Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haunted Huntsville Alabama

ghostwatcher

:?: Where exactly is this Dale Mansion site in Hazel Green and what's is the story about that? :?:

Pam-Doggirl3

Edited by Doggirl3

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doggirl3

• ghostwatcher

• hunter of oddities

• OnlyHope08

Yeah I know where Maple Hill Cemetery is thanks.  To answer your question about haunted sites I have been to several; a Cry Baby Holler or Hollow (it has been called both) in Hartselle, sometimes considered to be in Decatur, Decatur High School, considered to be haunted, I have experienced the phantom footsteps first hand, Gordon-Bibb Middle school in Decatur, before the remodel, there was a haunted stairway, at one time G-B was a hospital, the Dale Mansion Site in Hazel Green, and Dauphin Island, 2 sites, Fort Gains and the Shell Mounds.

Hey I would like to know where this Dale Mansion that have been talk about,please? I never heard of it & probably might go check it out one day. What the story about Dale Mansion site.? What happened there? Tia.

Pam-Doggirl3

Alabama

Edited by Doggirl3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I am new to this site. I was reading these posts and decided to share my story. About 4 years ago, when I was 17, several of my friends had talked me into going to Dead Children's playground. We were there walking around and me and my friend went to kiss and a force pushed us apart. Then the swings started swinging and we heard laughter. I just stood there frozen and infatuated with the sight, while everyone else was running. After a few munutes, I turned to find them and left. I swear this was one of the most awesome experiences in my life. I have had a second encounter there that I will post later.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I am new to this site. I was reading these posts and decided to share my story. About 4 years ago, when I was 17, several of my friends had talked me into going to Dead Children's playground. We were there walking around and me and my friend went to kiss and a force pushed us apart. Then the swings started swinging and we heard laughter. I just stood there frozen and infatuated with the sight, while everyone else was running. After a few munutes, I turned to find them and left. I swear this was one of the most awesome experiences in my life. I have had a second encounter there that I will post later.

Hey

sorry yall i havent posted in quite a while,well im back

:tu:

arent you glad?

go on lady tell us another story! :rofl:

I think they all went back to MSN chat rooms! :cry:

Went to DCP last night! Me and few ow my freinds tok some video and pictures, will try to link them later once i get a hook up to my computer. It was cool. Here's a run-down of the night

We make it to maple hill cemetery, and start driving through it looking for anything that might lead us to the entrance of the playground, after a few unsuccesful sweeps of the cemetery, we start to leave and one of the gates out is LOCKED. We all panic and floor it around the cemetery (which is huge) looking for a way out. We find one, luckily, and leave, not going back in.

After a few minutes of wandering the perimeter of the cemetery, we find the playground entrance. Up a giant hill you can see a faded yellow gate, one of those you can't drive through but you can step over. Half of our group chickens out, so they drop me a two other people off to go inside, then drive off so the cops don't see a car loitering around. We step over the gate and make our way inside.

Continuing up the hill, we ran into the picnic pavillion first. Steel tables, steel bleacher seats, it seemed pretty modern for something so old and haunted. The tables have all sorts of writing on them "so-and-so loves whats-his-face" "that guy is a ____". I took a picture of them just cause some things were funny, and at first the picture was clear and legiblem but then after a few minutes, an orb showed up in the photo, blocking everything out completely. As we moved forward, we came to a small flight of step that led down to the sand covered playground. there were swings, see-saws, a slide, a merry go round, and some other swings for little children. Not seeing anything happening, me and one of my freinds climbed int he swings and began swinging. As we sat down a cold feeling came over me and Iheard the sound of children giggling. Me and my freind both jumped out of the swings and began to watch them. At first they jumped and jiggled, just like they should when you jump out of them. But then they began to swing back and forth very smoothly, and steadily, And then they began to jolt backwards as if someone was kicking off with therer feet. As i was videoing this, we began hearing giggling and rustling in the woods around us, so we began to leave, but turned and stopped the swings first. As we got back to the picnic tables we looked over the playground one more time and the swings were going again! I got another video and we tore out of there.

So all in all i got two videos, and a picture of a ghost (i believe) so if you don't believe DCP is haunted, think again. I never believed in ghosts before but I do now.

