Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Druids, Magic & Pagans

The Raven

After a recent spark of renewed interest, I have decided to first ask the folks at UM before I waste any money on knowledge that comes from more places than websites.

I am interested in hearing anything and everything you know about Druids, Magic, and Pagan religions. Doesn't matter if it's been said a thousand times, it's still good information.

I am also interested in hearing personal stories dealing with any of these factors. Please only post in this if you actually know something about it, and are not going to post something like "Druids are the devil's followers"

I just want to have a worthwhile discussion for once.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• The Raven

• Grandpa Greenman

• Tornado

I wish I knew how to word it.. but I think everything I've said in the past about my damneddirtytreehugginghippiepagan beliefs is enough.

I refuse to be labled "New Age" or "Neo Pagan" since what I believe in is older then human recolection will ever know.

I am interested in hearing anything and everything you know about Druids, Magic, and Pagan religions.

I heard they are relics from the past.

but I think everything I've said in the past about my damneddirtytreehugginghippiepagan beliefs is enough.

You sell yourself short dear lady, I find your beliefs quite refreshing after the Hell and Damnation offered up by so many on this forum. I have had quite a few friends (especially when I lived in East Anglia) that were Druids, Wiccans, and Pagans of other stripes (knew some Greek Pagans when I lived in Athens). I found that their belief system was a much more friendly and natural way of viewing the creation that the Creator (or Gods and Goddesses) gave us. Mankind is basically good, a fact that Pagans recognize, and following the morals and beliefs of the Pagan systems is as effective (if not more so) than that of the mainline major religions (with the possible exception of true Buddhism) yes.gif

Having just read "To Ride a Silver Broomstick" (or something like that), I was surprised at how closely witchcraft intersects with the major monotheistic religions. For those that worship a god or goddess, you do rituals to honor them, seek their aid, commune with them. Rituals and spells could be akin to Christian prayer, just with more elaboration.

I'm not talking about a specific Christian sect (ie Roman Catholicism etc.), just in general. Paganism or Witchcraft seems a very tiring religion, and I don't quite see how you have much time to do anything else besides study and do rituals. The premise is good, but I also think the premise of Christianity is good.

'To ride a silver broomstick' would follow a lot of wicca....which is basically a newer believe that follows a rede and has things such as circles and such, they may follow one god or goddess basically because a lot of the followers of this are christian or other religion converts that aren't necessarily ready to let go of old ideas, some only stay for a time others longer. But some people who follow the older ways may follow multiple or no gods.....it's up to what the person wants feels whether they cast or do constant rituals is a personal choice among each follower/believer

The druids were called the people of the oak. Unfortunately any language and writings were done on bark and leaves. Which doesn’t preserve well, that is why we know so little about them. Most is speculation based on stories from Bards of the middle ages.

Many have claimed they understand the magic of the Druids but have no way to back up their claims so most is myth and legends.

Irish

'To ride a silver broomstick' would follow a lot of wicca....which is basically a newer believe that follows a rede and has things such as circles and such, they may follow one god or goddess basically because a lot of the followers of this are christian or other religion converts that aren't necessarily ready to let go of old ideas, some only stay for a time others longer. But some people who follow the older ways may follow multiple or no gods.....it's up to what the person wants feels whether they cast or do constant rituals is a personal choice among each follower/believer

742153[/snapback]

Thanks bacca. The books was not to explanatory on which 'branch' of religion it was talking about. All I took from it was... way too many rituals, and some of them sounded like they had no purpose. It was like Roman Catholicism (with a different god/dess) for Environmentalists or something.

A good book for basics that will give you some wiccan info and god/goddess info would be something like 'solitary witch, book of shadows' it is written buy the same author as the to ride a silver broomstick. I have a copy and although I don't really follow what that book teaches it's a good one for basics at least in my opinion. Then start looking in more places and talking to different people and following what you believe is right, you should learn to listen to yourself and to follow what nature tells you.....well anyway hope that is something for you...there are pagans on here that are much better at explaining things then me since I can't exactly fall into any one category thumbsup.gif

I'm pretty much on the path for me already, but I am always eager to learn about other philosophies/religions. I tend to think that going back to the source - the earliest ideas etc. and am not too interested in 'new' religions.

Sorry for straying a bit from the topic.

The druids were called the people of the oak. Unfortunately any language and writings were done on bark and leaves. Which doesn’t preserve well, that is why we know so little about them. Most is speculation based on stories from Bards of the middle ages.

Many have claimed they understand the magic of the Druids but have no way to back up their claims so most is myth and legends.

Irish

742181[/snapback]

And that's why there are so many misconceptions and whatnot about them.

*grins* ANd Mako... as refreshing as it is... X) I'm still just a damneddirtytreehugginghippiepagan

It's not selling myself short.. it's reveling in the title!

Yeah SC, but I bet you wash up pretty.

original.gif

*dies laughing*

Well, when the student is ready the teacher will appear. When you say druids, pagans and ... what exactly you looking for? at? into?

I regret that I have been involved with magic and 'the Circle' before, taking the element of 'fire'. I've talked briefly about the after effects on here a few times. Here's some advice from someone who has been there. Don't do it..

I'd disagree ashley don't do that god/church thing to much make believe fairy tale stuff that'll just get you a good tan after your dead grin2.gif

I regret that I have been involved with magic and 'the Circle' before, taking the element of 'fire'. I've talked briefly about the after effects on here a few times. Here's some advice from someone who has been there. Don't do it..

