Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kingstie

mr_halo

"There are several accounts of varied descriptions going back two hundred years and probably longer.

During the fur trade a ‘great snake’ was spotted in the water forcing the unexpected return of a boat from Toronto (York) bound for the Niagara area. Described as 30ft long by witnesses who swore an oath before a magistrate.

On July 3rd, 1817 the crew of a ship witnessed the appearance of a blackish snake-like monster “one foot in diameter and 30 – 40 ft in length” approx three miles offshore.

Two children stated that they saw a “20 – 30 ft.” snake-like creature near Grantham on August 5th, 1829. Their experience was recounted in a local paper, which went on to state that “this wasn’t the first sighting in Lake Ontario and, doubtless, that such serpents lived in the lake.”

In 1968 a Scarborough resident saw a 20ft eel-like creature with a “mane of some sort” in the waters off Toronto.

Kingstie is a name given by some to creature sightings in the Kingston area or eastern portion of the lake. Over the years many extraordinary sightings have been witnessed in this general location.

An early mass sighting occurred in September 1881. Passengers and crew of the steamship ‘Gypsy’ saw a creature approx. 25 – 40ft in length with small legs and a large tail.

In the channel between Wolfe and Simcoe islands two sailors reported seeing a serpent creature during the summer of 1888.

In July 1892 a couple was reportedly “attacked by a huge serpent with eyes like balls of fire” near Brackey’s Bay. The husband fended off the monster with his fishing pole.

Two physicians spotted a 30ft creature described as having “one eye in the middle of his head as well two antler-like horns” as they sailed from Alexandria Bay to Kingston’s yacht club in August 1931.

During the 1970’s an employee of the Ministry of Natural Resources twice witnessed “a large creature dive into the lake from the shores of Prince Edward County."

anyone know anymore about this creature?, there seems to be quite a few sightings to back up the story yes.gif

innocent.gif

Edited by mr_halo

• 7 months later...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scuba0095

• Agent. Mulder

• The Mule

• zandel

hey mr halo do you know where i can read up more about this story? The crazy thing is i live right on the water EXACTLY where this monster is seen lol i can see the islands from my house and also see alexandria bay but to be honest I have never seen any monster. Growing up i did see wierd creature in the lake swimming but even back then i was smart enough to put 2 and 2 together and figure it was just a beaver that decided to swim in the lake and not a pond!

hmm, never heard of kingstie before. sounds like a loch ness rip off, but interesting none the less.

who knows, kingstie may have come first, but with a better PR spinner, nessie hits it big, while kingstie becomes a joke...anywho, nifty article

Seems to be a while since it has been sighted, maybe whatever it was has moved on?

seems like every big lake in the world has its own mystery creature in it now

lol, yes it does. but i do think that some of these actually exist like ogopogo.

lol, yes it does. but i do think that some of these actually exist like ogopogo.

i think they do too, because of all the sightings and the fact that we still havent discovered every creature on the earth.

and for glacies, its true that kingstie may have come first, but nessie and ogopogo are just really popular, and have been reported for a while. and so it seems everyone wants to jump on the sea serpent band wagon u know. like every town with a lake has one now.

• 2 years later...

I think it is cool how there are sea mosters around. I live beside Lake Ontario. So i will be sure to keep a eye out :) . Maybe they are dinosaurs, that did not die or something, maybe just maybe... :unsure2: oh well i suppose it is just another mystery waiting to be solved. :P^_^

I think it is cool how there are sea mosters around. I live beside Lake Ontario. So i will be sure to keep a eye out :) . Maybe they are dinosaurs, that did not die or something, maybe just maybe... :unsure2: oh well i suppose it is just another mystery waiting to be solved. :P^_^

Welcome, but do you realize you've resurrected a two year old thread?

hey mr halo do you know where i can read up more about this story? The crazy thing is i live right on the water EXACTLY where this monster is seen lol i can see the islands from my house and also see alexandria bay but to be honest I have never seen any monster. Growing up i did see wierd creature in the lake swimming but even back then i was smart enough to put 2 and 2 together and figure it was just a beaver that decided to swim in the lake and not a pond!

Of course it was a 30 foot long, horned beaver. There are loads of those in Canada.

Edited by draconic chronicler

I live in Buffalo/Niagara Falls...our sewage dumps into Lake Erie, down the Niagara River, and into Lake Ontario....which is also getting Toronto's sewage. Further up stream/Lake you've got Cleveland, Toledo, Detriot, Milawaukee, Chicago, Gary ......get the picture? It aint there.....

Edited by The Mule

The Mule. That would mean that instead of it being what it is currently reguarded as, its instead a mutated creature caused by all that "toxic" waste filling its home!

:yes: Indeed it does.

Rock pythons in asia grow to 32ft in length, so the 30ft size range is very possible