*in walks the so called "friend" who accompanied Shadowsceam to the DCP*

So.. I'm one of these "friends" as we are called and Shadowscream doesn't lie. This place was truely terrifying. It wasn't the children's giggles and the moving leaves that got me though, but it was the swings. We had COMPLETELY stopped them and in the time it took us to was back up the hill..they were going again, in harmony with each other. It was then we decided it was time to leave. This place is definatly worth a visit if you don't believe in ghosts, because now I do. :blink:

I would really like to see those pics and video when you are able to get them posted! I have been trying to get some of my friends to go there with me so I can try and get something myself. Everyone I know has had experiences there!

Okay, soo.. for the record.. I don't advise going to the DCP on a weekend. Trust me. Its not the paranormal activity that is bad there on weekends... its the local life. I advise going on a weekday. Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox now. Byes! :hmm:

Hey all.... Just curious as to whether or not anyone knows any other places in Decatur that is worth checking out? My crew and I are going to investigate a Witches and Warlock graveyard Saturday night but would like to have 1 more to check out too.. :yes::D

Look in shadowlands website they might have some ideas places to check out in Decatur. But make sure you find out who owns the place before checking the places out.

Pam-Doggirl3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! My name is Crystal and I just moved to Huntsville so I can attend Virginia College. I thought I would do a search for hauntings in Huntsville and was very surprised I found some! I come from a small town of 2,000 people so there is nothing there. lol :blink: Here are some places I found I thought I might check out:

Huntsville - The Carter Mansion - is haunted by the ghost of Sally Carter who died a violent death at 16 year old and is buried on the Carter Estate. She has been sited walking the grounds. Some say she is responsible for toppling her headstone on occasion.

Huntsville - Crybaby Hollow - Ghost of a baby wails through the trees on cold nights and will sometimes scratch on the bottoms of cars that park there. Mysterious breathing sounds sometimes heard as well.

Huntsville - Dead Children's Playground (next to Maple Hill Cemetery) - The ghosts of children often are seen swinging in swing sets or sometimes the swings are moving as if someone were in them. The children are seen very late at night or early the next day like from 11:00pm to 3:00am, too late for children to be out.

Huntsville - Hell's Gates (Green Mountain) - There are a set a big black gates that stand about a mile from the bottom of the mountain that guard some huge mansion on this mountain. If you go and sit in front of the gates for a little while a car will come down the mountain and chase you until you get to the bottom and the car will suddenly vanish...its no myth.

Huntsville - Heritage Bible College - WHBC Frat House - Late at night you can hear the Ghost of former youth minister Anthony Stephens walking through the house flushing the toilet. His now deceased brethren Robert Ekisbus and Adam Cooper follow him around making noises that almost sounds like the word "cheese".

Huntsville - Huntsville High School - People have claimed to here foot steps and laughing of teenagers through the halls at night after late softball or basketball practices.

Huntsville - Kent Robertson park - A young boy died there one summer day. They named the park after him and made a memory stone. He still is heard in the park at night and the hunt club-woods behind it.

Huntsville - Maple Hill Cemetery - An old lady passed away and was put in the family burial house. Her family placed her antique rocking chair in the crypt with her because it was a prized possession to her. Most anytime when you stand outside the burial house, you can hear the rocking chair moving back and forth.

Huntsville - Old Dallas Mill Site - The Dallas Mill was built in 1891 and burned down in 1992. Haunted by a man died while cleaning the smoke stacks shortly after the mill was built, and a homeless person who lived there after the mill burned down. People have reported seeing him wandering around the ruins.

Huntsville - Space Camp - Space camp counselors tell the story there about a man who was working on the sleeping quarters at the facility. One day they were using explosives to make large holes in the ground for the below ground quarters. The explosives went off early and he was buried alive by dirt and rubble. Until this day in the halls and in some rooms there they can still here his cries for help echoing through the halls and large moans late at night.

I read a lot of you went to the Dead Children's Playground. My mom and her friend Pat are visiting me this week and I'm going to make sure I tell my mom to bring her camcorder so we can catch some wicked activity. If I do I will make sure to share the video with ya'll. :D

