Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

FRESHWATER SHARKS

JayRob303

^ I think so too! Yes The araipamas are from the Amazonian basin...they're huge and powerful...I guess they're the orcas of the river...

Hey, Frogfish, I realized we have something in common...my favorite animals are fishes and dinosaurs...I guess yours too, right?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• frogfish

• isis-999

• ~Onyx~

Yes at Matawan Creek. It has most definatly been found well up the Amazon, Ganges and Zambize rivers though, in water which was fresh. It is known to feed on the bodies of people placed into the Ganges and has been seen annoying crocodiles in South African Rivers and traveresed the Amazon over 1000KM in.

SEE THE NEXT POST BELOW UP I NEEDED A DO OVER!

Edited by openmind1963

Yes at Matawan Creek. It has most definatly been found well up the Amazon, Ganges and Zambize rivers though, in water which was fresh. It is known to feed on the bodies of people placed into the Ganges and has been seen annoying crocodiles in South African Rivers and traveresed the Amazon over 1000KM in.

that was said to be the inspiration for peter benchley's"Jaws" was'nt it?fpr a long time those particular attacks were said to be from a great white,but was'nt the culprit a tiger shark?they may scare the hell out of you,and they will take a big bite out out you for sure,but these are truly amazingly beautiful creatures.as many folks have said before sharks

are the perfect killing machine!

I think so too! Yes The araipamas are from the Amazonian basin...they're huge and powerful...I guess they're the orcas of the river...

Hey, Frogfish, I realized we have something in common...my favorite animals are fishes and dinosaurs...I guess yours too, right?

I also adore reptiles...especially the King Cobra. My fave animal of them all.

that was said to be the inspiration for peter benchley's"Jaws" was'nt it?fpr a long time those particular attacks were said to be from a great white,but was'nt the culprit a tiger shark?they may scare the hell out of you,and they will take a big bite out out you for sure,but these are truly amazingly beautiful creatures.as many folks have said before sharks

are the perfect killing machine!

A great white was caught with human remains during the Matawan Creek incident, but it was thought that the great white just fed of the dead body of the human originally killed by a bull shark.

And oh, at the same aquarium, they also have the approx. 4m long adult Araipama Gigas...along with some juveniles.

4m? Got any more info on this specimen? I have only heard of 2.48 m as the largest specimen, possibly 2.7 m. Reports of a 4.5 m specimen from 1836 exist, but has doubtful documentation.

They actually have a bull shark on display at the Aquarium of the Pacific, I just remembered that

Yes, but on captive species. They will cut up ones caught and killed that are given to labs.

:o I'm not giving that to my dog!

j/k

I'm not giving that to my dog!

What, you mean this shark dog-food is bad for my dog! :o

Nineteen Wrote -

"In the early 1900's a bull shark swam up a brackish water way in New jersey and killed 3 or 4 children. The killings were like years or months apart, so the shark obviously took to the water pretty well, although it was still brackish (mix of salt and fresh waters.)"

Now, if i remember this event correctly, it was in fact a Great White Shark, a rogue shark infact. I remember this as it am a great fan of Peter Benchley's JAWS, from which this event was spawned. The Great White Managed to kill 3 children, 4 adults and a dog, then disapeared from the New Jersey area completely.

If my memory still works, i believe that some relatives actually believe this shark is still out there, but then again it could have up and died from being in fresh water for to long.

As for the "are sharks evolving into fresh water hunters" it could be quite possible. They are one of (if not the) oldest living creatures on this planet, and as the world changes around them...they change to adapt. I dont go into the water, personally, but i can understand now why so many people are becoming less and less willing to even swim in fresh water areas of late. And with the growing "threat" of these massive killing machienes getting closer to our shores (thats european and UK shores) i've heard alot of stories of Great Whites in perticular, being spotted off the UK coastlines.

Nineteen Wrote -

"In the early 1900's a bull shark swam up a brackish water way in New jersey and killed 3 or 4 children. The killings were like years or months apart, so the shark obviously took to the water pretty well, although it was still brackish (mix of salt and fresh waters.)"

Now, if i remember this event correctly, it was in fact a Great White Shark, a rogue shark infact. I remember this as it am a great fan of Peter Benchley's JAWS, from which this event was spawned. The Great White Managed to kill 3 children, 4 adults and a dog, then disapeared from the New Jersey area completely.

If my memory still works, i believe that some relatives actually believe this shark is still out there, but then again it could have up and died from being in fresh water for to long.

As for the "are sharks evolving into fresh water hunters" it could be quite possible. They are one of (if not the) oldest living creatures on this planet, and as the world changes around them...they change to adapt. I dont go into the water, personally, but i can understand now why so many people are becoming less and less willing to even swim in fresh water areas of late. And with the growing "threat" of these massive killing machienes getting closer to our shores (thats european and UK shores) i've heard alot of stories of Great Whites in perticular, being spotted off the UK coastlines.

No it is believed to be a bull, a great white was implicated because one was caught near R.I not long after, therr is no evidence of great whites swimming in water with that little salt.

^^ Yeah I watched a documentary about that and they at first thought great white but now believe bull shark.

Either way, ouchies.

^^ Yeah I watched a documentary about that and they at first thought great white but now believe bull shark.

Either way, ouchies.

I agree,

Either ways any man eaters can always ruin your day.

I agree,

Either ways any man eaters can always ruin your day.

Is it really worth worrying about however, you are more likely to be bitten by a New Yorker than a shark.

you are more likely to be bitten by a New Yorker

I'm still recovering from my encounter...

Great Whites I don't think can tolerate Fresh water the only one I know for definate is the Bull Shark however I do think there may ba another but not sure?

The GW cannot handel the freash water at all But the Bull Shark can they have been seen as far as 3 to 400 miles up a river.

The GW cannot handel the freash water at all But the Bull Shark can they have been seen as far as 3 to 400 miles up a river.

Try upto 1000 up the Amazon.

I'm still recovering from my encounter...

Consider yourself lucky your not living in they're "winter habitat"..........like I am. :P

I have read that several sal****er sharks can live in freshwater for a short amount of time.

What do you think of the possibility of the a shark being in the process of 'evolving' into a animal that can survive indefinitely in either salt water and/or fresh water? And what could the enviromental repricusions in the future be?

IS GOING TO EVOL IN A NEW KIND OF SUPER SHARK WITH A BIGGER BRAIN THEN HUMANS

:P Like Mattshark said...most sharks don't bite unless they're provoked.

i saw a Nat Geo channel docu about this marine biologist who's been wading in waist deep water with bull sharks in Hawaii.

According to him, he's been doin this for years... to prove a point, that sharks attack when they detect the electrical pulses produced by a panicked heartrate...

he would therefore control his pulse rate to nomal levels, thereby making the sharks to ignore and just swim around him...

in theory, this sounds convincing....n it seems to work well for him for years,

until one day....in clear waters, fine weather, with d same shark species, 'bull sharks' lots of em, with another biologist presenter & filming crews..

they were in d water together, he was talkin...sayin d same thing about, relaxing his heart rate...n everything will be fine....

n then...this bulky headed bull shark bumped n nudged his leg a bit, u can't even see it happen, unless viewed in slow motion...

a chunk of his legs were ripped off...

so now,... he's juz another shark victim...runnin around with a big chunk missin from his leg...yes, still runnin in a floppy way..

sayin at first, he can't explain how n why it happened...n he's supposed to be d shark expert...

guess there'll be no more research grants after that..

juz goes to show, that with sharks... no one truly knows...

but now, i think he's blamin d other guy who was with him in d water...