Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

7th Son of a 7th Son

Touch of Evil

I always thought the 7th son "powers" came from Orson Scott Card's "Alvin Maker" series of books. At least I had never heard anything special about them before reading the series anyway <shrugs>

I always thought the 7th son "powers" came from Orson Scott Card's "Alvin Maker" series of books. At least I had never heard anything special about them before reading the series anyway <shrugs>

I read the book The Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card. Not a bad read. I'd recommend it to people interested in this topic.

My wife's grandfather is a seventh son of a seventh son, and he can do weird things. I once seen him take a worm and put it in his palm. Whats so weird about that you ask, it shriveled up and died. The man is 77 years old and still does construction for godsake. But he don't look as old as some 55 yeat olds I know its creepy. His dad was the seventh son of 8 boys of 14 total siblings, and he was the seventh son of seven boys from a total of 13 siblings. He in turn had 13 kids of his own and my mother in law was the seventh child but shes a girl so I don't know how that works out. She's still creepy though. :blink:

Thats interesting. I have never heard anything about this subject.

Here are some thoughts about the #7

A highly symbolic number in the Hebrew Bible, being, for example, the day on which God rested in Genesis

The number of nations God told the Hebrews they would displace when they came to Israel. (Deut. 7:1)"When the LORD thy God shall bring thee into the land whither thou goest to possess it, and shall cast out many nations before thee, the Hittite, and the Girgash**e, and the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite, seven nations greater and mightier than thou"

The number of ayat in surat al-Fatiha

The number of heavens in Islamic tradition

The number of Earths in Islamic tradition

The numbers seven, seventy, seventy thousand, etc. are also used in Islamic traditions to denote an infinite or high number. In Arabic seventy, seventy thousand, etc. is used to mean infinite. This is because 1 is the smallest, 2 is just after 1, 5 and 10 are exact, 4 and 6 are just before and after 5, 9 is just before 10. This leaves 3, 7, and 8. 8 is closer to the end although it is larger. 8 is also an even number so divisible by 2. Between 3 and 7, 3 is smaller so 7 is chosen to represent infinite.

The number of the Deadly Sins: lust, avarice, envy, pride, sloth, gluttony and wrath

The seven terraces of Mount Purgatory (one per deadly sin)

The number of sacraments in the Roman Catholic faith

The number of palms in an Egyptian Sacred Cubit

The number of heads of the beast of the book of Revelation, and of some other monsters, like the hydra

The minor symbol number of yang from the Taoist yin-yang

The number of times Cain will be avenged upon for the murder of his brother Abel

The number of ranks in Mithraism

The number of gateways traversed by Inanna during her descent into the underworld

And this is just a short list. In addition, 7 is a prime number and throughout history primes have had special sig.

Being the 7th son of a 7th son just magnifies this importance.

I know nothing about the stories or abilities of such men, but thought I would post this regardless as some members were wondering about the number 7.

Over here in Ireland, seventh sons of seventh sons are highly regarded, as stated, for healing powers. My father in law, and several workmates swear that they have been cured of numerous illnesses by these people. They regularly 'advertise' in the paper and, as far as I'm aware, people flock to them; some people holding more faith in them than the medical profession.

There is a brazilian saying that those who have 7 male sons the last one is a werewolf, I suppose there are a lot of superstitions about the number 7.

• 10 months later...

the seventh son is a generalisation it is also the seventh daughter...... it is mearly the seventh child of a seventh child.... and all it entails is that they have a greater welspring of energy (tan-tien) and the whole torn between good and evil is no more than the same strugle we all face... only with greater power to use to that side. solomon mentions an equasion in one of his lesser keys about the seventh child and that they are powerfull but that if they do not learn to controll it then they normaly dont live as long, because the energy just burns them up faster and they mearly age faster than average, but if they learn to focus it and controll it then they can live much longer than the average human.... this may be why the grandpa mentioned before seemed younger....

i have a i am the second child of seven and the youngest is a boy if he hass a seventh child then i will have to see what happens

This reminds me of a book I read years ago by Susan Cooper. The dark is rising. It's a very good book you should read it if you havent. There are 7 books in the series. (hey :blink: ) Here is a little about it.

Will Stanton is the youngest child (and, significantly, the seventh son of a seventh son, no less) of a large English farming family who, on the eve of his eleventh birthday, learns that he is the last of the Old Ones, immortal beings whose task it has been since the dawn of time to protect the world from the forces of the Dark. It is Will's task to seek six magical Signs, each in the form of a cross within a circle, which, when united, will provide the ultimate weapon against the Dark. Will is aided in his quest by other Old Ones, most importantly Merriman Lyon, introduced to us in Over Sea and whose true identity provides the series' most direct link to the Arthurian legends. Will's enemies include the sinister Rider, who menaces Will from astride a black stallion, and the mad Walker, who seeks the Signs himself out of a demented desire for revenge against Merriman.
Linkage

I came up with some information about the meaning around number 7

Here goes:

"The number 7 is the number of completion. Time and space. Duration, distance. Old age, dissipation, death, or endurance, stability, immortality. The seven seals, principles in man, notes and colors. The triad and quaternary; the cycle of evolution; wisdom, perfection, equipoise, balance, rest. Such people have a very high convincing power. It represents spirituality, sensitivity, sympathy and mystery. The number 7 is the number of illusions and delusion, sometimes deception - but also of healing and miracles, faith and dream come true. It is the symbol of Neptune. The colors that harmonize with the number 7 vibration are: sea green, light yellow, aqua, pink and white. 7 people should avoid wearing black or dark colors."

