Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fierce ants build 'torture rack'

UM-Bot

news icon rA fierce species of Amazonian ant has been seen building elaborate traps on which hapless prey are stretched like medieval torture victims, before being slowly hacked to pieces. With cunning and patience, Allomerus decemarticulatus worker-ants cut hairs from the stem of the plant they inhabit, and use the tiny fibres to build a spongy snare, Nature magazine reports.

This ingenious feat of engineering has only ever been observed in one other species of related ant, French researchers say.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Walken

• ROGER

• Zackery00

• mrmonsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its true!!! ohmy.gif The ants are going to take over the world!

bounce.gif If ants were smart enough to figure it out, and a little larger perhaps, they would infact take over the world. They only outnumber us by like 99,000,000,000,000 to 1. Tough odds if you are the human species. bounce.gif

Anybody that has ever stepped in a fire ant mound know they don't have to be any bigger to take over the world. They have just about done it now in Florida. Darn, fire ants. They are the only bug that will make me resort to poison.

We are doomed to an existance of torture at the mandibles of a ferocious tiny beast.

They would pick you up with 1 finger...

I mean mean leg

If they were a bit bigger of course !

alien.gif Never fear my friends, I and the Science from UFO's will protect you with our Flying Fleet of Lazar armed Asian Lady Bugs.

And some thought they were PESTS! w00t.gif

no.gifno.gif Try putting Ladybugs up against a wall of Army Ants. How long do you think those gal's would last. I'm telling you, if ants were as big as we are... they would be the dominant species of Earth. Anyone here ever seen the movie Empire of the Ants? It is about mutant ants... Edited by Zackery00

no.gif I'am not worried about size. Thats limited by Oxygen amounts in the air and how much their exoskeleton can move. But numbers? They reproduce faster than Humans, and you know how We Are! yes.gif

Thats scary. Very scary. yes.gif

Lol thumbsup.gif

Gotta' admit, normally you see those jokes coming tongue.gif

Not this time bounce.gif

We are lucky that they cannot get large enough to present a danger to the human race.

You see, the reality is not all things in nature scale well.

What does that mean, it means what works for small things or numbers of things don't necessarily apply to larger things or larger groups of things.

Case and point, by the time an ant got about a foot long, it's legs would no longer be able to support it's body. It would also lose the ability to carry things many times it's own weight. Ain't physics a BI__H.

Yeah I was reading about this a few days ago...it's quite amazing, yet somehow very creepy at the same time.

The ants have becoem pure evil from being around us far too much!

I find that cool, cool.gif but disturbing. ohmy.gif

Just as long as we have insect poison, no ants will take over. gunsmilie.gif

Edited by MJB222

hiya!!! wazzupp!! wazzupp!!

i guess those ants enjoying the stuffs of BDSM or other torture stuffs.

i wonder, what's look like a ladybug or maybe a black widow tied-up then flogged or spanked by those ants. hah ahaha hha hah h a devil.gifw00t.gifrofl.gifblink.gif

They are really scary. Look what you might get if you accidentally step into a pond

post-2766-1114596500.jpg

I find that cool,  but disturbing. 

Just as long as we have insect poison, no ants will take over.

But what if they become immune to it?

Just wondering, how does 'ant powder' work? How does it kill the ants? I just see them go white and spasm.

• 7 years later...