Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Hunt for Living Plesiosaurs

Saru

Here's a very interesting new article relating to the discoveries and research of alleged Pleisiosaurs around the world, from the Japanese sea creature carcass, to the famous Loch Ness Monster.

In April 1977, the nets of a Japanese fishing ship snagged a rotting two-ton, 32-foot monster-like carcass off New Zealand which many believed to be a plesiosaur. Professor Yoshinori Imaizumi, of Japan’s National Science Museum remarked, “It’s a reptile, and the sketch looks very much like a plesiosaur. It seems to show that these creatures are not extinct after all.” But in contrast to petrified fossils from 65-plus million years ago, this was a fleshy carcass, sans bones. Tissue samples were taken, and the carcass unceremoniously dumped back into the sea lest it contaminate the mackerel catch. Later, these samples were found to yield the same ratio of the amino-acid tyrosine to other amino acids as does the blue shark’s fin. It seems that shark bodies decompose in such a manner that they come to resemble a monstrous plesiosaur, and this sort of subsequent-mistaken identity has occurred on many occasions.

The entire article can be read by clicking here :

http://www.fatemag.com/article.phtml?id=241

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Homer

• SpaceyKC

• Magikman

• PurpleStuart

That kind of makes you wonder what else is living in the deep waters of the oceans and other mass bodies of water.  Perhaps, not only with a single situation, but perhaps there a dozens of others simular creatures that have existed for far longer than humans, but have thought to have died out.

Just a thought...

FarvMLarion

[blue]

Here's a thought: I have heard that woolly mammoths have been discovered frozen in ice and preserved well. I wonder if there are specimens of sea creatures frozen into the ice caps etc and preserved, only to be dumped back into the sea as the ice melts. Then they would decompose in the warmth and float around...

image[/blue]

Just to add what Farv said, the oceans are so vast, in terms of area and depth, I think there could be, and ARE, many different creatures yet to be discovered and previously discovered creatures thought to be extict. The discovery of the Giant Squid not too long ago I think adds credibility to that assumption.

Homer  :sj

Yeah they are finding new species all the time though most of them are on the small side. As Homer says the Squids are the most interesting new species they have found recently.

.....hmm yeah, interesting theory there.....and of course, (not related to sea creatures I know) but don't they say that there are something like 1,000's of yet to be discovered species of life within the rain forests....

That's interesting. Isn't that how one of the "ice-man" subjects was discovered, having emerged from thawing ice? Or was that the wooly mammoth? Either way, that seems to be an entirely feasible line o' logic.

What about giant squid? Have we found any living ones? Just dead, decomposing flesh, right? Who is to say that they haven't just thawed out and washed away, landing on British beaches or wherever it happens to be...

-Steven

Crow,

Speaking of the rain forests, the newly (June 1996) identified monkey (mico anão/dwarf cebus), no bigger than a squirrel, is the sixth primate species discovered by scientists in Brazil betweeen 1990-1996.

[glow=red,2,300]Homer :sj

Giant squid have only been found in decomposing flavour so far. but there is a thread here abouts on a new species of squid just discovered which are quite large...  

Where is this mysterious thread?

-Test Bear

PS Has anyone else had typing problems on the board lately? My kbard has been fine but in these little boxes it acts like molasses has been spewed in the little cracks....

Test Bear

Here is the thread  http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=crypt;action=display;num=990642329   Most of the thread discusses Giant Anacondas, but there is part of it that talks about the Giant Squid.

And I haven't experienced any technical difficulties.

[glow=blue,2,300]Homer :sj

TestBear,

I've also encountered a problem since the forum upgrade, and is probably related to the fact that I use an older version of Internet Explorer (4.0) for my browser. You may want to check your version. Another thing for you to check would be your connection speed (are you using a dialup modem? 56k? 36k?), which might be causing the problem. There might also a bandwidth problem with your ISP during peak periods. (Lord, do I sound like a computer geek, or what?)  :s04 Anyway, hope this helps.  :-/

Magikman  :sg

my keyboard is fine and i have a 56k modem but i also have IE 5.0.

Maybe you should d/l the latest IE which is IE 6. It's about 20Mb so if you have a fast connection you can d/l it or just leave it on all day if you have a slow connection.

i used to have IE 6 (before i fomatted my computer) and it has a few bugs but it has a new feature that you can report the errors to microsoft so they can fix it

Now i'm starting to sound to sound like some of my friends - who are computer geeks

I think you both sound like geeks :s2   No offense, it's just that I'm so clueless on the technical aspects of computers :P

I wish I was a computer geek!!  Then I would understand what you all are talking about.  You've heard about 'MURPHY'S LAW'?  That was written for me!

I can't wait to set up the new chat room!!  NOT!!!  :s9

It may take from now until Wednesday,  but I'll figure it out (I will keep repeating this,  like a mantra)  ;D

KC

Here's another bet for you Tommy. Who will figure it out first, Nora or me? Because I don't get it either. I won't make any Wednesday chats, which gives me plenty of time to be ready by Sunday. :P

[glow=blue,2,300]Homer :sj

:s9

Computer geeks and such, at times it almost sounds as if being a computer geek, or 'nerd' is a bad thing.  But then again, what is bad about it.  I guess that this topic could turn into a mass dicussion about society and other meaningless topics and conversations.

:s3

Hmmm, perhaps I'm rambling, so...

Farv Michael Larion

Homer,

That's not fair!  Taking til Sunday...didn't I say that first?    :-/

Anyway,  I think today I was on the right street,  maybe the right building,  but darned (see, no potty mouth this time) if I can find the right room!!  I was this close   :sd.  

OKAY EVERYBODY!!

I just went into a room (I have NO IDEA where!)  but there was no one there...unless you guys were hiding!!  I could have sworn I heard a snicker :s8

Very funny,  Magik!  Or was that you,  Tommy?  You put all your money on Homer?? :s01  AAAHH!  It's a conspiracy!!!  

Hey Tommy,  don't worry,  it's still early!!! :D

Nora,

If you're using the unexplainedmirc.exe or unexplainedmirc.zip version of the program then you are definately on the right server - because I took all the other servers off the list to avoid confusion.  ;D

The room you are looking for is #unexplained - you will be able to tell when you get there because the topic will be something like "Unexplained Live Chat Sundays & Wednesdays 8PM GMT".

You can reach the room either by typing /join #unexplained in the text prompt at the bottom of the screen, or by clicking on it in the channels list box that comes up as soon as you've connected.

:sk

SaRuMaN!

Again,  thank you,  thank you,  thank you!  I finally made it didn't I?  Wow,  what a trip into cyberspace! (see,  spelled it right this time Dalia! ;D)  

Since I've taken up this subject space with so much of my ****,  I thought the least I could do was bring it back to the subject it's titled for!  Like the giant squid,  I saw there was going to be a special on them and other mysterious creatures on Discovery.   Alas,  I didn't catch the date or time,  but I'm fairly certain it's in March.  I hope it's not a repeat!   :s9