Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oz Factor

Althalus

A young seaman was working aboard an oil tanker on a run from the USA to Europe, a voyage scheduled to last 2 weeks. The ship was positioned just east of the Florida mainland.

At 8pm one evening the sailor was in his cabinpreparing to visit the library. But a strange calmness had descended on the vessel. He walked out onto the deck and instictively knew something was wrong. To his astonishment, the ship was utterly deserted.

The eerie silence, calmness and isolation that he sensed around him was, as he explained, like being placed inside a ship 'within a glass bottle'. He felt suddenly cut off from the real world. This sensation has become recognized as typical of various paranormal experiences, from apparitions to timeslips and psychic visions to UFO close encounters. It is commonly described as 'all environmental sounds disappearing', 'time standing still' and 'a weird, silvery silence that descends upon the scene'.

The experience has also been defined by the term 'Oz Factor', because the cases in which it occurs cross boundaries between many different phenomena but have one thing in common. The witness appears temporarily to leave the real world and enter a strange one, like the mythical land of Oz, where the normal laws of nature are briefly suspended and magical things can happen.

The seaman wandered along the flat surface of the vessel, searching everywhere for somebody and surveying the odd way in which sky and sea had blended into one seamless whole, monotone grey in colour. As he walked the several hundred yards of deck, he met nobody. The dozens of crewmen had disappeared. Nothing changed in the skies about him and he sat on a narrow deckway, head in hands, in despair.

Then, suddenly, he heard running footsteps. He looked up and saw a shipmate asking where he had been. On his failure to arrive in the library, they had started too look for him, but although they hasd scoured the ship, he had completely vanished for some time. the walkway was too narrow to allow two people to pass without notice. they had been extremely worried, fearing he had fallen overboard.

Gazing up at the sky, the man could see that all was normal once again. The oppresiveness of a leaden atmosphere and time susupension had disappeared. He was back from Oz.

• Thanks 1

Great story! Thanks for sharing. I want to go to Oz! laugh.gif

• Like 1

I see,very interesting story,things like that seem to happen often,but are never brought to light because people are afraid of what they are....and some of the things they experiance.....but it is intresting none the less....

Edited by Tommy

• 5 months later...
Good story! Wow, I sure wouldn't want to be there when that had happend! Seems sad. sad.gif Thankies for the story!

That must have been really cary for the poor guy.Wouldn't like it to happen to me though....

Great Story,thanks for sharing thumbsup.gif

• 15 years later...
On 6/27/2003 at 9:35 PM, Althalus said:

The witness appears temporarily to leave the real world and enter a strange one, like the mythical land of Oz, where the normal laws of nature are briefly suspended and magical things can happen.

Sounds good to me 

8 hours ago, Ozfactor said:

Sounds good to me 

Well that clever response certainly warranted reviving a thread dead for 15+ years...

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2