http://theshadowlands.net/places/alabama.htm

Edited by babey17

These are my experiences with Hell's Gates and Owen's Crossroads

Alright, so during the summer, a few friends and myself decided to take a trip to Hell's Gates and Owen's crossroads. The first time we went, we couldn't find the gates, and spent a few hours driving around green mountain. My friends claim they heard a woman screaming, although i personally didn't hear it. We left eventually, after walking around in the woods there and finding nothing but some caution tape and almost getting lost. We decided to come back a week later with someone who had been there before. He had the usual stories of seeing satanists there and being possessed by demons, even having to kill bobcats (which don't live on green mountain, by the way) Needless to say, we were eager to see what would happen. We eventually get to the gates which have things like "jesus saves" spraypainted on them. We wait for the car to chase us down and it never happens. We decide then to get out and walk behind the gates to see the "mansion". We bring 2 knives and a flashlight, just for safety. We walked the trail behind the gate until we got to a clearing. In the clearing, we found an old washer, an old tractor, and some test tubes and baking soda (most likely from meth users) The clearing has some cement and rubble laying around. We walk the path to the upper left of the clearing. We keep walking for a good while and see no mansion, no ghost dogs, nothing out of the ordinary. Dissapointed, we wondered around for a few more minutes and decided to head off to Owen's Crossroads. Owen's Crossroads was just as, if not more, dissapointing. That town is not haunted. We walked the entire town over for at least a few hours. We even walked past the gated off area to the water mill.

Anyways that's my story. If anyone wants to talk on aim, my screen name is IMISSISSIPPIU

Hey im kinda wondering if you might know where the haunted mansions in the historical district might be im lookin for some fun. what do you know anout it? have you been there? I need directions please help! :D

Hey, I'm in the South West corner of Georgia and was wondering if any one here knew of any haunted sites in this area. I know of quite a few but, am always on the lookout for more. Feel free to PM me!

• 3 weeks later...

one race,

their are many cry baby hollows and hollers in alabama and America alone i would like to know where the cry babay hollow in huntsville alabama is at, but please tell me about the cullman cry baby hollowive been to the cry baby holler in hartselle alabama which is like 30min away! :gun:

I have been to cry baby holler in Cullman many, many times. In the early 70's a bunch of us was there almost every Friday night. It would be hard to tell you how to get there, and I've heard that the ghost isn't there any more. They widen the road, paved it and tore up the old bridge and put a knew one there. What I witnessed was not a baby crying but the glowing yellow eyes like a baby crawling. It would only happen at midnight, not once did we go there that we didn't see the eyes. We never knew where they were going to be, so we would have to search all areas until we saw them, they were always moving and they would look at us and then disappear either off the side of the bridge or down the bank. Once they appeared from behind an old tree about 6 feel in front of our car. They came out, looked at us, went across the road (I turned on the headlights and there was nothing there) and disappeared down the bank. It was never a scary thing for us after our first visit because we knew we weren't in any danger. It was so much fun to take new people there, people that didn't believe us, but they always saw the eyes, we would have to point them out to them sometimes, but then they would see them.

• 1 month later...

I am i huge fan of huntsville maybe because their are all kinds of places you can go to scare the goodness out of you and your friends,like:

DCP (dead childrens playground)

old mills

haunted cabins

Haunted railroads

Haunted old mansions in the historical destrict

Haunted plantaions

Haunted barns

Haunted roads

Haunted just about everything everywhere has some kind of HAUNTED HISTORY :w00t: i am open for questions stories and dares to go to these place if i havent allready been!

i would like to know the story about dcp how did it get the name and what haooend to those kids. did someone kill them?

Try this site and see if they got your state on it.

http://theshadowlands.net/ghost/

Here is the state by state listing for this. Took me a minute or two to find it:

http://theshadowlands.net/places/

Here is what it said about where I currently live (Oklahoma City):

Oklahoma City - Belle Isle Station - The Belle Isle Station was demolished in 1999 to but in a shopping center there. But strange occurrences have begun there. The machinery has been acting up and moving by themselves, such as a crane, and power failures have happened. Sometimes at night you can see things in the form of a floating mist moving about. One day as I was going to Penn Square Mall, which is next to the shopping center, I felt a rush of cold air go right past me, but it was in the middle of August which would be about 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Even some of the construction workers complained about come things thinking its kids going there at night.

Oklahoma City - Buy For Less grocery store - The store at 36th and MacArthur is haunted in the bakery. Several years ago a baker was shot and killed there by a jealous boyfriend of a female coworker. The boyfriend mistook the baker for someone else who had been flirting with his girlfriend. At night cold breezes blow through the bakery, moving the swinging doors of the stockroom, though there is no opening or doorway to the outside. Items stored securely on the shelves tumble to the floor. The hair stands up on the back of people's necks as they walk through at night. A stock crew foreman who worked there was a practicing Satanist. Often whenever he was there, a ghost named "Mr. Bojangles" could be seen in the back stockroom. They called him that because he wore top hat, tux, tails, and a cane like a '20s minstrel performer. ***This is right around the corner from me. I plan to go there in a day or two to check this one out.***

Oklahoma City - County Line Barbeque Restaurant - The County Line barbeque restaurant is in a building once occupied by a Prohibition-era dance hall, gambling place and bordello. It was also a popular hangout for outlaw Pretty Boy Floyd who was originally from the Sallisaw area. Various employees have heard strange voices while working late at night, particularly up in the old bordello section, which is now used as attic storage space.