743798[/snapback]

*shrugs*

Do it if you wish to... nothing harm nothing foul. Having been involved with magics (albeit not spell casting but there are other forms) for over 20 years and have lived a rather normal (aaaaaahaha) life...

It's all in how the magics are used. As I was reminded yesterday... Karam will catch you.

743798[/snapback]

Hahaha. Don't worry Ashley, I'm not planning on it, nor am I planning on going to church. I just like to study. Something I would worship or revere though, is nature. Why would anyone worship or revere nature? Because it's beatiful, it's powerful, it's almost perfectly balanced, it's our mother and father, and it's what sustains our lives. Because it is all of those, I challenge any to name a force greater.

Thank you for all your posts, and I hope to keep them coming, because I do wish to know more. [Too bad Druidus doesn't seem to be on often]. I was just wondering if anyone could share any experiences, or any knowledge, incase the opening post was confusing. Just an oddball thread that strays away from the norm in this section.

Edited by The Raven

SC,

I didn't use it for malicious means, I took Karma into account, but for me even that in itself had cnsequences.

Raven,

Study is good, I myself study both sides, because without understanding you are a victim of your own fear. Nature was part of this 'Circle' and the calling up of a supposedly intermediary spirit (or angel) which wasn't so intermediary....

From what I understand Druids are part of nature and everything about them is about nature and the trees. For me, it makes sense..it fits.It's what I have always been.

Paganism, Druids, The Craft are all faiths that require study. Not from one book or about one book, but from many disciplines; science, physics, metaphysics, ancient history, Myth, theology of all religions, and archaeology. It is not for the faint of heart. It is an experience religion. I have learned as much or more from talking to the trees as I have from books. When you embark on this Path you are in search of the true nature of the universe. Magic is just a small part of it. I only cast spells when people are in true need of help. I do not take them lightly.

I think Ashley; you fear what you don't understand. To say 'don't do it' closes one off to a part of life that is filled with wonder and mystery.

I have walked in the spirit world (or either world or alternate dimension) and found great joy and knowledge as well as things to fear. You can learn to protect yourself harm.

If you want to learn about Pagan religions in general I recommend "Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America Today" by Margot Adler.

I believe in holistic remedies, organic farming and basically, natural Earth power.

When I 'pray', I pray to Mother Earth and ask that she be blessed and send her blessings back to those I love wub.gif and all others to wink2.gif

I follow the saying: Mother Earth leave everything a little better than you found it.

It is depressing that the 'current' world does not seem to appreciate Mother Earth, polluting her and destroying her. I don't want to be hypocritical either because sometimes I don't do all I should (yes, I eat at McDonalds, sometimes) and for this I pray that I will grow to do more (stop eating at McDonalds happy.gif ). Simple things matter like taking time to notice butterflies or planting flowers and trees. Also, loving the things that appear ugly, like this strange yucky stuff that was left over from the Ash tree that the city removed because of disease (for all I care they could have left it in my yard laugh.gif ). I also believe in speaking, clearly and poetically (not that everyone has to do this it is something I like to do, along with writing wub.gif ).I always try to remember that all of my words vibrate into the ethers forever, somewhere. A little thing I do when I say something I shouldn't have, I say cancel.

I have not studied to much in the areas you mention, it is something that comes naturally to me, along with Native American traditions original.gif . The Earth has and will always be here, I pray. wub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

And yes I know I get way to sappy, sometimes tongue.gif and lately I have become more paranoid, I've got to stay out of the conspiracy forums w00t.gif

in Light and Love to ALL, Me_Again

Ashley, Just because the craft did not work for yourself, doesn’t mean others should not do it, if you go into anything with the wrong attitude it can bite you on the ass, you seem to have a more of a "Buffy the vampire slayer" attitude on the craft, than the nature worship side. Christianity doesn’t work for some people, and can have devastating effects on peoples lives, does that mean that people should not practice Christianity and dont do it! ? NO!!!

Magic is about thought, and of the power of the mind, and your minds connection to the spirit mind of god and goddess, and the nature of the spiritual universe. Your results will mirror what is in your heart and mind, you have to enter the craft with a pure heart and positive mind, otherwise problems can evolve. Craft work is about manifesting our thoughts and emotions into our every day lives, if your thoughts are negative then negative things will manifest.

The raven

To Ride a Silver Broomstick is not the best book to read in my opinion, if you want to learn about the craft, as its more for teenagers, and fad seekers, than anything else, I am not personally a fan of Silver RavenWolf's books, it seems very media influenced, and not really in depth, aimed at those that love shows like charmed ect.

I would suggest books by Rae Beth, who really gets down to the nature worship side of it. Also Teresa Moorey, D.J Conway and Vivianne Crowley are all great and wise authors that I highly recommend.

Good luck in your learning.

Irish, you might be right to some extent about druid knowledge being lost due to what they where stored on, but much of what druids knew they pasted down through the generations through there memory, (hence why some would have to train for over 40 years to become a druid) such as with many other pagan types. Most of the documentation was burnt and destroyed when the later church tried to wipe out any knowledge or trace of the old religions.

All the best

Faeden

Edited by Faeden

No no no Faeden, you quite miss the point. It DID work, that's the point, but in rather malevolant ways.

I joined a druidic order many years ago. It only last a few months before I felt very disillusioned.

I enjoyed back then the teachings, but like anything - people are corruptible.

This group of people were always trying to prove who was the better druid.

Turned into bull**** for me.

Anyway - wild times!

Cheers