Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Captain pugwash inuendo names!

nick_fury

I'd like to put this urban legend well and truly to rest as everyone i ever ask seems to think that it was in fact true:

TheCaptain Pugwash cartoon, which originally ran on the BBC between 1958 and 1967, is widely believed to have featured characters with risqué maritime names such as Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger the Cabin Boy.

In fact, the crew of the famous Black Pig ship included sailors with no such names: present on board were Master Mate, Tom the Cabin Boy, and Pirates Barnabas and Willy. (No character with the designation of 'Seaman' appeared in the show.)

Series creator John Ryan successfully won retractions and settlements from the Sunday Correspondent and the Guardian after both newspapers claimed that the show's characters did indeed have smutty names, and that the BBC had taken it off the air as a result.

So there tongue.gif

• Like 2

Rofl. Still funny though. Master Bates? Come onnn. He must have had horrible parents. hmm.gif

• Like 1

I think master was his marine title rather than his first name Jeenuh rofl.gif

• Like 1

I had a cousellor in junior high school whose name was Harold Pussey (pronounced pyu-zee) but of course, like all Harolds, he went by Harry. So on his door, his name plaque said

"Harry Pussey"

my question is this: what parent names their child Harold when his last name will clearly always be Pussey??

w00t.gif

LMAO

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

Well, it should have done. Roger the cabin boy!!!!

• Like 1

good grief, what a Necro!

Master Mate is still DANGEROUSLY close to the myth version. o.o

The funny thing is when I first heard this rumour I couldn't recall a Master Bates but I would've sworn blind there was a seaman Staines on the show.Don't trust your memory kids!

• Like 2

"Well, kipper me capstan!"

• Like 1

I had a cousellor in junior high school whose name was Harold Pussey (pronounced pyu-zee) but of course, like all Harolds, he went by Harry. So on his door, his name plaque said

"Harry Pussey"

my question is this: what parent names their child Harold when his last name will clearly always be Pussey??

w00t.gif

LMAO

I went to school with a couple of people who had interesting names Wayne Kerr.. Richard Cranium.. and a kid I used to live to had a name Timothy Edward Ross Darcy

One kid's name last name was Bates.. had a old english teacher that would say Master (insert last name) when you were in trouble..

Funny enough he only said that to Dylan Bates once.. It might have been the riotous laughter that exploded when he first said that to Dylan in the class room :P

I think you could guess

• Like 1

I met a chap in the army called Hugh Janus. (No...seriously)

• Like 2

I met a chap in the army called Hugh Janus. (No...seriously)

Err...was he a bo(u)mbardier, I schooled with a guy called R.Sole (Roger Sole) who became a defence Solicitor. I guess we cant win them all.
  • Like 3

Jack Miouf deserves a show of hands.

• Like 4

Jack Miouf deserves a show of hands.

P.Green & W.Anchor & Ty Nickerson are all real names.
  • Like 2

P.Green & W.Anchor & Ty Nickerson are all real names.

I have met a few W. Anchors in my time, popular name.

• Like 2

I kid you not, I went to school with two brothers named Tommy and Ray Gunn! And they called their father, Pop!

• Like 3

I've just realised...If Beyonce had married the late showman Roy Castle, would she be known as 'Beyonce Castle'? (Just a thought).

• Like 2

I've just realised...If Beyonce had married the late showman Roy Castle, would she be known as 'Beyonce Castle'? (Just a thought).

Did you serve with any Captain Darlings, Eald? General Panic? Major Catastrophe?

• Like 1

I kid you not, I went to school with two brothers named Tommy and Ray Gunn! And they called their father, Pop!

Shuuuuuuuuuuut uuuuuuuup! no way!

• Like 1

Did you serve with any Captain Darlings, Eald? General Panic? Major Catastrophe?

Unfortunately not, Eldo. One of my drill instructors at Sandhurst was a certain Sargeant Sargent, though! (very confusing!)..

I've yet to meet Corporal Punishment...I assume he'd be a Red-Cap at Colchester.

• Like 3

Unfortunately not, Eldo. One of my drill instructors at Sandhurst was a certain Sargeant Sargent, though! (very confusing!)..

I've yet to meet Corporal Punishment...I assume he'd be a Red-Cap at Colchester.

Aye..... along with Private Property.

• Like 1