Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

See Cats That Aren't There

Silly_Sister

Hi All,

I'm new... stumbled upon this site when I searched for "hearing voices before falling asleep" and found the thread about knocking noises, voices, etc. right before falling asleep -- glad I'm not the only one wink2.gif

However, there's another search that I've been doing and haven't come up with anything yet. It's about seeing a cat(s) out of the *corner of your eye* when there is not one there.

I've been told that this can be a psychologic problem, but was wondering if perhaps since cats are associated with magic, etc., if there is any folklore out there about seeing cats that aren't really there.

I would love to hear any and all thoughts!

cat.gif

• Like 3

Well, black cats are considered bad luck and are usually associated with black magic and things like that. But (hopefully) you aren't being stalked by magical witch cats. ph34r.gif

Just a quick question. Do you have any kind of ailurophobia? (fear of cats)

Well either you have a problem, there is a conspiracy, or someone gave the cats rollerskates.

Go to your doctors maybe, or oil the floor.

It could also just be an overactive imagination.

i see things move in the corner of my eye. curtains, light even bugs and stationary specks of paint.

Just a quick question.  Do you have any kind of ailurophobia? (fear of cats)

737194[/snapback]

Good question! But it's not me who is seeing the cats! The person who is seeing them loves cats. Also, her friend sees them as well and is the person who told my sister that seeing cats "that aren't there out of the corner of your eye" is a common occurence among *some* people. I'm curious as to who those people are and what significance *seeing cats out of your periferal vision* might have.

The other subject we were on is the one I listed above about hearing voices/noises right before falling asleep. And that's how I found this board.

Has anyone heard of *seeing cats* before??

I belive there was something about it on Animal X years back. The show was dedicated to "ghost animals." It freaked the crap outta me.

Ahh, the memories. I think I'll share a story with you, Silly Sister.

I was a sophomore in High School at Chattanooga Christian. I was dating a freshman at the time. She had a pet cat named Tigger, whom she adored. She had Tigger for five years until one night Tigger drowned in her basement when the creek behind her house overflowed. As you can imagine, she was devestated. She stopped calling me and we didn't talk much at school.

A month later, while still sad over Tigger's death, my girlfriend was much better. One day I was sitting at my house, watching T.V., like all teenage boys do. My phone started ringing, and my parents and brothers being out of the house, I was the one to answer it. It was my girlfriend, and she was crying. She attempted to talk to me between the sobs. The conversation went a little like this:

"Michael! Michael please come get me!"

"Why? What's wrong? What's happened?"

"Just hurry up and come get me I can't stay in this house!"

"Heather, what's the matter, what's wrong?"

"Oh my God... It's Tigger... It's Tigger, Michael!"

"What do you mean it's Tigger?"

"Just hurry up and come get me!"

click

She hung up the phone. Naturally I was very concerned about her and stole my dad's car ( devil.gif ) and drove over to her house. She was sitting on her porch, crying. When she saw me, she ran over to the car and hopped in.

When we reached my house she had calmed down enough to tell me what had happened. She had been sitting on her couch reading a book, when out of the corner of her eye she saw a cat sitting by the door to the bathroom. She looked up and saw it was Tigger. He was staring at her. She screamed and Tigger's ghost ran across the carpet and into the kitchen, where he vanished. She then proceeded to freak out and call me.

I am convinced what my girlfriend saw was real because I don't believe I had ever seen her that scared. She was genuinly frightened out of her mind. After that incident we never talked about it. I once mentioned it and she just nodded and said "Yes. That was a long time ago." She then steered the conversation in another direction.

I hope your friend isn't this freaked out about seeing cats out of the corner of her eye. ph34r.gif

I've never heard anything of the like but it could also be a hallucination or a ghost. I happen to believe in ghosts but not blindly and almost every case is fake or outrageous. It's most likely a hallucination or you never saw it if you saw it out of the corner of your eye or something like that.

I've never heard anything of the like but it could also be a hallucination or a ghost. I happen to believe in ghosts but not blindly and almost every case is fake or outrageous. It's most likely a hallucination or you never saw it if you saw it out of the corner of your eye or something like that.

