Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Llorona

mypaddedroom

user posted image Has anyone heard any stories of the Llorona? If you don't know what it is you can do a google search on it. Here's one site that's a good intro to the ghost if you don't know.

http://www.lallorona.com I put this thread here because it's a myth to me.

I heard a few stories about her she was suppose to be able to be seen in a town 5miles frmo mine, but you never know. Also she is very popular in Belin, New Mexico.

Anyone have any stories about her?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greattenchim

• mypaddedroom

• citiesxinxdust

• Jeenuh

was reading ghost stories on this topic today! maybe i can find them again!

user posted image Has anyone heard any stories of the Llorona?  If you don't know what it is you can do a google search on it. Here's one site that's a good intro to the ghost if you don't know.

http://www.lallorona.com  I put this thread here because it's a myth to me.

I heard a few  stories about her she was suppose to be able to be seen in a town 5miles frmo mine, but you never know. Also she is very popular in Belin, New Mexico.

Anyone have any stories about her?

712913[/snapback]

2PAC4LIFE this story is wild i have never heard it before but read the link,wonder what was suppose to be the real story of her and the baby? unsure.gif

I'm not sure I heard so many weird stoiries of her. She is creepy though I think that she supposly drowned her kids in Rio Grande River. I'm pretty sure that's what most websites say anyways.

I live in Deming, NM and my friend always told me stories about her when she lived in Hatch, her stories always surround a body of water, a river or canal of sorts, most of the stories are different and I've heard lots of different versions.

Mostly she's mad at her lover for something, she drowns the kids and then is angry at herself for doing so, sometimes she runs and searches for them and falls, other times she drowns herself and such.

Lots of versions, interesting story. original.gif

There's always a variation of this story floating around....in the next town 5 miles from me, there's a similiar story of a woman's ghost searching for her lost, drowned children. I would say it's a common hispanic urban legend very common in hispanic communities.

All's I know is that she is found in the Southwest and tempts people into the water to drown them. She drowned her children in a lake and was forced to remain on earth because of her deed. The story seems a little farfetched to me, so without evidence I don't really believe it. Nonetheless, it could be a true story and Llorna is the cause of the all the drowning in that lake, I suppose.

I'm not sure I heard so many weird stoiries of her. She is creepy though I think that she supposly drowned her kids in Rio Grande River. I'm pretty sure that's what most websites say anyways.

713230[/snapback]

There's also a version of the story where she threw her kids off a cliff into the river. Living near the Rio Grande, I myself have never heard her weeping sad.gif

Edited by riotboy555

Yeah that's basically all what I heard too. Then I heard that there's all those sightings because she goes any place that there is water to search for her kids. But it's pretty weird.

Another UM Thread

here's another thread on whatshername that I don't know how to spell..... hope it helps in the least bit...

LA LLORONA

Gary, Indiana

This strange and frightening phantom has been making appearances in the old Gary neighborhood of Cudahee for many years. She is usually seen near Fifth and Cline Avenue. Years ago, Cudahee was made up of mostly Mexican immigrants who came north to find work in the steel mills. Many people believe that the legend of La Llorona came with them....

The original story tells of a young widow who lived with her sons in a small town near Mexico City. It seems that she fell in love with a young nobleman who refused to marry her because of her children. The woman went mad and one night she savagely murdered her children. She ran to her lover to tell him what she had done but he was repulsed and frightened by her and threw her out of his house.

Now completely insane, she roamed the streets, her children's blood on her hands and dress, weeping and screaming. Before she could be apprehended by the authorities, her body was discovered face down in a pool of muddy water.

For hundreds of years, the story of the bloody, woman in white has been told in Mexico City and she was called "La Llorona, the weeping woman". Some believe this spirit came north with the immigrants but others believe the Mexican population simply gave the name of their legend to a ghost that already existed in Cudahee.

They claim that the ghost is actually that of a woman whose children were killed in an auto accident in the early 1930's. After their funeral, she returned to the spot many times and wandered the area crying for her children. She died, completely insane, many years ago, but her spirit still continued to wander.

Despite the frequent sightings of La Llorona, she has remained an elusive ghost. Many researchers and investigators have tried in vain to track her down but she remains one step ahead of them, still roaming the night, crying over the loss of the children whose blood still stains her hands.

La LJorona has been reported in the Cudahee section of Gary, Indiana in the northwest comer of the state. She is most often seen near the comer of Fifth and Cline Avenue.

Another UM Thread

here's another thread on whatshername that I don't know how to spell..... hope it helps in the least bit...

713798[/snapback]

Thanks for the link! I remember hearing stories about this from a high school friend who supposedly heard la llorona crying near the gila river, which to my surprise is mentioned on the site as a place where she appears or is heard.

Edited by citiesxinxdust

http://www.lonestarspirits.org/investigati...legends.html....

This topic was started because of me mentioning something in another thread. I didn't want to go off topic in their thread or hijack it so it now here.

