Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Knockers

emmy

In many old established mining areas throughout the world, there was a long tradition of mine spirits, in Cornwall these were known as the Knockers. They frequented the tin mines that formed much of local economy in 18th and 19th century Cornwall. Knockers was not the only name given to mine spirits others being Knackers, Buccas, and Spriggans to name a few. As well as the mines, the knockers were thought to haunt some wells and other natural features, which along with the other names for them, suggests a wider use of the term to describe supernatural creatures.

According to descriptions, the Knockers took the form of small thin-limbed entities with large hooked noses. They inhabited the deepest darkest parts of the mine, and could sometimes be heard knocking and working their own lodes in the darkness. No doubt that any distant creak or rock fall would be amplified in the claustrophobic darkness of the mines. It is no wonder spirits were thought to inhabit these dangerous work places, where thoughts of the supernatural could cause an instant shiver down the spine.

The Knockers generally kept to their own company and were thought to be benevolent, knocking at the richest of the lodes and showing themselves only to those that they favoured.

But as with all fairies they needed to be treated with respect, whistling could offend them, as could intentional spying on their activity, and making the sign of the cross. To appease them they were left small offerings of food or tallow, in the more remote parts of the mines, failure to do this could cause repercussions such as bad luck. Strange tricks were often played on those who offended them, and a miner could find himself led to dangerous places in the mine.

There were a few musings as to the origin of the Knockers, some thought they were the ghosts of Jews who were working the mines in penance. Another theory suggests they were the spirits of souls who could not gain access to heaven or hell, this is also used as an explanation for wider manifestations of fairies. The fact that Knockers were also thought to haunt other recesses and wells, suggests the name became mixed in some quarters to describe several types of fairy.

Belief and sightings of Knockers has died with tin mining industry, although they are still thought to reside in the dark un-worked tunnels in some quarters, now free from human interaction.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• emmy

• Althalus

• Bizarro

• Aslan

Cracking name for the thread, emmy. I was straight to it like a rat up a drainpipe. That little 'views' counter will be in the hundreds by days end, if I'm any judge of people.*

(*male people)

Hey Is that like the Tommyknockers? Seema like I heard somewhere that that legend was the inspiration for the stephen king novel of the same name....

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to remember looking up something like this a while back.

They called it a phantom...and how they knocked on the windows to scare people.

Never heard knockers as a term yet...

Hey Is that like the Tommyknockers? Seema like I heard somewhere that that legend was the inspiration for the stephen king novel of the same name....

I heard the same thing.

Like the Nockers from Changling? *laughs* Or knockers, like... errrr... *grins* thumbsup.gif

• 4 months later...

tommy knockers are often confused with german kobalds....they like to be given gifts but like the gift giver to set out the gift for them to find or hide it in a place they would stumble across....thier favorite gift is a pan of sugar-milk....they refuse ot be seen or the gifts brought to them....easily offended....if these gifts please them, they may lead the gift giver/miner to "the old motherlode"

this topic willl get more people talking about breasts than a confused baby at a topless joint.

Edited by man_in_mudboots