fence sensors. While investigating, a security guard spies a large creature, like a wolf, standing on its hind legs. It gazes at the soldier for a moment and then flees, clearing a 3 meter fence with ease.

A police dog is brought to track the beast, but upon arriving at the spot where the werewolf was seen, the canine trembles and howls, refusing to go further.

What was it? Some story made up to frighten new recruits? Or was it really a descendant of Schwitzer transformed into a wolf? You decide!

Regardless of the questions, the candle at the shrine is relit, and the creature has been seen no more.

i have heard of the morbach monster, along with peeter stumpf. i have done a lot of research on werewolves and so called werewolf sitings. the thing about the sitings are is that the sitings happend either along time ago and by people who didnt see the whole animal. but the thing with peeter stumpf was that he was a real man who was convicted they actually killed him for thinking he was a werewolf. they broke his bones they decapitated him and put his head on a pike for a warning to other "werewolves" then pulled his flesh of with burning pinchers and to top it off they put the remnents of him atop a wheel.

happy.gif just thought i would add something to this.

Lets not forget tho, that in many parts of Europe, time really has'nt advance much. There are still people who live in superstitious fear of things that to us Westerners would seem a little odd, but that does'nt make them any less real to them. If maybe it was a big cat, or a particularly large wolf (which do still roam freely in many parts of central Europe), then a frightened person could easily mistake it for something else. It's amazing what you can 'see' in a terrifying situation.

*points over to the far left* werewolf!!

jk its just my neighbor. therianthropes are interesting people to talk to, or at least people tell me i'm interesting to chat with, what do they know silly germans. they do have good beer i'll give em that.

• 1 month later...

I was stationed at Hahn from 1988 to 1991, and I worked at the Morbach depot a lot from 88-90. It is a very large area, and at the time it had only perimeter lighting and lights on some buildings near the front gate. It was true that there were several areas, mostly on the east side, that were heavily wooded, but for the most part the area was a tangle of open roads and steep, grass-covered burms.

We joked about the Morbach Monster, but usually only to scare the new guys. I worked with several people who had been there since before the 1988 incident cited above, and none of them ever mentioned it to me. The only stories I had heard were about one of the wild boars that the local forrestmeister kept in the area getting loose and chasing someone up a light pole. Not freaked out dogs, no fence jumping.

If you have never seen a german wild boar, they look like a 4 foot tall brazil nut with tusks and legs. They are dark brown and stinky and hairy and big and could easily be mistaken as some sort of supernatural beast.

Not to be a wet blanket, but I don't believe the story about the 88 sighting at all. It would be just too hard to keep quiet, and there would be plenty of people who would be just too scared to ever work there again. That place can be creepy enough at night as it is.

BTW, here are some links for the curious:

Lost Places

Energy Park - This is what Morbach is now. The photo is from the south-west looking across the area.

Another view

One night I came home from work to find my 15 and 16 year old kids sitting on the front steps of our home. It was only 10:o'clock PM, and a storm had passed through shutting off the electricity in the area. I asked why they were out side and was told a Large Animal was in the house, banging all the doors.

After looking around I found some one had left the outside door to the garage open, and the wind was moving it, making a load noise.

My point is we live at the edge of town(3000 people) and yet when the lights went out, and the winds blew, my near adult children reverted to Their primal fears, of ghosts and animals, and other thing that go bump in the night.

We sit in our well lighted rooms surrounded by cars, telephones, computers and lots of people. But deep down we are still the cowering cave man looking for answers to the sounds of the night. How advanced are we really!

• 2 weeks later...

I was an Security Policeman ( SP ) at Hahn from 86 - 90 and spent a lot of time at Morbach. I heard all of the werewolf stories too, but never seen anything that would indicate to me that a werewolf actually was there. I walked that area all the time at night, and sometimes by myself. It was always fun to scare the new guys with stories of the werewolf, and then make them do a security check of the perimeter on foot ( the perimeter road was only accessible by foot). One of our K-9,s was this big black bovier with bloodshot eyes. We would always send that dog handeler to the backside of the area to meet the new guys with that dog. there was also reports of a German WW-2 soldier that roamed the area.

Really weird. (Wow there's a lot of military on this site. tongue.gif)

could this be a type of bigfoot? i just do not believe in werewolfs w00t.gif

WOW.. 7 1/2 Feet Fence! Crazy.. huh.gif

I don't particularly believe in werewolves as being people who change into wolves every once in a while. But the term werewolf is used to point out an extremely big type of wolf with a very short tail. Many reports of this type of creature have come out of many parts of the world. A very striking story is that of the Welsh werewolf (Welsh werewolf story).

Scientists acknowledge the existence of werewolves but are uncertain if it's the result of crossbreeding with dogs of it's just a mutant wolf.

