Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unforgivable sins?

__Kratos__

In the eyes of god, is there any sins that are indeed unforgivable? Even if you repent.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hyperactive

• Venomshocker

• Ashley-Star*Child

Luke 12:10 And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

Blasphemy is the only unforgivable sin.

Luke 12:10 And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

662930[/snapback]

That is awesome! Thank-you.

I have become Bible-believing and God following just this past year. I have taken many Bible studies, and continue to do so, as well as have a good relationship with God. But I never saw this in Luke.

I am curious, I though there was no unforgiveable sin? I guess I was wrong, huh? lol I mean, the Bible says it, clearly. So do you think that a person who speaks bad about God, even after they have turned to Him, in heart, mind, body and soul, as well as repentance, worship,pryare and baptism, that He would not forgive? I think He owuld, but does the Bible state anywhere that all sins will be forgiven? Or is this more of an act than a sin? I just find this so fascinating. Did God mean that in this particular situation that blasemes will not be forgiven?

I deal with people bashing God often, and I get so upset, but take the 'ole WWJD approach and handle it as I think God would want me to.

662930[/snapback]

Also, what do you think "the Holy Spirit" means in this particular verse? What would be an example of blasphemes do you think?

Sorry if I am bombarding you with Q's- maybe you dont even have answers or opinions to this, but thought I'd ask. Thanks!

I was under the impression that taking your own life was the only unforgivable sin as you can never have a chance to repent for it.

Hey Sriheidel, I found some info on the net.

I thought the same thing what is blasphemy really. I have always heard this through my mom and at church. so I found this with examples.

What is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?

Can A Christian Commit it?

Jesus mentions a sin that is unforgivable in Matt. 12:31-32 and calls it blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. But what exactly is this unforgivable sin? For that, we need to look at the context.

Matt. 12:22-32 says, "Then there was brought to Him a demon-possessed man who was blind and dumb, and He healed him, so that the dumb man spoke and saw. 23And all the multitudes were amazed, and began to say, "This man cannot be the Son of David, can he?" 24But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, "This man casts out demons only by Beelzebub the ruler of the demons." 25And knowing their thoughts He said to them, "Any kingdom divided against itself is laid waste; and any city or house divided against itself shall not stand. 26"And if Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then shall his kingdom stand? 27"And if I by Beelzebub cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? Consequently they shall be your judges. 28"But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29"Or how can anyone enter the strong man’s house and carry off his property, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. 30"He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with Me scatters. 31"Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32"And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come," (All Scripture quotes are from the NASB).

Let me review this section briefly. In verse 22, Jesus healed a blind and dumb man. The Pharisees accuse Jesus of casting out demons by the power of "Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons" (v. 24). Jesus responds by saying that a kingdom divided will fall (vv. 25-28) and how the devil must first be bound before you can plunder his house (v. 29). In verses 31-32, He states that blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven in this age or the age to come.

By simply looking at the context it becomes apparent that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is saying that Jesus did His miracles by the power of the devil. This is unforgivable. But why? We can find a clue by looking at when Jesus began His ministry.

Jesus stated that His baptism was to "fulfill all righteousness," (Matt. 3:15). The word "fulfill" should cause us to think of the Old Testament. Basically, Jesus was baptized because He had to fulfill the Old Testament requirements for entering into the priesthood. He was a priest after the order of Melchizedek (Psalm 110:4; Heb. 5:8-10; 6:20). Priests offered sacrifice to God on behalf of the people. Jesus became a sacrifice for our sin (1 Pet. 2:21; 2 Cor. 5:21) in His role as priest. According to the Old Testament, in order for a priest to be consecrated as a priest, He had to be washed with water (Lev. 8:6; Exodus 29:4, Matt. 3:15) and anointed with oil (Lev. 8:12; Exodus 29:7; Matt. 3:16). Both of these were bestowed upon Jesus at His baptism. Additionally, He may have needed to be 30 years old - (Num. 4:3).

The oil is representative of the Holy Spirit who descended upon Jesus at His baptism (Matt. 3:16). It was after His baptism that He began His ministry and started performing miracles. He did His miracles by the power of the Holy Spirit who had come upon Him at His baptism. The Pharisees - who knew that Jesus' miracles validated His words and ministry (see John 11:45-48) - were attempting to discredit Jesus' Messiahship by saying that His works were by the devil and not by the Holy Spirit. Therefore, when the Pharisees accused Jesus of casting out demons by the power of Satan, they were blaspheming the Holy Spirit by whom Jesus performed His miracles. This is unforgivable because it struck at the very heart of the redemptive work of God in Christ. It struck at the very nature of Jesus’ ministry of redemption, testimony, and teaching. Jesus was ministering in the power of the Holy Spirit Himself, fulfilling the divine plan of God to provide a sacrifice for our sins (John 3:16; 1 John 4:10). The Pharisees were attributing this to demonic activity. This is a great blasphemy.