Here it goes......I seriously thought this was a dream or me sleep walking until SANCHERA1978 got my attention because he has heard of an urban legend that matched the discription of my story. Supposedly he said it's called the La llorana.

Here's my version of what happend...(hope I don't get shot down for this or get advise to get medical help) i considered it a dream...but things don't add up.....

have had a weird experience I can't figure out either. I was visiting a friend in Alberquerque, New Mexico. I woke up real late one night at his grandmothers house and needed to smoke a cigarette and I was a guest so I felt strange walking downstairs and outside because I didn't want to look like I was snooping around and didn't want to open the door and set off alarm because I didn't know if there was one. Earlier, we cracked the window upstairs to smoke, which was ok but my buddy didn't want the smell of smoke to linger. So as I went to open the window, I saw something that just paralized me as I felt tingly all over. I heard the rustling of leaves and a little twig snap.There was a lady, she didn't look evil, but it was just eerie to see an old lady around 100 years old at least sitting at the very top of the tree limbs, about 20 feet away and she was staring right back at me. She looked like that lady riding the bike in the movie "in the mouth of madness". There was no way she could have climbed the tree because of her age, and I know the treetop could not have held her weight. I was stunned for about 10 seconds before I backed away. Also, this was about 3 am in the morning. I remembered knocking a few things over when I backed away. It was so real, though I could not tell if I was dreaming or if I was awake. The next morning though, the objects I knocked over were the candle stands on the dresser. I told my friend, and he said it has something to do with a lady that is looking for her baby and GOD is punishing her until she finds her baby that she drowned. There is a similar story so I don't know what the hell's going on.......I don't know if it's anything paranormal, i could have been sleep walking.

Info I got off web on her... ...

La Llorana (la yo-RAH-nah)

This tale dates back centuries and has made its way up from Mexico to as far as New York City. The name is Spanish for "The Weeping Woman". Here is the tale as I originally heard it:

During Spain's colonization of Mexico, a Spanish nobleman fell in love with an Aztec princess. As she was neither Spanish nor Catholic, he never married her, but they maintained a household and had two children together. One evening, he did not come home and she became worried. She sought him out at his parent's house, and found him...in the middle of his wedding reception, with his blushing Spanish bride at his side. In anger and pain, she ran home and grabbed their two children. She took them down to the river, and drowned them. Soon after, she realized what she had done and took her own life. Now, wherever you find water flowing free, you can hear her weeping and crying for her children.

In some areas this legend has merged with the Vanishing Hitchhiker. In Dallas, she is known as the Donkey Lady of White Rock Lake who was hideously deformed and now haunts amorous couples in their cars.

Its a very popular tale here also. Here is something I just found while checking what places are supposed to be haunted in my city.

El Paso - La Hacienda Restaurant - This restaurant is on the riverbanks of the Rio Grande which separates El Paso, Texas from Juarez, Mexico. It is said that on certain nights the apparition of a woman can be seen walking near the restaurant weeping loudly and asking for her children who have drowned in the river.--theshadowlands.net

Las Cruces - Rio Grand River - This lady back in the days when the river ran a mile wide. She got sick of her kids and drowned them. She shortly died after word. Only to be sentenced to her own type of hell. She is now in search of her kids which was promised she would never find. To this day you can see her faint glow across the river with her high pitched screechy scream that will leave your ears ringing for weeks.

Edited by Wolfwood

Its a very popular tale here also.  Here is something I just found while checking what places are supposed to be haunted in my city.

El Paso - La Hacienda Restaurant - This restaurant is on the riverbanks of the Rio Grande which separates El Paso, Texas from Juarez, Mexico. It is said that on certain nights the apparition of a woman can be seen walking near the restaurant weeping loudly and asking for her children who have drowned in the river.--theshadowlands.net

Las Cruces - Rio Grand River - This lady back in the days when the river ran a mile wide. She got sick of her kids and drowned them. She shortly died after word. Only to be sentenced to her own type of hell. She is now in search of her kids which was promised she would never find. To this day you can see her faint glow across the river with her high pitched screechy scream that will leave your ears ringing for weeks.

725034[/snapback]

I hear more stories about her in Hatch than Las Cruses. The river in Las Cruses is usually dry and most of the houses by it are farms. >/. And I think there's a fence around it, I've never looked closely but I've passed it a lot of times.

Hatch and other small towns around there it's more popular, not in Las Cruses, which is a big city.

(More common spellings are La Llorona and La Llarona

See also Woman Hollering Creek). (also know as

la yorona)

Well growing up in Texas, ive heard many variations of all of these stories including la yorona. I'm from Corpus Cristi and from anybody from here my story comes from the west side of town near the railroad tracks close to Miller High School. My grandmother told me that her dad was walking home at about 10:00 p.m. from a long day's work when he decided to take a rest near an old tree along the railroad tracks. Of corse at that time there were no street lights because it was mostly field,so he had to carry a lantern.About 10 minutes after he had sat down against the tree he heard a soft crying sound. He looked around to see were the noice was comming from vut could see anybody. Afew seconds pasted and he still heard a cry he looked up at the top of the tree and saw a women in white floating around the top of the tree with no face. He mentioned it to my great-grandmother and of corse she was somewhat skeptical untill they went back to there other home over the weekend near lake mathis.