They appear to be more aggressive, stronger, smarter and more agile. All the things needed to create a werewolf myth.

I read somewhere above that in many parts of Europe time hasn't advanced much. Never been here have you? That may be true for remote parts of Russia and a few little villages in the mountains between France and Spain, but certainly not Germany. And the sighthings in 1988 were made by security personnel from a military base. So one might assume that they can keep cool and don't resort to superstition while doing their job.

I read about the 'Morbach Monster' a few years ago and read anything I could get on it and I personally think that it is a felid. We have had sightings of a puma here for a few weeks, and nobody was missing a puma in their collection. So large cats can roam around here.

I think it might be a very big Lynx. lynxes are native to the area and being a felid are very well able to jump many times their own hight with hardly any effort (just take a look at the things your household-cat jumps on). They can also hide easily in the dense woods in the area.

I believe in ghost's, but I do not believe in werewolves either. Thats why I had the courage to walk around the area at night by myself. It was very dark out there at night. Yes, there were wild boars out there that stayed confined to a big pen , but they were so used to seeing people and being fed by people that they really were not a danger to us unless they had babies. Then they could be aggressive. There are some inaccuracies in the original story posted. There was no alarm system of any kind on the fence line. Only a few structures that housed munitions had alarms. Otherwise, morbach had hundreds of 500 pound projectiles for bombs just laying around. anyone who could get into the area and walk away with one of those was supernatural and we were not going to mess with them. Also the town at the bottom of the hill was called Wenegerath, not Wittlich. Wittlich was on the other side of the Mosel river near Spangdhalem, and Bitburg air bases. The part about the shrine though is true. There are candles lit on the night of a full moon. We always used to stop near the shrine on the way to and from the area, and blow the candles out just to get chased by the old german lady who kept them lit.

Wow, Thanks for posting the pictures CYKA. I don't believe in werewolves either but I do believe in ghost's. Thats how I had the courage to walk that area at night by myself. No, I did not have silver bullets in my gun. It was very dark out there at night. There are inaccuracies in the original story about the morbach monster. There was no alarm system on the fencline at Morbach. Only a few structures that housed certain munitions had alarms on them. Other than that, Morbach had hundreds of 500 pound projectiles just sitting out there in the open. There were wild boars in the area but they stayed confined to a pen and were really no danger to us because they were so used to seeing people, they were almost tame unless they had babies. Then they could be aggressive. also the name of the town was Wenegerath, not Wittlich. Wittlich was on the other side of the Mosel river near Spangdhalem, and Bitburg air bases. The part of the story about the shrine is true. Yes, It was always lit on the night of a full moon. We used to stop on the way to and from the area and blow out the candles just to get chased by the old german lady who kept them lit.

I love werewolf stories... Even if they are not real, still I can't get bored of them! grin2.gif Some time ago someone on this forum described his own ww sighting. It happened in a forrest where there were some works going on. He and his co-worker was walking from one of big fires to another while the moon hid behind clouds... They heard something moving in a distance in front of them... Just find it in a werewolf topic posted somewhere on this forum, it's a really creepy story! unsure.gif Also, someone else posted a topic where he described the case of his brother living with his wife in a trailer- every night a, especially when the moon was full, a big wolf-like beast came and scratched on the trailer, leaving big claw marks... Try to find that one as well...I'll go looking for it and will post the links.

• 6 years later...

Are you guys ready for me? I was the Secuity Police Area Supervisor when all this went down. My call sign was Alpha One. Although we called it Morbach it was actually The Village of Wenigerath. It was the Wenigerath Weapons Storage Area. I've read what you guys have said...all hear say. I was there, I can tell you what happened that night. My hands tremble still now as I type this. My breath is short. I can still hear the howl. I can still smell the trees. I can still see it. I can still remember some of the names of my guys that were with me. It was only us, no other unit was there. I know the dogs name and the handlers too. Want to test me, go ahead. I'm fool proof. If you guys want to read more reply, I'll check for your approval. I'll post on here only if you want to hear it from the horses mouth.

If you were there then you know who I am. It would be great to hear from you all again.

Alpha One

Are you guys ready for me? I was the Secuity Police Area Supervisor when all this went down. My call sign was Alpha One. Although we called it Morbach it was actually The Village of Wenigerath. It was the Wenigerath Weapons Storage Area. I've read what you guys have said...all hear say. I was there, I can tell you what happened that night. My hands tremble still now as I type this. My breath is short. I can still hear the howl. I can still smell the trees. I can still see it. I can still remember some of the names of my guys that were with me. It was only us, no other unit was there. I know the dogs name and the handlers too. Want to test me, go ahead. I'm fool proof. If you guys want to read more reply, I'll check for your approval. I'll post on here only if you want to hear it from the horses mouth.