737782[/snapback]

Good answer. Most likely it is just one of those little things you see out of the corner of your eye all the time but isn't there.

Allow me to ellaborate.

i see things move in the corner of my eye. curtains, light even bugs and stationary specks of paint.

We all see little things out of the corners of our eyes. It's just natural. We see something in our peripheral vision, our brain doesn't know what to make of it, so it can be anything, really.

But why does your friend see cats most of the time instead of bugs, specks of paint, etc? You stated the answer yourself.

The person who is seeing them loves cats.

Like I said, our brain doesn't really know what to make of things, so we can percieve them as anything. But your sister happens to love cats, so her brain, above all, wants to see cats out of the corner of her eye. So the little things that she sees, or things that may not be there at all, are percieved as cats.

I hope this has helped to answer your question, Silly Sister. original.gif

I have heard of people seeing alot of things but never a cat, hmm.gif Un less you were a witch in a post life, i would go see my doctor! good luck. dontgetit.gif

You know, I can beleive it. There can be something very mysterious about cats... there are quite a few stories about people seeing the doppleganger of their own cat, either a ghost like eveningsky's story, or even letting it out and then going back in and finding it asleep on the bed... or seeing cats that they don't own and no one's ever seen before sitting there in the house as if they own the place, then disappearing as mysteriously as it came... cats can definitely be spooky sometimes.

Welcome to UM, Silly_Sister, and thanks for not claiming that you have physcic powers. original.gif

• Like 2

the specks of paint fly around and land where they are like a fly. it deffienetly isnt a fly.

Sometimes when I look around quickly or spin when I am turning to go down another set of stairs, I see a silvery streak.

Probably an optical illusion or something.

does anyone else see those specks or streaks which all fall below your eyes? i see them every day. what are they?

happens all the time. sometimes when i move my head quickly. sometimes when its stationary. they just seem to float down my eyes, but i cant focus on them.

I know what you mean Iv turned seen girls and babies walk around my room then when I look back their gone. Iv even seen a man hanging from my bed but at that time I didnt look away. He turned and looked at me. Ii couldnt take it I closed my eyes. when I opened them he was gone

I still remember the blood going down the black suit and the petals floating from his pale white carcass

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

I'm new... stumbled upon this site when I searched for "hearing voices before falling asleep" and found the thread about knocking noises, voices, etc. right before falling asleep -- glad I'm not the only one ;)

However, there's another search that I've been doing and haven't come up with anything yet. It's about seeing a cat(s) out of the *corner of your eye* when there is not one there.

I've been told that this can be a psychologic problem, but was wondering if perhaps since cats are associated with magic, etc., if there is any folklore out there about seeing cats that aren't really there.

:cat:

Hi All,

I'm new... stumbled upon this site when I searched for "hearing voices before falling asleep" and found the thread about knocking noises, voices, etc. right before falling asleep -- glad I'm not the only one ;)

:cat:

If you are still on this site, I would like to chat with you. I have been followed by imaginary cats for several years, the latest incident was so real I almost fell from my chair. I glanced from the corner of my ege and saw this light colored cat looking straight at me. There were three people in my kitchen and no one else saw it. I felt its presence before I saw it but, when I turned my head, it disappeared.

I have searched everywhere for answers but no one seems to have ever experienced this. Therefore, when I saw your message it was validity that this do exist, but what is it?

Please reply.

happens all the time. sometimes when i move my head quickly. sometimes when its stationary. they just seem to float down my eyes, but i cant focus on them.

Yeah, I have those.. I often make the mistake of trying to catch them, and running into things....

I dunno, is this cat-lover sick? I've been awful for the past few days, and I was hallucinating one night.

My best friend claims to see ghosts of cats. Even claims to see her old cat that died 3 years ago...

It's called a "floater." It's an artifact between your inner eye and cornea. Always with you, very tiny.

• Like 1

I had a peroid when I would often see something long and white disappear behind a chair or around a corner when I turned around quickly, I thought it looked a little like a tail or something, but not really cat-like. Anywho, I see them pretty rarely anymore, so either it was my eyes playing tricks on me, they got tired of following me, or they just got more stealthy than before :ph34r: