Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jesus, son of God?

Mr Slayer

I personally believe Jesus IS the Son of God.

Now as for the term 'sons of God', literally, in Hebrew 'B'nai Elohim' they, like 'stars' refer to angels....

B'nai Elohim has always been a term for angels. Even satan was a B'nai Elohim in Job. Satan IS a fallen angel.

What us a "son of God". A son of God is someone who obeys his heavenly Father, and thatis what Jesus did. And you can do it and I can do it and if we do, then we also become sons of God.

The character Jesus of the New Testament story, was such a person.

686172[/snapback]

Actually, "sons of God" when mainly used means "angels."

Now, Jesus was the "son of God" in an actual human form.

Technically, I guess you could say all of us are "sons of God." But not in the same sense as Christ and angels.

I personally believe Jesus IS the Son of God.

Now as for the term 'sons of God', literally, in Hebrew 'B'nai Elohim' they, like 'stars' refer to angels....

B'nai Elohim has always been a term for angels. Even satan was a B'nai Elohim in Job. Satan IS a fallen angel.

687442[/snapback]

Sorry, I didn't see that you already posted this.

I think Jesus was an enlightened soul! I dont recall if he ever proclaimed to be the son of God - but I dont think he did.

I do think however he had direct communication with God (or higher power if you prefer) and that he was a true saviour of mankind.

He offered many teachings that should save ourselves from ourselves, 'saving us'.

So yeah I think he was pretty important in the heirachy of mankind!

I'm not attacking beliefs. I'm trying to put things in another perspective.

687428[/snapback]

Perhaps I misunderstood. I have a tendency to do that sometimes. If I have, i apologise. No hard feelings thumbsup.gif

All the best,

Believe what you all want to, but what makes the Bible true? Because a priest somewhere said so?

I do find it humorous that for the majority of the existance of Christianity, the religious leaders have lived in comfort while the common people have suffered.

What's even funnier is that if I lived 500 years ago, and said that, the church would have me killed.

Hooray for Jesus!

Believe what you all want to, but what makes the Bible true?  Because a priest somewhere said so?

689202[/snapback]

Trust me, its much more than just "a priest".

I do find it humorous that for the majority of the existance of Christianity, the religious leaders have lived in comfort while the common people have suffered.

689202[/snapback]

You make it seem that all Christians like this idea. Many dont (including myself).

What's even funnier is that if I lived 500 years ago, and said that, the church would have me killed. 

689202[/snapback]

Probably so. But you can't blame the entire religion for something that evil men in power did. It would be like blaming every German for Nazism.

I find it amusing that people who mock belief in God have never even researched the ENTIRETY of the documents pertaining to it to make an unbiased opinion.

• Like 1

I find it amusing that people who mock belief in God have never even researched the ENTIRETY of the documents pertaining to it to make an unbiased opinion.

689250[/snapback]

Personally I don't find that very amusing.

689250[/snapback]

689661[/snapback]

The thing is that there are countless religious texts (the Bible being only one of them). It is impossible to study and understand ALL the texts, and so skeptics (in their mind) discount them all, then find rational to support that view through a brief look at the text in question.

but if it works for them.... Good luck I say. Even though you're going straight to HELL tongue.gif . Sorry, bad joke.

All the best,

• Like 1

No...I don't think the sceptics dismiss all the texts in the Bible because they don't have the time or will to read them through...

I believe it's because they are not letting their lives be guided by some documents whose origins are highly doubtful.

(Who really wrote the stuff? Jesus' followers? You don't know that.)

Why would God need paper to subdue humanity anyway, like he apparently did in the old days of the Bible, when he was "active".

Nowadays, we don't see or hear much from God in that drastic way older civilizations did.

Today, the best and most usual arguments are no better than before;

wars, diseases and misery are Gods punishment for our sins and "you just wait and see when you die" about going to heaven or hell.

Scaring people of the afterlife judgment is a smart move- no one can control the validity of that threat.

The Bible, as a sceptic, I am actually reading through. Right now, I'm on page 313.

Know thy enemy, you know.

One of the mysteries of Christianity. much to the chagrin of those that do not believe. Is that you must first come to Christ by faith alone and then the truth is revealed to the individual with no doubts.

The facts are revealed within our hearts, but we are only able to show others with words and deeds.

There is evidence of a Creator everywhere we look. There is plenty of documentation in the scriptures. And many to attest to the truth, but again these are but words to the non-believer. But you are correct in a way.

It only becomes reasonable once you have seen the proof, but first you must come by faith and by faith alone.

Who ever said life was fair? Why does the Creator of life have to be reasonable? Perhaps His reasoning is different then ours because of His perspective.

All The Best

Irish

689250[/snapback]

689661[/snapback]

The thing is that there are countless religious texts (the Bible being only one of them). It is impossible to study and understand ALL the texts, and so skeptics (in their mind) discount them all, then find rational to support that view through a brief look at the text in question.

but if it works for them.... Good luck I say. Even though you're going straight to HELL tongue.gif . Sorry, bad joke.

All the best,

689803[/snapback]

But it doesn't matter which spiritual text you read or how much of it. Just read the sermon on the mount, heck just read the Gospel according to Peanuts and either you understand it or you do not. These so called skeptics just refuse to acknowledge what they already know deep down inside of them. They are in denial and simply do not want to face the reality of their unhappiness.

No...I don't think the sceptics dismiss all the texts in the Bible because they don't have the time or will to read them through...

I believe it's because they are not letting their lives be guided by some documents whose origins are highly doubtful.

(Who really wrote the stuff? Jesus' followers? You don't know that.)

Why would God need paper to subdue humanity anyway, like he apparently did in the old days of the Bible, when he was "active".

Nowadays, we don't see or hear much from God in that drastic way older civilizations did.

Today, the best and most usual arguments are no better than before;

wars, diseases and misery are Gods punishment for our sins and "you just wait and see when you die" about going to heaven or hell.

Scaring people of the afterlife judgment is a smart move- no one can control the validity of that threat.

The Bible, as a sceptic, I am actually reading through. Right now, I'm on page 313.

Know thy enemy, you know.

690360[/snapback]

How revealing you message is. Indeed Wars and Diseases and Misery are punishments for our immorality. But they are not sent by God to punish us, any more than the child playing in the road was hit by a truck his parents had hired to run him over because they looked out the window and saw the kid disobeying their order to not play on the road. The punishment is the consequence of doing what our parent God had warned us not to do.

One of the mysteries of Christianity. much to the chagrin of those that do not believe. Is that you must first come to Christ by faith alone and then the truth is revealed to the individual with no doubts.

The facts are revealed within our hearts, but we are only able to show others with words and deeds.

There is evidence of a Creator everywhere we look. There is plenty of documentation in the scriptures. And many to attest to the truth, but again these are but words to the non-believer. But you are correct in a way.

It only becomes reasonable once you have seen the proof, but first you must come by faith and by faith alone.

Who ever said life was fair? Why does the Creator of life have to be reasonable? Perhaps His reasoning is different then ours because of His perspective.

All The Best

Irish

690451[/snapback]

Thanks for that post, Irish. It's put everything into perspective. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Until next time,

Personally, i believe that Jesus was a good man who did good things and had a great general philosophy on life and how to live it - treat others as you would like to be treated, don't judge etc.

I don't believe he was the son of God, but then again i don't feel that it is necessary in order for me to see the inherent wisdom in what he was saying, agree with it, and live my life in such a manner (difficult as it can be at times).

• 10 years later...

I know this is from 05 - but I didn't want to begin a new topic thread . I feel that there's so many conversations so i try to look for - before I post anew.

The mockery of Jesus was something that I often think about . I think about as I see the world changing into what he said it would became.

And they knelt down before him and mocked him.

http://www.biblecourses.com/English/downloads/pdfs/CrossLessons/040.The_Mockery_of_Jesus.pdf

QUOTE(GodsMessenger @ Jun 22 2005, 12:14 AM)

QUOTE(Ashley-Star*Child @ Jun 21 2005, 12:43 AM)

689250[/snapback]

689661[/snapback]

All the best,

lol

Well here's what I believe Jesus was a great healer and psychic of his time. He brought hope to the world in his loving. He never said he was the son of a God,that we were all part of this God head within to help .To me the creator of this world was not loving,.but just a experiment to record or probe of which many have tried to bring us up out of and Jesus was one that tried. It is odd but I do believe in Jesus but I don't believe in a God.

I know this is from 05 - but I didn't want to begin a new topic thread . I feel that there's so many conversations so i try to look for - before I post anew.

The mockery of Jesus was something that I often think about . I think about as I see the world changing into what he said it would became.

And they knelt down before him and mocked him.

http://www.biblecour...ry_of_Jesus.pdf

I know you know this thread is from '05. But most people involved in this discussion aren't even here any longer. Heck, when this thread was posted, my username wasn't even Paranoid Android. To avoid people reading through this thread and quoting people who no longer post here at UM I think this is one of those times that starting a new thread may be the more appropriate option.

~ Closed