If you were there then you know who I am. It would be great to hear from you all again.

Alpha One

Thanks for posting. Did you happen to procure Any evidence on the night you are relating to?

Unfortunately it was 1988 (no cell phones with cams yet). Photography was prohibited on site and we did not have security cameras.

When we first came on duty my patrols would do a sweep of their assigned sectors. As I was in the Security Trailer reading the previous shifts logs one of my foot patrols found 3 dead deer within one of the wooded areas and radioed us. When I arrived on scene I noticed that their throats were damaged and 2 had their entrails and hind quarters eaten along with what appeared to be their internal organs (Liver, heart). We did have wild bore in and out of the area and these were a small fast barking deer species. We placed a call to the local Forest Meister so he could remove the deer carcases.

I went back to the Security Control Trailer to phone the base on the incident. After that I radioed all patrols for an area briefing at Control. As the patrols rolled in we heard a low level but loud growl/howl coming from the direction of our only alarmed structures. I radioed the foot patrol assigned to that area since they were still enroute. As I did, they came running out of the darkness yelling "Did you guys hear that?!" About that time it howled again. Low, deep, long and loud. It sounded like it was within our fence line. I called the entry control point to see if they had permitted any K-9 patrols in the area. They said no and also reported the howling. One of the guys said "What if it's the Werewolf? We all kinda giggled but then it howled again. This time from the center of the site.

I called the base and updated them that we had a breach of some kind of animal. Sounded like a large dog or possible a wild animal. They stated that the Forest Meister had called and was on his way. I asked the patrols if they wanted me to turn on the area lighting. They said no. The area lighting usually made matters worse since they casts too many shadows and ruined your night vision. I issued Night Vision Scopes to the patrol leaders. They mounted on our M-16's. I informed them that they did not have permission to "Lock and Load". Since it was peacetime (Cold War) we carried our weapons with a loaded magazine, weapon on safe and no round in the chamber. When it was about to get noisy, lock and load meant to charge your weapon (jack a round in the chamber) and get ready to Rock and Roll Baby!

I took one of the foot patrols with me (strength in numbers) and headed to the perimeter in case it tried to circle my guys. I went by the fallen deer to show the patrol. When we got there I noticed that the third deer had also been snacked on. I immediately called all the patrols. It had come back and fed on the third deer. About that time one of the mounted patrols (vehicle), had made contact and was pursuing a large K-9. We ran in a circular route as to try to out flank whatever it was they were chasing. The Entry gate radioed me saying that our K-9 patrol had arrived. I had them dispatch to the western fence line since that's where we were all going. The pursuing patrol radioed that it was turning towards the Command Trailer. Here's a funny part. Alpha Control radioed that he was locking down and wasn't opening the door 'til daylight.

I took the foot patrol and headed to the fence line since we had 2 patrols going to Control. The K-9 patrol was already there and I dispatched him to the alarmed structures to stand by. I did this since they were between Control and the perimeter fence. When we got to the fence I put one of the guys near the fence line and I with the patrol leader headed to a small hill to over-watch his position. I asked for status reports because I could hear a lot of yelling. They said it was coming toward us. I radioed Control to turn on our sectors lighting. Our area was mostly open with trees on the right side. We switched off our scopes and in that instant that we reached to turn off the units our guy on the fence started screaming. We turned in time to see a huge dark mass clear our 9 foot fence! It quickly faded from our perimeter lighting into the darkness. I asked for the area lighting to be turned off. I walked further up to the hill and switched on my night scope. I looked in the direction it had ran. Since the magnification was weak I really didn't expect to see anything then I saw it. It was leaned up against a tree looking at us on it's hind legs. I yelled 2 o'clock 200 meters! Then it turned and faded into the trees. Only one other patrol leader saw it.

It was now 2:30 am. The Forest Meister arrived at the entry gate. I had to sign him in. I asked the K-9 unit to foot patrol the fence but the dog had retreated to his kennel and would not come out. I put all units back on active patrol and to remain extra vigilant. As I escorted the Forest Meister to the dead deer I explained what had happened. He listened carefully and seemed to be absorbing it all in. He took pictures of the deer for records then bagged the bodies. He said that it didn't appear to be the work of Wild Boer. It had all the markings of a wolf attack. He said wolves usually didn't kill their prey, they usually died from shock and blood loss. They would knock it down and start eating the hind quarters with the animal still alive. This one killed them then ate them as evidenced by the neck injuries. I asked if they could jump 9 foot fence. He said this one could and laughed.

The guys were jazzed to say the least. We had a group meeting around 4:00am. I said that I needed written reports by the shifts end at 6:30 so to take turns patrolling. Alpha 2 (Command Trailer) opened his door even though it was still dark out. I remember sitting there sipping some coffee saying "Are they going to believe this?" He said we were all going to "p*** in the bottle". That meant a Urine Analysis to see if we were on drugs. We laughed about it.