Oklahoma City - Kitchen Lake Bridge - The legend of the bridge past Kitchen Lake is that a very long time ago, a witch lived in a wooden house with a stone chimney right before the intersection of 119 and Air Depot, where Air Depot ends. The house burned down mysteriously and only the fireplace and chimney are left standing. There have been several occurrences of smoke seen coming out of the chimney. If you go about 2 miles down the road, where the road ends at the bridge, there are 10 or 12 separate piles, one of old toys, one of old clothes, one ceiling tiles, one wood, one glass, and several more that you can't see anymore because they have all been burnt to ash. There are things hanging from the trees and animals with heads missing have been seen out there as well. Witnesses report even seeing the different piles smoldering at times. Legend has it the witch died in a fire and her soul still burns anything that is near her property with a vengeance. Even the few scattered houses out there have scorch marks on the roofs. Driving out there, cars tend to not start, headlights often go off, and there is an incredibly eerie feeling surrounding the whole area as if someone is watching you. You can also hear footsteps following directly behind you if you are VERY quiet and when you turn around, there is nothing.

Oklahoma City - former theatre (Name unknown) - Place is said to house several spirits which have been seen by homeless teens who stay there. Now owned by Lryic Theatre

Oklahoma City - Moore - Berg Anatomy - this is a classroom that’s filled with spirits of dead cats that the old witch Berg has killed for "the sake of science" many have said this place is the second home of Satan where he likes to kick it with Ms. Berg.....Some say you can still see ms berg today roaming the anatomy room...when you walk into the room you may smell something awful some say its bergs breath. but beware don’t stay too long or she will give you a failing grade for the rest of your life

Oklahoma City - Mount Saint Mary High School - There is a rumor that years ago a nun hung herself in the convent now some night you can here her walking around upstairs, even though the convent has been closed for years

Oklahoma City - Murah Building - This place was bombed in 1995.Parents of children that are around the age of 3-5, say that when they take their kids take their they get really spooked and start to cry and when they ask what is wrong they say that they see a dead person wondering around the place, but only the gift younger children can see it. ***NOTE*** When I took my daughter to the memorial site (which was built on the actual spot where the former building was), she was too young to talk, but she started to scream and cry, and would not stop until we put her back in the car and drove away from it. I won't take her back there. I can't explain it, but I don't see any reason to go back, just in case.

Oklahoma City - Skirven Hotel - famous for its supposed entities of a former maid and her illegitimate daughter she killed herself and child by jumping out the window. Female guests have reported being unable to sleep due to the consistent cries of an infant. Many men have seen the apparition of a naked woman while showering. Several men have reported being "propositioned" by a female voice. One man even claimed he was sexually assaulted in the middle of night. - July 2005 update: This place has not been used as a hotel in 20 years, although, it is still standing.

Oklahoma City - Young America Corporation - Two employees committed suicide after being terminated, and it is said that you can feel cold spells of air pass by while walking through the lunch area, and also hearing loud noises, such as gunfire, late in the evening.

Oklahoma City - Zoo - In the behind-the-scenes area of the Aquatics building, a ghost of a woman with long hair has been seen at various times, usually at night, by several different people. No one has any idea of who she is or where she came from, much less why she is there.

I also lived in Tennessee (in Memphis) and found some from that area:

This one is not from my direct area (where I grew up), but it is a very famous legend in Tennessee:

Adams - John Bell Farm - The Bell Witch is the horrible spirit caused much trouble and may have killed John. ***NOTE*** Most do not think it is actually a "witch", but rather a spirit or possibly a demon.

Memphis - Auburn Park - If you park your car by the lake in Auburn Park, The Blue Lady is supposed to rise out of the lake and walk towards your car.

Memphis - Egypt Baptist Church - When you drive up to the side, lights are all around. But when you look into the bottom four windows, they are completely black. It is as if there are no light poles. Supposedly an evil presence haunts in those rooms.

