Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was it a Big Foot or a Skinwalker? (Please Read )

Everything Burns

OK here is my story. I did not see anything but i had heard something.

Sometime in June of last year, Me, My Mom, My Uncle, and My Uncles girlfriend Nora all went up to Payson, Arizona to camp out for a while. When we had go there we called My Uncle to find out were he wanted to meet us, since he left before us we didn't know where to meet him. We went to a little place on a hill i think it was a fishing store cause there was a lake behind it. Anyway, we made are way back to the camp site, but on the way my Uncle had to stop and cut up some wood. When we got there his tent trailer set up already. We all just hug out by the fire and talked for a while.

I got bored and asked Nora if she wanted to go for a walk or something. She said yeah but it was getting dark. We went anyway. We went down the first trial which was in front of our campsite it wasn't to scary just a straight path. When we were on the way back from the walk i asked her if she wanted to go on the other trial behind the campsite she said yes. We had gotten back to my Uncle and my Mom and told then we were going to go on the other trial. We headed down the trial. It was almost dark. We walked halfway and she asked me if we should go back because it was getting dark... I said no... So we kept going. We kept walking until we couldn't see the sun anymore and were going up a hill.Thats we started to hear noises. First i though i heard a band playing in the distance and then i though ' Were in the middle of the woods, theres no band out here ' So i ignored it and kept walking. Then she stops and looks at me and i say ' What ' and she says ' Did you hear that ' and i said ' No what ' and she goes ' That sound it sounded like a wild animal ' She said it was probably nothing so we kept going and thats when i heard it. It sounded like a wolf... or something. I looked at her and she looked at me and i said ' What was that ' and she said ' I don't know but lets turn around '. We walked...The fast as we could back to the site... We then started to heard someone yelling. As we got closer... It turns out it was only my Mom yelling for us cause it was getting dark.

Once we got back we told them about what we had heard my Uncle didn't believe us but my Mom did.

We sat around the camp fire until it was completly dark until it was at least 12am, then we went to bed. About 4 or 5 in the morning i was awaken by the sound of sticks being crushed...As if they were being stepped on. I tryed to ignore it and go back to sleep but just when i tryed i heard a few wolfs howl... then a few more. Soon enough it sounded like there was a whole back of wolves howling. I was scared to death. The sounds from the wolves had stoped when i heard a shriek and really loud screaming sound. It sounded like a woman being killed...It faded after about 4 seconds. I was about to wake my Mom up when she says ' Tera did you hear that' and i said ' Yes '. We started to talk about what it might been when my Uncle said ' Cut it out you two ' and my Mom was trying to tell him that we really did heat something...... But he didn't believe us. When we had woke up awhile after that we were asking if they had heard anything. They didn't.

A few days after we went home my Mom told me that her friend said that it could have been a skinwalker. She said that they are evil spirits that take a form of an animal..... and are usually out to kill someone. Another friend told her that he had come to think about it and a few years ago a laddie was murdered up there on the Mogollon Rim and it could have been her living that night over again. He said she was killed on Memorial Day, and come to think about it we were on the Rim and it was Memorial day........

....... My Mom always though it could have been Big foot. but after she remembered what the sound sounded like she said it was probably something evil. But to this day it is still unknown to what it was. Was it a Big Foot, Skinwalker.........

P.S. Im sorry its so long!!!!!!! But i had to find a place for everything. This story is true by all means!!!!!! Below are two pics that were taken.. one by my Uncle and the other by Nora........ Now you now why my screenname is skinwalkers_haunted_woods.

Tera

post-20642-1121218074_thumb.jpg

post-20642-1121218241_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skinwalkers_Haunted_Woods101

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Skinwalkers Haunted Woods 2005

• battleangel

• teapot2432

• _Only

I don't have time to read it all right now (at work)... but paragraphs would make it much much easier to understand....

Is that good enough for paragraphs?? I tryed my best. Thanks for wanting to read it im sorry its long but its worth it.

Tera

Edited by Skinwalkers_Haunted_Woods101

Deffinately not a Bigfoot, but this whole 'Skinwalker' thing sounds like an old ghost story they told you to scare you - particularly because of the addition of the whole...

He said she was killed on Memorial Day, and come to think about it we were on the Rim and it was Memorial day

...thing. It just seems like he was trying to scare you there.

Other people here may have some idea of what it is, though.

You were in the woods, animals make weird sounds, and you were scared, but all this together and i would have to say, it was either; a mad Bigfoot- you were in its territory, or just a wolf pack out hunting for dinner!