When we got back to the Armory I was pulled aside by my Flight Chief and Shift Commander. I briefed them on what had happened. My Flight Chief asked me to take home the statements and proof read them first then to turn them in before Guardmount.

When I arrived I noticed that the roster had been amended. We were all going back to Morbach. It was very rare to have the same patrol twice let alone the entire area. On the bus ride out there we were pretty much quiet. I stopped the bus at the alter to make sure the candles were lit and the old guy awake. Thumbs up! The Flight Chief showed up around mid-night and we had a pow wow. He said we had two choices. We could turn in the statements but omit the "werewolf" references or shred the statements and have me write in the log book that a wild animal had killed some deer in the wooded area behind the ammo building and that the Forest Meister had been dispatched...end of story. As we all looked at each other he stated that our PRP would be called into question. PRP is a program that enables us to work around Nuclear Resources. To lose your PRP cast a dark cloud over you plus you got crap details while you were being re-evaluated. Took up to 45 days. So we opted for the later.

Some of us choose not to talk about it but obviously some did. It really happened. It wasn't some story to scare the jeeps. Jeeps are FNG's, rookies, etc. Was it a Werewolf? Was it an endangered European Wolf? Was it a coincidence that the candle was out that night of a full moon? You decide. As for me...I'll say this. The above statement is true to the best of my knowledge.

SSgt. D*******

C-Flight, 50th SPS

USAF Veteran

Edited by Sierra Seven

** This turned up on a Mamma search

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Morbach Monster

Was it man or beast? Can the US Air Force be mistaken? The town of Wittlich is said to be the last place in Germany where a werewolf has been killed.

By Mike Burleson, 11/24/2002

The Legend

The town of Wittlich is said to be the last place in Germany where a werewolf has been killed.

Thomas Johannes Baptist Schwytzer, a deserter from Napoleon’s Army and a veteran of the disaster at Moscow, is fleeing to his homeland in Alsace. With him are a group of Russians, also deserters. While passing by the village of Wittlich, the hungry soldiers spy a farmhouse and decide to take what they want. In the midst of their scavenging they are discovered by the farmer, whom they promptly murder along with his sons.

The farmer's wife, seeing this foul deed lets out a wail and curses Schwitzer.

"From now on at each full moon you will change into a rabid wolf!" she screams in her anguish.

Schwytzer relieves her suffering by crushing her skull.

But the curse works. Gradually a change comes over Schwytzer. He becomes harder, without inhibitions. He robs, rapes, and murders at his pleasure. He soon departs from his fellows who have had enough, and takes up with bandits, and highwaymen. Even these ruffians are appalled at Schwitzer's excesses, so the ex-soldier flees to the sanctuary of the deep forests.

There the tales of a wolf that walks like a man will spread throughout the countryside. At night men and cattle are brutally slaughtered by the beast.

One night Schwytzer spies the beautiful daughter of a local farmer. Her name is Elizabeth Beierle, and in his carnal lust he rapes her.

Days later, while by his campfire in the woods, Schwytzer is discovered by a group of villagers who take him for the werewolf. They give chase and corner the fugitive near the village of Morbach. Promptly dispatching Schwytzer, the villagers bury him at a crossing. There a shrine is erected where a candle will burn continually. As long as the candle is lit, so the legend goes, the werewolf will not return.

Nine months later, a son is born to Elizabeth Beierles, whom she names Martin. To this day the descendants of this b****** child are a respected family in the vicinity of Morbach, and show no sign of the curse of their infamous ancestor, Thomas Johannes Baptist Schwytzer.

That is until 1988.

Morbach US Air Force ammunition depot

One evening a group of air force personnel are returning to their base at Morbach. Passing the old shrine they notice the candle is out. They begin to laugh and joke about this, for all have heard of the legend of the werewolf.

Later, at the base, automatic sirens peal into the night. Someone or something has activated the perimeter fence sensors. While investigating, a security guard spies a large creature, like a wolf, standing on its hind legs. It gazes at the soldier for a moment and then flees, clearing a 3 meter fence with ease.

A police dog is brought to track the beast, but upon arriving at the spot where the werewolf was seen, the canine trembles and howls, refusing to go further.

What was it? Some story made up to frighten new recruits? Or was it really a descendant of Schwitzer transformed into a wolf? You decide!

Regardless of the questions, the candle at the shrine is relit, and the creature has been seen no more.

Wow! I mean like WOW! I take offense to us being referred to as "security guards" and "soldiers". Sounds exciting but that's not what happened. Read my version, it's what really happened. I should know, I was there.