Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Lechuza

reyz2006

Whenever i go down to texas to visit my family we always talk about the lechuza. It is an old folklore about an evil witch who turns into a giant black bird. Some people say that it has the face of a creepy old woman. It is pretty well known down by the border. My mom said she has seen it and my dad also, but i always tell them i dont believe it until i see it. blink.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sweet_butterfly

• Grandpa Greenman

• Jeenuh

• Columbo

Sounds like a variation of the harpy legend to me.

It would be interesting to learn more about that creature on this thread.

wow!...nice storyB] thumbsup.gif

I can say something about this, I used to live in a little town near the mountains in mexico, I remember my mom telling me about this lady that was a witch and would turn into a "lechuza", this lady was around 60 or 70 years old, had done some "brujeria" to my grandma and my grandma's hair and eyebrows were gone, the thing is that the guys around the town wanted to kill the "lechuza" or at least hurt it to see if it was this lady, so one night when they came from partying they had their guns and they saw "it", they started shooting at it until one of the guys got her, on one of the legs. They waited for the next day, but didin't see her until 2 days passed, well let me tell ya, she couldn't walk, she had to use a caine to walk.....what do you think of that, if you want more of this story just ask, lol

Reminds me of the one with the cat, interesting though. THUNDERBIRD! original.gif

Sounds exactly like a character in an anime called Spirited Away. I looked for an image of it but all I could find was what she looks like before she changes:

http://www.ithaca.edu/students/adesimo1/im...20away%2002.jpg

This lady turns into a big black bird but keeps her ugly old lady head. Perhaps they based this character off of this lechuza?

My family is also from mexico (chihuahua) and this story is very common over there. Its not really that its just one particular person/witch that does this its any of the witches have the ability to turn into these birds. I have never seen one myself but my older sister which is a skeptic saw one a few years ago when she went back to visit family. They were swimming at a local pond and they saw this bird watching them from afar so they started getting freaked out and decided to go back home. Well the bird followed them all the way home while they were driving and didnt leave the front of the house till early morning. Supposedly my uncles have shot some of these birds before and the next morning old ladies have appeared dead with gunshot wounds!! i have also heard they can turn into balls of fire which can be seen dancing around in the mountainside. Dont know if any of its true but they sure make interesting stories. My mother says there real so they must be j/k .... i always thought they were just stories but you never know!!!

sweet butterfly what part of mexico are you from?

..., so one night when they came from partying they had their guns and they saw "it",...

757994[/snapback]

That must have been one wild party. I have had homemade tequila from Mexico, and man that stuff will make you make you trip like LSD. Ya I want to here the rest of the story. Really I do. original.gif

well let me see, hmm ah yes, this lady (here goes description) was bald well almost, she only had hair around her head like if it was thinning, she had a hunchback and was short, anyways I was afraid of her, and since it was a small town everybody knew everybody if you know what I mean, on with the story this lady was really creepy looking, I would ask mysef how can she go into church? being a witch and all, she would never miss mass, people say she went to laugh at god, I don't know really, but she was frieky, I would try not to see her in the eyes, anyways, Was it the story about how she bewitched my grandma? that you wanted to read? well if it wasn't tell me, lol

This lady used to like my grandpa, (that was a really long time ago when they were young) anywho she knew that he was married to my grandma and thought that if she did what she did to her, my granpa would leave her, being with no hair and no eyebrows, my grandma couldn't see, my grandpa didin't leave my grandma then, he took her to another witch (a good one) and asked her what was happening to my grandma, she said that a "bruja" was doing this to her and that she was doing this because she loved him and wanted to be with him. I don't know if you've heard that if a good witch tell the name of the bewitcher she dies?

well anyways she didin't say the name of the lady but they kinda had an idea of who she was. Of course they were scared of her so they didin't do a thing to her.

But the good witch gave my grandma some "medicine" so she could get cured, it took a long time but she got better, let me say that they had taken her to the doc and the doctor could not find what was wrong with her.....

I'm with ya sweet butterfly. I was also born in the US but I'm more Mexican then American. I guess thats becuase even though I live in the USA I was brought up in the Mexican culture. thank goodness original.gif

Thats an interesting story there are so many similiar stories throughout Mexico I cant see how so many people would all be lying about the same thing. Thats why i tend to believe most of the supernatural stories that i hear.

Sounds exactly like a character in an anime called Spirited Away. I looked for an image of it but all I could find was what she looks like before she changes:

This lady turns into a big black bird but keeps her ugly old lady head. Perhaps they based this character off of this lechuza?

759329[/snapback]

Woah, I never thought of that but you're right.

<3 that movie.

759329[/snapback]

Well this lady didin't keep her human head she changed it, and maybe they did base the story on this particular bird, but changed it a bit happy.gif

Edited by sweet_butterfly

I live in Mexico and the lechuza is well known. It is actually a bird and I have seen them cross the moon at night and they are surprisingly large. I am sure that is why the conversion to a witch tale originated. I live in a rather small town and there is a real fear of the lechuza at night.

I live in Mexico and the lechuza is well known.  It is actually a bird and I have seen them cross the moon at night and they are surprisingly large.  I am sure that is why the conversion to a witch tale originated.  I live in a rather small town and there is a real fear of the lechuza at night.

767451[/snapback]

unsure.gif I think the fear of the lechiza is in all small towns, because when we used to live there I wouldn't go out after dark no.gif

• 3 weeks later...

In Lechuza the spanish name for the Owl?...at least in Argentina it is...

Edited by Mekorig

In Lechuza the spanish name for the Owl?...at least in Argentina it is...

802931[/snapback]

My people, the Nanticoke, have legends that tell of witchs who turn into owls. We call them Goo'koos though. The Apache Bruja are supposed to turn themselves into owls according to legend too.

lapi'che ni'tis

• 5 weeks later...

I'll tell you guys something I am mexican and I believe that mexico is one of the places with a lot of supernatural events going on in the world. You always hear about witches, ghosts, and even about the devil himself appearing in a lot of places.

• 1 year later...
I'll tell you guys something I am mexican and I believe that mexico is one of the places with a lot of supernatural events going on in the world. You always hear about witches, ghosts, and even about the devil himself appearing in a lot of places.

I agree

• 2 years later...

i work at a daycare and there's this song we sing to the kids to get them quiet and it mentions la lechuza

i asked my mom what it was and she said it was some kind of bird. im puerto rican so we don't really know much about

the story behind it and i wasn't really interested in it until i sang it to my boyfriend one day, who is mexcian

and he was like how do know about the lechuza and then he told me more in depth about it.

i just want to know if anyone else has heard about the song also

and if they can sort of tell me what it really means... it goes

la lechuza, la lechuza

que hace shhh, que hace shhh

todos calladitos como la lechuza

que hace shhh, que hace shhh