Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evolution and Religion

343 Guilty Spark

I always wanted to join Christianity but my views on evolution make me think should I join?

What I'm asking is can you join Christianity and still belive we evolved from the apes?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Essan

• Link of Hyrule

• 343 Guilty Spark

• Mr Supertypo

Top Posters In This Topic

Christianity means following the teachings of Christ, and believing him to be the Son of God. Evolution doesn't come into it. Not even the Pope believes that Genesis is anything but a folk myth......

In other words: Yes, of course you can be a Christain if you believe in evolution.

(btw we didn't evolve from apes, we evolved from a long extinct, common ancestor, of apes and homonids...wink2.gif )

Evolution and Creationism are not mutally exclusive. It is very well possible that God chose to create humanity (indeed, the whole world) through the process of evolution. The "days" as given in the creation story in Genesis may refer to an indeterminate amount of time - the whole "day is a thousand years and a thousand years a day to God" routine.

So, yes, you can be Christian and still believe in evolution thumbsup.gif

All the best,

Edited by Paranoid Android

The "days" as given in the creation story in Genesis may refer to an indeterminate amount of time - the whole "day is a thousand years and a thousand years a day to God" routine.

I'm not in anyway religious (infact I'm agnostic), but I just found it funny you said 7 days as in time periods when there are 7 mass extinctions before humans..... (I think thats the total number anyway....) I don't think its connected, just a funny.

Thanks. grin2.gif It was just a lot of times when evolution is brought up on the spirituality board a lot of the religious people try to prove its false.

GuiltySpark - I do find myself arguing against evolution sometimes. But it's more because the evo advocates claim it to be infallible and correct - which, quite frankly, it isn't.

All the best,

It is funny, science provides me with proof of my religion, christians try to disprove science with their religion. Strange.

Evolution is not about who made life, but how. I don't really understand the conflect. There are many sciencist that are christians, I see no problem with that. Follow your Path and don't worry about what others think.

well evolutionism doesent disproof creationism.

In a way or another we are all gods children... grin2.gif

762863[/snapback]

speaking for yourself.

Essan: (btw we didn't evolve from apes, we evolved from a long extinct, common ancestor, of apes and homonids

Ah yes, the never found "missing link". Of course, it is not merely a link missing, but the whole darn chain! no.gif

343 Guilty Spark: Thanks. It was just a lot of times when evolution is brought up on the spirituality board a lot of the religious people try to prove its false.

I think rather that it is that they are trying to justify or demonstrate an alternate explanation, either creationism, a matter of faith, or intelligent design (still largely a matter of faith, but why it makes sense). As for we disbelievers who don't accept either, still waiting for rational proof of either, or alternate explanations which can be proved. geek.gif

762863[/snapback]

speaking for yourself.

763542[/snapback]

well if not god then somebody else tongue.gif