Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jesus died of blood clot - Israeli researcher

__Kratos__

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - An Israeli researcher has challenged the popular belief that Jesus died of blood loss on the cross, saying he probably succumbed to a sometimes fatal disorder now associated with long-haul air travel.

Professor Benjamin Brenner wrote in The Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis that Jesus's death, traditionally believed to have occurred 3-6 hours after crucifixion began, was probably caused by a blood clot that reached his lungs.

Such pulmonary embolisms, leading to sudden death, can stem from immobilisation, multiple trauma and dehydration, said Brenner, a researcher at Rambam Medical Center in Haifa.

"This fits well with Jesus's condition and actually was in all likelihood the major cause of death by crucifixion," he wrote in the article, based on religious and medical texts.

A 1986 study in the Journal of the American Medical Association mentioned the possibility that Jesus suffered a blood clot but concluded that he died of blood loss.

But Brenner said research into blood coagulation had made significant strides over the past two decades.

He said recent medical research has linked immobility among passengers on lengthy air flights to deep vein thrombosis, popularly known as "economy-class syndrome" in which potentially fatal blood clots can develop, usually in the lower legs.

Brenner noted that before crucifixion, Jesus underwent scourging, but the researcher concluded that "the amount of blood loss by itself" would not have killed him.

He said that Jesus, as a Jew from what is now northern Israel, may have been particular at risk to a fatal blood clot.

Thrombophilia, a rare condition in which blood has an increased tendency to clot, is common to natives of the Galilee, the researcher wrote.

Source

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took him over 20 years to figure that out? blink.gif

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paranoid Android

• Ashley-Star*Child

• Walken

• TaintedDoughnuts

I think its amazing how he can know...without there being any evidence that Jesus even existed.

20 years, eh? Tax paying dollars?

Edit: typo's suck.

Edited by Mad Manfred

This could be a plausible explanation for death. However, crucifixtion itself causes death, for alot of reasons.

Yeah, i would have thought the whole getting nailed to a cross and left to rott in the baking desert sun would have done the job...

I think its amazing how he can know...without there being any evidence that Jesus even existed.

Actually there is a wide resource of evidence proving that a man named Jesus lived and was crucified. It is whether or not he is the son of god that should be under debate, not whether he exsisted.

Whatever the medical cause of death, we know what killed him was crucifixtion. The sun will still rise tomorrow regardless of whether or not we know if Jesus died of a blood clot.

Yes, well, I had a doctor here who was an aquaintance of my mother's once who was looking into the death of Jesus (he was actually an Onocologist, but had taken an interest in this) many years ago and showed some slides, and the many different and gruesome effects of a normal crucifiction, and that of the crucifiction of Jesus, and from what he showed and described the crucifiction itself would be enough for cause of death.

666 scourges, nailed to a cross, 'crown' of thorns, elevated off the ground for hours on end, and pierced with a sword. I highly doubt anyone would need a blood clot to die after going through all that. Not a pretty picture.

As far as I was aware, Jesus never died of blood loss. It was my understanding that the weight of pressure of the upper body pressing down on the rib-cage caused asphixiation, which was why water was found in Jesus' lungs when the centurion speared him.

As far as I was aware, Jesus never died of blood loss.  It was my understanding that the weight of pressure of the upper body pressing down on the rib-cage caused asphixiation, which was why water was found in Jesus' lungs when the centurion speared him.

668299[/snapback]

something like that, but instead of pressure, it was from all the stress He took during this? or is that pretty much the same thing? either way, it's a painful way to die, and a magizine did some research(i believe it was Time- correct me if im wrong original.gif) and concluded roman crucifixtion(sp) was the worst death to go through- and think about it, this is worse than the electric chair, getting stoned, burned, etc. poor Jesus! crying.gif

i heard from somewhere that Jesus didn't exactly die of the crucifixion, but instead died when He wanted to? i forgot the scripture, but Jesus said He will not die by the means of man, and that means He was kept alive by spiritual means, and after a while, when there was no humanly way He could be living, He took awy that spiritual thing and died.

this is about the 100th diagnosis i have heardon what jesus died of.i believe he died as a result of dehydration,being flogged,loss of blood,shock all of which led to cardiac arrest.all anybody can do is speculate anyway.

i heard from somewhere that Jesus didn't exactly die of the crucifixion, but instead died when He wanted to?  i forgot the scripture, but Jesus said He will not die by the means of man, and that means He was kept alive by spiritual means, and after a while, when there was no humanly way He could be living, He took awy that spiritual thing and died.

670510[/snapback]

The accounts of the crucifixion in Matthew and John report that Jesus "gave up his spirit" (Matthew 27:50; John19:30). It could simply be another way of them saying "Jesus died", or there really could be a spiritual reason behind it.

But the six hours that Jesus was on the cross was a very short time for crucifixion. When attempting to hasten the crucifixion so there wouldn't be any bodies on the cross over the Sabbath, "...they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead" (John 19:33). He should have still been alive, but wasn't. Perhaps he did give up his spirit early. Or maybe he died from another source. But we can't conclusively say one way or the other from these accounts.

Until next time,

No it says He was pierced with a sword though the side to make sure He was dead. That is why He died early.

But yes, I can agree tha is a horrible way to die. It wasn't just death, it was torture.

Edited by Ashley-Star*Child

John 19:33-34

But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus' side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water.

The "sudden flow of blood and water" is consistent with crucifixion via asphixiation. I mentioned this in a previous post, but I may as well say it again. When one succumbs to exhaustion, the victim slumps forward, placing pressure on the chest area. The victim dies when, through asphixiation, body fluids get into the lungs, hence the aforementioned flow of blood and water

Excellent post there BFG!. You do make a pretty compelling case, at least one that rivals what the researchers have postulated in my honest opinion. I guess my only question is this-how did water get into Jesus's lungs? Are we talking about water or perhaps just other bodily fluids that somehow entered his lungs due to the trauma that he was experiencing? Just curious as to what people think about this, blush.gif I have no medical expertise myself. hmm.gif

Thanks sublime,

But in all seriousness I have no real medical expertise either. As far as I knew, my answer was simply the most common belief among Christians.

Fluid isn't normally found in the lungs!

Fluid was found in Jesus' lungs!

WHen one asphixiates, fluid gets into the lungs!

Crucifixion involves asphixiation!

Ergo, Jesus died of asphixiation on the cross

Until next time,

Yes, well, I had a doctor here who was an aquaintance of my mother's once who was looking into the death of Jesus (he was actually an Onocologist, but had taken an interest in this) many years ago and showed some slides, and the many different and gruesome effects of a normal crucifiction, and that of the crucifiction of Jesus, and from what he showed and described the crucifiction itself would be enough for cause of death.

666 scourges, nailed to a cross, 'crown' of thorns, elevated off the ground for hours on end, and pierced with a sword. I highly doubt anyone would need a blood clot to die after going through all that. Not a pretty picture.

664847[/snapback]

Where do you get 666 scourages? The bible doesn't state it nor is it logicly consistent with the human bodys tolerance. Generally speaking a person will die after 40 lashes.

Don't see why this theory is particularly necissary. Having a roman spear driven through your side and into your heart sack would kill some one quite easily.