Memphis - Fire Church - when you walk up to the church night or day there is nothing there but as you drive past the church you see flames in the back window. This place could be haunted by and evil spirit this will only happen at night during the day you can not see the flames

Memphis - Metal Museum/Army hospital - The Metal museum of Memphis is on part of the grounds of what was the army hospital. This was ground zero for the yellow fever epidemic - and the equivalent of the CDC. Thousands died here. There are many tails of things at night. There is a lot of activity in the morgue building and the doctor’s residence.

Memphis - The lake at Overton Park - according to several witnesses a 35ish year-old lady with a long light blue dress has been seen walking around the lake (usually on the south side) at night...she asks for help with an out stretched arm, but when approached she vanishes. It was reported that the body of a lady with a blue dress had been found near this lake raped and stabbed in the 1960's but its unknown if there is a connection. I saw this woman, but she did not disappear. When I asked about her, I was told this story by a friend of mine.

Memphis - THE HOSPITAL - This old hospital was once a Baptist hospital but then turned into a Veterans hospital. It is said that the people that died in the operating rooms have stayed and personal accounts and pictures tell the story as well. This place has a fence around it but is not owned by anyone. The morgue in the basement is said to be the most haunted place in Memphis. The Hospital is located on Lamar.

Memphis - The Orpheum Theatre - Several definitive accounts of Mary, the ghost of the Orpheum Theatre exist in the archives of Memphis Magazine, in It Happened in Tennessee and in the published history of the Orpheum. The ghost of a little girl, Mary, haunts this theatre. She has a favorite seat during performances. Some people believe that she is the ghost of a girl who died when the original Orpheum burned, but no one was reported to have been killed, and others believe she was killed near the Orpheum on Beale Street. She is not a malicious ghost, actually very shy, and enjoys the playing of the organ (where she has appeared several times).

Memphis - University of Memphis - Old Brister Library - It is said to be a young female college student who was raped and killed in the tower of this old library. The ghost has been seen by many custodians who just recall seeing a student who appear and then vanish. The ghost would also scream help me which at times would very much scare the campus police who would go in the building to inspect the screams. Many students in the past have tried to spend the night in the library and have only heard the screams. - March 2004 Correction:Although there were a couple of rapes, no one was ever murdered. There have, however, been several suicides on campus.

Memphis - University of Memphis - UC bldg - There are reports of a presence in the building which rides the elevator. The elevator is set to automatically return to 2nd or 3rd floor if out of use for a time period. It has opened on the 4th floor or 1st for people to get in when final inspection of building is done at closing. It is believed to be ghost of construction worker who fell from 3rd floor during the building of the student center.

Memphis - Woodruff-Fontaine House - The "Rose Room" is haunted by Molly Woodruff whose bedroom it once was. Her picture is on the wall and she wanders the house, makes a depression in the bedclothes as if she slept there, and there are cold areas. Her most famous appearance was the day the house museum opened in the 1960's when a docent saw a woman in the bedroom who said, "My bed doesn't go there." That was the first of many such stories. Strange odars like cigar smoke have also been in evidence on the house's third floor from an unnamed visitor.

***NOTE*** This information was taken from http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/oklahoma.htm

I & my mother went to the Memorial Gardens cemetery to check on my grandddaddy's grave drove around the cemetery to see if we can see the orange gate & tables that was decribe first by some one on this form and couldn't find DCP either . That cemetary is really huge so it should be easy to to be hidden by the cop I guest. One person here said that there is some little orange gates or something that you have to look for with picnic tables. So good luck in finding DCP. Maybe we will try again too, if some put what the gates are next to or who grave might be a good indication makers toward the gates might be suggested.

I & my mother went to the Memorial Gardens cemetery to check on my grandddaddy's grave, drove around the cemetery to see if we can see the orange gate & tables that was decribe first by some one on this form and couldn't find DCP either . That cemetary is really huge so it should be easy to to be hidden by the cop, I guest. One person here said that there is some little orange gates or something that you have to look for with picnic tables. So good luck in finding DCP. Maybe we will try again too, if some put what the gates are next to or who grave might be a good indication makers toward the gates might be suggested.

I & my mother went to the Memorial Gardens cemetery to check on my grandddaddy's grave, drove around the cemetery to see if we can see the orange gate & tables that was decribe first by some one on this form and couldn't find DCP either . That cemetary is really huge so it should be easy to to be hidden by the cop, I guest. One person here said that there is some little orange gates or something that you have to look for with picnic tables. So good luck in finding DCP. Maybe we will try again too, if some put what the gates are next to or who grave might be a good indication makers toward the gates might be suggested.