Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giving: where do you draw the line at?

TaintedDoughnuts

Where do you draw the line at for giving to others?(whats the max you'll give to someone?)  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you draw the line at for giving to others?(whats the max you'll give to someone?)

• NOTHING!!!! (explain why please)
    • Eh, maybe a dollar or two, if I have enough to spare
    • Some of my food, if I have enough and the person's hungry
    • 5 dollars, even if I was going to use it all
    • My McValue meal if the person looked starving
    • 10 dollars, since this person looks desperate
    • Treat them to breakfast/lunch/dinner at a nice sit- in restaurant
    • 20 dollars, BUT JUST ONCE!
    • As much as the person needs.

the scenario is this: you see a bum on the street, asking for money or food. do you trust what he'll do with the money, or give him some food? or will you ignore him and live your life?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TaintedDoughnuts

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

• sublime_serenity75

• Odin11

I do not give money to stret people. My charitable donations go to organizations.

The reason? I live in NYC, there are too many street cons and homeless to make the determination of "this one is worthy, that one is not". Give X amount to one, you might as well give to all.

I do not give money to stret people.  My charitable donations go to organizations.

The reason?  I live in NYC, there are too many street cons and homeless to make the determination of "this one is worthy, that one is not".  Give X amount to one, you might as well give to all.

669083[/snapback]

you have a point. where i live, in the middle of so cali, we have only about 2 or 3 homeless people asking for money at a time original.gif

Edited by TaintedDoughnuts

I have given food to 'street people.' I used to mystery shop a fast food joint every week and I befriended this one homeless lady and met her outside the joint and gave her my meal all the time. I don't come in contact with many, but I've never given them money when I do.

Well, there was this one supposed homeless guy hanging out in Washington Square (NYC) who wrote a poem for me on the spot. He got $10.00, but he provided a service -- the poem was pretty good too.

I don't mind buying food for someone, but I rarely give money. Where I live there is a huge drug problem and giving money just seems to perpetuate the drug use.

9 times out of ten when you offer to get them food they quickly reply that they only want the money which is when I walk away.

I do donate to reputable organizations that help folks in need, but too often the individual standing on the offramp of the freeway has no interest in getting anything but drugs; I'd rather not be a part of that...

I haven't voted because it really depends on what they need (not what they ask for). If they ask for money, I'll respond "What do you need it for". If they want it for a train ticket, which is a common one where I live, i'll buy them a train ticket. If they say "I'm hungry and need food, I'll buy them food from somewhere (maybe a nice sit-in restaurant, maybe maccas, it depends on where we are in relation to food places). If I just give them money, as likely as not it will be for things that harm their body, which wouldn't be very loving of me.

Unless it's family, absolutely nothing. I have a very libertarian attitude about life. My first priority is my family, everything else can sink or swim in all honesty. May sound harsh, but I don't want to encourage someone's drinking/drug habit.

Absolutely nothing, It may sound mean, but my attitude about homeless is that

its their fault. like when their drug users and stuff like that.

Depends the friend some maybe 20 others a thousand. Either way always write the money off as a gift. If you get back, great, otherwise your friendship can go down the drain. As far street people, I might give a dollar every once in awhile, but you have to be careful about that.

Edited by ericraven2003

I prefer to donate my time cooking at the shelter a few nights a year.

I try to give money to those on the street as often as possible, however you can only give so much so often so I voted $10 since we all have to draw the line somewhere. Of course you have to be careful about who you give money to, but in certain circumstances I don't mind dropping a ten or twenty if somebody looks like they really need it.

I buy them something. Nothing too expensive. Maybe some tuna or pork and beans. They are greatful if they are hungrey.

Well I live about 1 hour from Cleveland, Ohio…The streets are sometimes littered with homeless people and drug addicts. I’d probably give them 10 dollars because some people really do need help at their moment in life. Even though they could of possibly lead to their homeless ability, you still gotta put yourself in their situation to visualize what it’s like.

I'm in northern Ohio as well. I give to people whenever they ask, but I don't have a set amount. Most of the time when I'm asked, the person comes up with a long story why they need it and etc, etc. I really don't know if they're telling the truth, but all I know is that they just swallowed whatever pride they had, and that they're learning humility the hard way. This in itself, I think is deserving of some amount of money/goods.

Also, not all homeless people are at fault for their homelessness. I would like to hear the explanation of how an 8 year old would be at fault for their homelessness.

Peace

I reside in California and homeless is a very big problem I live on the coast, In my neighborhood we know our homeless and help where we can, sometimes thats by having a conversation , I never not help asked or not, In a country so great why do we have starving homeless people and I mean everywhere how can we call ourselves great as long as their are those who have nothing. Jesus said what we do to the least of us we do to all of us, I really take that to heart...........................

I walk to the local gas station every day and my son always comes with me ( he was 4 at the time) and we always give to the homeless no judgements just give because thats who I am anyways my son says " innocent.gif I know what I want to be when I grow up I said whats that son 'He said Homeless because people are so nice to you."'Thats why I do it I dream of a world where noone is hungry or without shelter and health care. Great question.

One night I was beatin my hoofs around the French Quarter and I was in need of a cigarette. I seen this homeless guy smoking one. He asked me for money just as I came up to him and I spotted a pack in his shirt pocket so I said this to him, " I'll give ya a dollar for a cigarette man"

He looks up at me wide eyed and instinctively clutches his pack of cigs guardingly and says, "No way dude these are mine". I am sure he reacted before thinking about it really.

What I was stuck with was how they ask for money from you and will even get mad if you say no. But you ask them for something and it can be a little strange how they react. Try it sometime!

Every step forward leads deeper into the fog.

I would never give the bum money, only give the bum food and shelter. Food and shelter are absolutes, money -- although supposed to go towards food -- will most likely be spent on drugs, booze, or things that give the bum a quick pleasure fix instead of survival -- many people other than bums would do it, too -- spending money in silly ways.

I am generous and wouldn't mind buying the bum clothing, food, or bring to a shelter if the person needed help, because if I don't help the bum, what happens if I'm a bum? Hes just going to turn me down, too.

When I see someone that's asking for donations, etc I give it to them regardless. My mother keeps saying 'they're just going to use it to get high', but look, even IF that as the case, most of those people ARE in dire straits (even if they putb themselves there in the first place, it's not the point). Same goes with people that ask me for a smoke/money/food. Does it matter WHY they need it? I recently saw a man sleeping in a carpark, the guy looked like he hadn't eaten in a week, so I gave him some food. He kept saying he didn't know how to get home (he was Asian had a bit of an accent, so he may mean his own country I don't know) we were driving by a week later and he was still there.....

My point is you SHOULD help people even if you're suspicious about WHY they need help. Alot of people who get stuck on drugs etc ran away from domestic abuse, and really ARE in need of help, because they are homeless, etc.