I guess this has something to do with the stories your guys are telling.

the seventh son is a generalisation it is also the seventh daughter...... it is mearly the seventh child of a seventh child.... and all it entails is that they have a greater welspring of energy (tan-tien) and the whole torn between good and evil is no more than the same strugle we all face... only with greater power to use to that side. solomon mentions an equasion in one of his lesser keys about the seventh child and that they are powerfull but that if they do not learn to controll it then they normaly dont live as long, because the energy just burns them up faster and they mearly age faster than average, but if they learn to focus it and controll it then they can live much longer than the average human.... this may be why the grandpa mentioned before seemed younger....

i have a i am the second child of seven and the youngest is a boy if he hass a seventh child then i will have to see what happens

I'm pretty certain that it is the 7th son of a 7th son for it to work, not the seventh child of a seventh child.

I came up with some information about the meaning around number 7

Here goes:

"The number 7 is the number of completion. Time and space. Duration, distance. Old age, dissipation, death, or endurance, stability, immortality. The seven seals, principles in man, notes and colors. The triad and quaternary; the cycle of evolution; wisdom, perfection, equipoise, balance, rest. Such people have a very high convincing power. It represents spirituality, sensitivity, sympathy and mystery. The number 7 is the number of illusions and delusion, sometimes deception - but also of healing and miracles, faith and dream come true. It is the symbol of Neptune. The colors that harmonize with the number 7 vibration are: sea green, light yellow, aqua, pink and white. 7 people should avoid wearing black or dark colors."

I guess this has something to do with the stories your guys are telling.

Wow, talk about above and beyond, Darkflame. "7 people should avoid wearing dark colors"

I wonder why that should be?

I'm the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter......

I'm the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter......

Noticed anything funny about you lately?

and my ear rings whenever a tv or computer or any kind of monitor is turned on around me.

I get that! What is it?

Umm. I recommend the Seventh son of the Seventh son be taught about effective Contraception at a young age...

:runs to hide:

• Like 1

Noticed anything funny about you lately?

I've always been able to find things, I dont know whether this is because its my partner asking where things are and I'm a woman and I actually open my eyes to find things, :P

But yeah I've always found things for my family like missing jewelry and stuff fairly quickly

Umm. I recommend the Seventh son of the Seventh son be taught about effective Contraception at a young age...

:runs to hide:

:w00t::rofl:

Wikipedia has quite a bit of info on this....

I happen to be the 7th of 7 children. I'm not from a 7 though. But my dad was the eldest of 3 & Mom the eldest of 4, which is a combination of 7. I don't have a lot of "powers", but I do have the "gift" of premonition especially when it comes to family things. I have premontions basically only when it involves people I love & care about. A real double-edged sword.

any information on the last (2nd) daughter of a first born? lol and a third born (mom is first dad third)

Wikipedia has quite a bit of info on this....

I happen to be the 7th of 7 children. I'm not from a 7 though. But my dad was the eldest of 3 & Mom the eldest of 4, which is a combination of 7. I don't have a lot of "powers", but I do have the "gift" of premonition especially when it comes to family things. I have premontions basically only when it involves people I love & care about. A real double-edged sword.

cool ummm but just warning (I think I've warned this on another thread) our school librarian said we aren't supposed to use wikipedia because anybody could log on and change the information about it...I don't know...just a warning I guess

In romanian lore, that is a DHAMPHIR. The word is kinda strange, but it means vampire hunter apparently. Such a son is supposed to be able to resist vampire's spells and kill the vampire with bare hands.

I was under the impression that this was supposed to be an old Romanian gypsy story.

• 1 month later...

dammit what about the 1st child of the first child?? eek. :( lol

• Like 1

dammit what about the 1st child of the first child?? eek. :( lol

No kidding...

Oh wait.. I'm not the first...

I'm the first born of a second born... But I have two older cousins. Then there's my brother and my aunt's two kids... and my other Uncle's suposed one child...

Man.. I'm the middle of the pack! WAI

Though man... this thread was soooooooo not something to read right before bed.

The medium / Psychic Gordon Smith is the 7th son of a 7th son.....In Ireland they are reknowned for having healing powers

Yeah correct! My Mrs has a couple of his books,one of wich he says that his powers are related to him being the 7th son of a 7th son. I am a VERY VERY VERY sceptical person when it comes to psychics and as a rule think that they are all 100% fraudulent and prey on vunerable people making them lower than whale s**t. The only guy to ever make me ponder the idea is Gordon Smith. I saw him meet with a couple who were specifically asked by gordon not to give a name or any detail whatsoever when they book a session, just to turn up at a specific time. He then proceeded to TELL (not fish for info like most psychics) the couple evrey last detail of thier sons death (in a car crash) even the road he died on and what date. He told them thier sons name and described how he had moved objects in the house to let them know of his prescence. During all this the parents didnt give any information at all, they just sobbed. Afterwards they said Gordon was 100% accurate with everything. Gordon had described a picture in the house that kept being moved and other objects that he wouldnt know existed in the house, never pausing or asking questions or fishing for info.

However this was on TV and they could have been actors so im still not convinced he is 100% for real, to prove that he was genuine he'd have to do it for me and not ask a single question or fish. Another thing with Gordon is that like most psychics he does tours that ALWAYS sell out and makes lots of money from this "talent". Hmmmmmm.

well im the first child of a first child. that shuould mean something people!!! aaahh1!!!!!