Can a Believer Commit the Unforgivable Sin?

No. A believer cannot commit the unforgivable sin. How can someone who has been born again (John 3:7), made a new creation (2 Cor. 5:17), and received eternal life (John 10:27-28) actually commit the unforgivable sin? He cannot. Jesus Himself said that we have eternal life, not conditional life: "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of My hand." Besides, it says in 2 Cor. 5:17 that the Christian is a new creation in Christ. We are different, no longer slaves to the old nature (Rom. 6:14). We are regenerated by the Holy Spirit.

There is no biblical support for a believer committing this sin. It just hasn’t happened. Also, if you are worried that you may have committed the sin and can’t be forgiven, then don’t be concerned. If you are worrying about it, then you haven’t committed it. If you are worried about it, then that is a sign that you have not committed it. If you had, you wouldn’t be concerned.

Yes, the Jewish people DID believe in the Holy Spirit. The name for the Holy Spirit was the Shekinah, and in gender in the Hebrew language was actually female. Whether the Shekinah/Holy Spirit was female or not no one really knows, but the word 'Elohim' a name for God, used in Genesis is two parts male (or plural male) and one part singular female. Could that be the Trinity, God & Jesus male, and the Shkinah/Holy Spirit female?

And yes, I brought this unforgivable sin up before....and the fact that the word for the Holy Spirit was of female gender. It's the ONLY sin which is said to be unforgivable.

Wow. So, during your life, you can kill, rape, steal, spit on the sidewalk, and litter. If you are sincerely repentant, you will be forgiven and go to the heaven of god. But, if you blaspheme, you are doomed, no matter what you may do.

Wow.

Sad thought isn't it?

Well let us say we spit and stuff on everybody? Is this nice,no so please no spitting in the forums.

Thanks you guys your doll babys. wub.gif

It is funny that only one sin is unforgivable. But I have also heard about the suicide thing in christianity. I will see about this. Because I always told myself as low as I ever get I can never kill myself because then I can't go to Heaven. This is sad. no.gif

As a Christian, I often see people bring up the suicide subject. Since there's no Scripture directly about it (at least not that I know of), here's my opinion, and reasoning behind it.

1. If you are a non-Believer, and commit suicide, then you will not enter Heaven. Reason being that you have never accepted Jesus' sacrifice and become born again.

2. If you are a Christian, and have truly been born again, then there is NOTHING that can take that away from you. I firmly believe that once you have accepted Christ, you can't un-accept Him. Therefore, the same rule would apply as if you had killed another person -- you would still go to Heaven.

3. Now, here's the kicker. People argue whether you are truly saved if you have the desire to commit murder and actually go THROUGH with it. In the end, though, the only ones who know that are you and God. Remember, every sin is just as bad as another (except Blapheming against the Holy Spirit, of course.), so murder is equal (not in severity, but in ugliness to God's eyes) to say, stealing. Christians still sin, after all.

Now, on the Blasphemy issue...this means that if you have seen the Truth, as was the case with the Pharisees witnessing Jesus' miracle, and you suppress it, ignore it, or otherwise deny it, then obviously you are wilfully staying in the "dark", as it were. It follows then that you cannot be forgiven, for only YOU can accept God's gift -- He cannot force it upon you.

Like I said, these are my opinions, after studying various Scripture passages. Remember, after all is said and done, God knows your heart.

~Scarlet~

Cannibalism, human sacrifice (remember Abraham and his son) and last but not least incest.

Do any of these and facing God is the last thing you will want to do.

Any thoughts?

That site implies God does not want you to enjoy life. That is not true, and technically, those '7 deadly sins' don't really exist. Overblown maybe, but ALL the RULES were outlined in Exodus, and the 10 MAJOR sins became the 10 commandments (thre ware 613, Juadaism still follows these rules), and even Jesus recited that as what to follow.

They ARE the rules any other 'rules' used to improve the general depravement of society is great, when it's needed, but don't pass them off as die hard rules. If they were, it would be CLEARLY stated that 'these ARE the 7 deadly sins'. The Bible/Torah is very straightforward, it's either there, or it's not.