She claimed that she saw a women in a white dress kind of depressed looking.She wanted to ask her what was wronge ,but when she went to ask her she seemed to have just disappeared. Another Part of this story was told to me by my friends mother on the way back from an out of town game in San Antonio.She said since she killed her kids and threw them in the river she roams the streets in Texas that are near rivers or streams searching for there bodies. At night when its very dark if you turn your headlights off right before you get to a road thats curvy and then turn them on low beam as you are turning you will see her figure as you drive down the curvy road.

That's a creepy story, Christine! Anyone wishing to write to her, may reach Christine at nunyabiznizether1025@yahoo.com .

here another story

La Yarona (the cryer)

There is an old mexican folktale around

where I live that has some similarities to

the Donkey Lady, and in some senses your

story might be a variation of the Yarona. In

the story no specific towns are named but,

it was supposed to happen in the Castroville

and Hondo area.

Well as the story goes a young woman marries

a man she does not love. He loves her and he

is rich so she decides she will marry him to

make her family happy.

As the years went on she gave birth to 2

sons that this man loved dearly. As so it

happened the woman met a man in a nearby

town. She fell in love with him and began an

affair.

Well her husband found out and threatened to

leave her with the two boys. In a fit of

anger she slipped out one night with the

children she went to her lover with the

children.

As the months went by the lover who was

seeing another woman as well became annoyed

and fearful the children would find out

about his other lovers. So he finally told

her to get rid of them. Send them to their

father or grandparents. He was fed up with

their fighting and breaking things in his

house.

She returns home to find that her parents

are dead. Her husband remained at their side

until their deaths for he still had a

respect and love for them. After they died

he began to search for his children. He was

said to have set off looking for them and

never finding them he settled down in

another town in Texas, another version has

him moving to Mexico.

Another version has him leaving never to

return because of the pain he went through

in the town.

His wife is confused to find her world so

changed. She had no sisters or brothers to

leave her children with. She loves her

children and her lover yet she can't choose

between them.

As it so happened she stopped to have a

picnic with the children near a river. This

is the only specific location, what would

later become the Regional Park and the

Medina River. Well as she went over in her

mind what she could do something snapped.

She smiled and calmly plucked up one boy,

the youngest. This boy was said to be 3 or

4. She walked to the edge of a cliff and

gently tossed him into the river. This boy

didn't know how to swim and drowned quickly.

As her other son rushed over to try to save

his brother she promptly grabbed him under

his arms and plopped him into the river as

well.

It was said she was truly insane at that

moment. She rushed to her lover and told him

that the children where with their

grandparents. A week after the drowning her

lover was bored with her and dissappeared.

It was at this point that she realized what

she did to her children. Screaming she ran

out into the night howling. It was said that

people saw her after that as a woman who was

wearing all white, crying as she wandering

along the river. If approached she would run

away screaming "I did it for him! They were

my children!"

Several reports were made of this woman and

the police began a search for her. The

bodies of the children were never found. Two

years passed, and she somehow made an

amazing journey around Texas' rivers and

streams, looking for her murdered children.

She found herself at the same spot where

they had their little picnic. She could see

the children playing about in the sun. She

remembered them having so much fun that day.

In all her grief she calmly leapt off the

same cliff she tossed her children from. 2

years to the day she killed them.

It was said that a week later, to the day

that the lover abanndoned her, her body was

recovered.

People thought that this was the end to this

tale of great sorrow. But, to this day

people still claim to see a woman dressed in

all white dress that is outdated. She cries

out to the streams looking for her children.

It is said she is cursed to walk the rivers

until the bodies are given a proper burial.

There are various endings to this tale, one

begining she came back as a woman dressed in

black a symbol of her guilt for her crime.

She is in red to symbolize her adultress

ways and as the blood of her children soaked

into her dress. It was also said that she

was very pretty and as a punishment for her

sins she was given the face of a white horse

with sunken in features.

My grandfather is one of those people who

have seen her. He was walking home one night

with his brother. They were tired from a

hard day of work in the fields of the local

farmers and could not think of anything else

but, getting home to sleep. They were headed

to the house that my grandfather and

grandmother to this day still live in. This

house is but, a few blocks from the river.

As they walked across a field in front of

the house they realized a woman walked just

ahead of them. She was wearing all white.

She began to cry. They both ran up behind

her asking her what was wrong. She was

headed towards the river.

Again and again they asked her but, she only

answered them back with her cries. As they

got closer to her my great uncle began to

realize something. He yelled to my

grandfather to look at her feet. As he did

so he saw she was floating two feet off the

ground. Both ran away to the house locking

it tight and my grandmother was confused

about it all until he told her what they