I agree with Isis. Some animals can give an extremely human screech. I think it was that mixed with your fear.

• 2 months later...

Deffinately not a Bigfoot, but this whole 'Skinwalker' thing sounds like an old ghost story they told you to scare you - particularly because of the addition of the whole...

...thing. It just seems like he was trying to scare you there.

Other people here may have some idea of what it is, though.

You dont think it was a big foot? So you think it was a ghost. Isnt that the same as a skinwalker?

Tera

You were in the woods, animals make weird sounds, and you were scared, but all this together and i would have to say, it was either; a mad Bigfoot- you were in its territory, or just a wolf pack out hunting for dinner!

No it wasnt any of that im sure. If you heard it you would understand. I know for a fact it sounded like it was flying over us. Like it could have been a werid flying animal or something.

Tera

I agree with Isis. Some animals can give an extremely human screech. I think it was that mixed with your fear.

I know that the first sound was a pack of wolves but the second noise wasent anything normal. I cant explain how it sounded. It was not a animal and it wasent my imangination. I was something. I know you dont believe me but no one does and i really dont care. I know what i heard.

Tera

Hmmm. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but without anyone seeing anything, could have been alot of legit things that go bump in the night. Need some proof..pic, eyewitness, footprint...something.. :unsure:

You said that the second sound sounded like a woman being killed. That is like the sound a bobcat makes, or at least one that is mixed with a siamese house cat. The sound of something flying over you may have been the wind in the trees.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tera,

I'm curious as to what you meant by hearing a "band" out there. Can you be a little more descriptive? What precisely did you hear?

There are all sorts of opinions on what skinwalkers are, even on the reservation. Some Navajo consider them demons, others ghosts, or possessed people. On the same hand, a large portion of the Navajo tribe seem to have never seen one for themselves so we're talking pretty much what would be second hand gossip. Add to it that skinwalkers are taboo for open discussion and you have a situation where the people who have seen one are hesitant to talk in any detail about the experience outside of their own family unit. The person who told you that skinwalkers were "evil spirits that take the form of animals" could've thought that they were correct or have been trying to spook you out. In actuality, skinwalkers are human beings, according to those who have had numerous close up experiences with them.

Here's a carving done by a Navajo artist, Lawrence Jacquez, that depicts a skinwalker:

Lawrence Jacquez's Skinwalker

Although they are human and quite real, they are still very dangerous and have a tendency to be mischievious. Could it have been possible that you and your family ran into a skinwalker and its pack? Possibly...it wouldn't be the first time that somebody has been "treated" to this kind of thing. Odd way to look at it, but considering how rare the occurences are, it is kind of a treat. Do try to remember what the "band" sounded like because that would be really very helpful (and interesting!). I'll explain why afterwards.

BIGFOOT EXISTS BUT NO ONE BELIVES ME

i really think it was a pack of wolfs, or some wild animals, its the woods...you never know...

BIGFOOT EXISTS BUT NO ONE BELIVES ME

i really think it was a pack of wolfs, or some wild animals, its the woods...you never know...

Actually, there is a huge amount of oral history and current history in regards to skinwalkers. Not only is the Navajo tribe aware of them but all of the surrounding tribes as well including the Hopi, Zuni, Ute, Acoma and so on. Neighboring tribes tend to say "don't go driving on the navajo rez at night" because of skinwalkers.

However, it is more likely that it was a pack of wolves. If skinwalkers were an animal, they'd probably be considered an endangered species at this time. There are fewer and fewer sightings of them over the years. The most recent confirmed sighting that I am aware of happened about 3 years ago. At the same time, Tera's mention of a "band" being heard at dusk is very interesting and I'd like to hear more specifics on that one.

If you heard wings and a screech, it was probably an owl. You can definitely hear their flight, and the calls they make can chill the bone. I know there is a wolf recovery range in that area, and there are always tons of coyotes. A lot of smaller animals make some eerie noises as well. Not sure if AZ has them, but in my area we have fishers, which sounds like a baby crying, or screaming. I'm sure others of the weasel family sound similar.

Edited by Hmm

maybe skinwalkers cant only morph to animals...but to rock stars too...