Ashley-Star*Child, thank you for clearing that up for me. i thought i was sinning because im fat grin2.gif

The Bible/Torah is very straightforward, it's either there, or it's not.

now that is the "mother of them all"!

no sins... well i agree there are no sins, but for obvious reasons (if you read my posts).

There is no such thing as sin, and definately no such thing as an unforgivable sin, here is a lil explanation of why.

This excerpt also comes from the Conversations with God Book 1

But if there is no hell, does that mean I can do what I want, act as I wish, commit any act, without fear of retribution?

Is it fear that you need in order to be, do, and have what is intrinsically right? Must you be threatened in order to "be good"? And what is "being good"? Who gets to have the final say about that? Who sets the guidelines? Who makes the rules?

I tell you this: You are your own rule-maker. You set the guidelines. And you decide how well you have done; how well you are doing. For you are the one who has decided Who and What You Really Are-and Who You Want to Be. And you are the only one who can assess how well you're doing. No one else will judge you ever, for why, and how, could God judge God's own creation and call it bad? If I wanted you to be and do everything perfectly, I would have left you in the state of totalperfection whence you came. The whole point of the process was for you to discover yourself, create your Self, as you truly are-and as you truly wish to be. Yet you could not be that unless you also had a choice to be something else.

Should I therefore punish you for making a choice that I Myself have laid before you? If I did not want you to make the second choice, why would I create other than the first? This is a question you must ask yourself before you would assign Me the role of a condemning God. The direct answer to your question is, yes, you may do as you wish without fear of retribution. It may serve you, however, to be aware of consequences. Consequences are results. Natural outcomes. These are not at all the same as retributions, or punishments. Outcomes are simply that. They are what results from the natural application of natural laws. They are that which occurs, quite predictably, as a consequence of what has occurred. All physical life functions in accordance with natural laws. Once you remember these laws, and apply them, you have mastered life at the physical level. What seems like punishment to you-or what you would call evil, or bad luck-is nothing more than a natural law asserting itself. cool.gif

Edited by Venomshocker

@venom... interesting.

i can follow that line of thought up until it goes into the nonsense about "natural laws". no.gif

up until it goes into the nonsense about "natural laws".

What don't you understand? If you get cut you bleed. If you hurt someone, theyll probablly be mad at you. Natural laws are pretty self-explanatory. Its Cause and effect. wink2.gif

but the effect can be the cause of its own effect.

things happen in nature out of habit, not out of law.

things happen in nature out of habit, not out of law.

Things in Nature happen because of natural laws like the laws of physics.

but the effect can be the cause of its own effect.

Now you lost me. Can you explain further please?

Edited by Venomshocker

in the biological world, things happen becuase of habit, not law.

also, the "laws" of physics you speak of are not so rigid as to imply a definite result (without first imposing parameters)

on the effect being the cause of the effect: cyclical organisation.

in the biological world, things happen becuase of habit, not law.

also, the "laws" of physics you speak of are not so rigid as to imply a definite result (without first imposing parameters)

Haha, k, mayby law is to strong of a word. Principles or predictablities might fit there better. Yes I agree the laws of physics are not so rigid. wink2.gif

on the effect being the cause of the effect: cyclical organisation.

Haha, k I get it now. happy.gif

Edited by Venomshocker

God isn't judgemental T.D., and that's another reason why passing these extra rules off, that keep being added as time goes on, is wrong.

Now, as for this book about 'Conversations with God' maybe you should read a few of MY posts. There IS a hell, 10 levels of it actually, but these '7 deadly sins' aren't going to send anyone there. It's the justice system of Heaven. Murderers, rapists, people this world would give life sentences to go to hell. BUT, hell isn't, at this point in time, eternal. It's transitional.

There is also Sheol. In order for a person to be reincarnated, if they've gone to any of the levels of hell, they must work their way up to at least Sheol, and serve the time of their sentence before returning or actually going to Heaven. Most people end up in Sheol. There is a time limut for the sentences of each sin, and that, like our justioce system, decides how long a person goes to hell. Before Jesus no human bar prophets, from Adam and Eve onwards went to Heaven. Jesus changed that. Even fallen angels have time limits on their sentences and 'fall', the angels of Enoch were 'fallen' for 9 days. That's 9000 years in our time.

Edited by Ashley-Star*Child