Skinwalkers can't morph into animals. Keep in mind that what generally is known about skinwalkers is based on sightings that occur on very dark nights. Because it is dark, it is very hard for anyone to pinpoint what exactly it is that they are seeing. A little light, however, reveals alot...namely, the body of a man (or woman) with a bloody animal skin covering him. However, if you have never seen one and without a great deal of light, it is easy to mistake them for being a misshapen animal. In fact, the large number of stories are precisely based on this. Something that somebody couldn't quite discern but it looked like an animal to begin with. The families that have had alot of experience with them and have seen them very well are the most likely not to discuss it. The taboo in regards to talking about skinwalkers has double jeopardy to it. On one hand, if you talk about them and seem to know too much, you are one. Or, if you talk about them too much, they're going to come after you--kind of like an all knowing boogeyman. Those families that have had ongoing problems with them are going to be probably the most silent with outsiders on the topic. This allows the majority of sightings to be single sightings and leads to the description of them being able to become other animals like a were person. Skinwalkers do become the animal of their choosing (usually a coyote, wolf, bear or mountain lion) but not in a physical sense. They become it mentally only. The rest is emulation...kind of like an Elvis impersonator. Looks a bit like Elvis, especially in the dark and far away, but it isn't Elvis.

I agree. The flapping wings and screeching was most likely an owl. There is absolutely no accounts that I am aware of in regards to skinwalkers taking on bird qualities.

• 1 month later...

I think it WAS a Skinwalker. As far as proof, I'm not sure you would ever find it, from what I've learned about them.

What have you learned about them?

Tera

:D

If you heard wings and a screech, it was probably an owl. You can definitely hear their flight, and the calls they make can chill the bone. I know there is a wolf recovery range in that area, and there are always tons of coyotes. A lot of smaller animals make some eerie noises as well. Not sure if AZ has them, but in my area we have fishers, which sounds like a baby crying, or screaming. I'm sure others of the weasel family sound similar.

no man it sounded like.... a woman screaming at the top of her lungs but it couldnt have been a woman because it lasted to long. and also towards the end of it there was like music or some kinda of chant. maybe im crazy but thats what i heard. and i know it was not any type of animal. im not that stupid.

uh no

skinwalker is an extremely creepy name,,,it sounds hellish and scary to me,,,,

sounds like they work on transfiguration, which is an advanced psychic ability,,,,,

here's a creepy transfiguring activity that any psi-noob can do,,,,,,find a mirror and look into it,,,,look into your eyes,,,then look at your forehead and don't stop looking,, eventually your face will start looking very evil,,,,,,keep practicing,,,,

there's also another alternative to this,,,,find your best friend,,,,or just any friend, then look at eachothers foreheads untill you both look evil

you see with this,,,my eyes start changing into demonic looks, and a horns come out of my head, my skin turns red,,,,once i loose focus i rapidly change back into human,,,,,,by best friend claims that his eyes turn blue, and he starts looking creepy,,,,,,,,,,

now if i could hold that image, then i could turn into a demon or something and terrorize people,,,,,,,which would be cool for a few days, but if i can't turn back that would be bad

i heard of a story of this person that could transfigure into a goat, that this one girl told me about,,,,,,,a real person she met

no man it sounded like.... a woman screaming at the top of her lungs but it couldnt have been a woman because it lasted to long. and also towards the end of it there was like music or some kinda of chant. maybe im crazy but thats what i heard. and i know it was not any type of animal. im not that stupid.

Thanks for the clarification. A close family member has had an experience within the last few years of hearing a horrible wailing/screaming sound coming from the side of our home. He and his best buddy walked around the corner and came upon a skinwalker woman. She was standing on twos, covered in the paints and a skin, half shrieking/half singing (he compared it to sounding like what a woman would sound like while giving birth lol). They turned right around and ran back inside the house. So, I do know of one story that involves a skinwalker screaming. Did you hear what sounded like flute or a recorder (you know that instrument we probably all had to learn in school)?

The reason why proof will be improbable in the getting is that most of the people who see them are Navajo. You're not going to find a Navajo grabbing a camera when one comes a-visiting. Even with my interest in them, if I ever had another good sighting of one, I probably would NOT go run to grab a camera and just the thought of snapping a picture of one fills me with utter trepidation. If you take a picture of a skinwalker, it could potentially reveal who they are (which equals death to them). What do you think a skinwalker would do to the person taking a picture? Remember, we're talking about intelligent human beings here.

Also, it's also good to know that skinwalkers do not travel alone. You may see one but there are always more. We had a total of 4 outside our house one evening and they have been spotted moving in packs several times as well. If what you heard was skinwalker activity, there probably was more than just one out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it WAS a Skinwalker. As far as proof, I'm not sure you would ever find it, from what I've learned about them.

hehe your telling me.