Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sex offenders banned from Florida storm shelters

__Kratos__

ST. PETERSBURG, Florida (AP) -- Hundreds of sex offenders being tracked by authorities would not be allowed into public hurricane shelters under a new policy, but would be allowed to ride out the storms in prisons instead.

The policy was created to keep sex offenders and predators away from children in the public shelters, Robby Cunningham, spokesman for Florida's Department of Corrections, said Saturday.

Sex offenders who choose to seek safety in a prison would be kept in areas such as visitor or meeting rooms, not with inmates, he said.

"They are not incarcerated," Cunningham said. "We don't want them on the streets. We don't want them violating their probation either."

The policy only affects sex offenders under state supervision who are not allowed near children, according to the report published by St. Petersburg Times.

Sex offenders will also have to sign a form that outlines the evacuation plan and instructions. They must wear an ID badge, while smoking is not allowed. They can make collect calls on a pay phone. No pets or family members are allowed and no using the canteen.

They can also be searched at any time by authorities.

Randall Marshall, a legal director of the Florida branch of American Civil Liberties Union, said the policy could push sex offenders out of the supervision of authorities.

"If you take people who have served their sentence and are released from prison and try to (reinstate) themselves in society, the more steps you take to isolate and ostracize them ... there are very few options for them to live their lives and not reoffend."

Source

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That Randall Marshall can go get bent! thumbsup.gif This is a wonderful idea to protect people! yes.gif

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• Melladior

• joc

• nativechick1989

Top Posters In This Topic

Hundreds of sex offenders being tracked by authorities would not be allowed into public hurricane shelters under a new policy, but would be allowed to ride out the storms in prisons instead.

You know...you just gotta like that Jeb Bush! thumbsup.gif

How about a compromise? We'll put Randall Marshall, his wife, and his daughters in a separate storm shelter with the sex offenders and see how that suits him.

I think it's understandable and a good idea, especially if the offender is still under probation.

thats good... but sex offenders exspeacially pedos should be banned from living.

^ i agree with that, 100%.

here, pedos, etc are not put into general population because the other prisoners would kill them pretty damn quick. pity really, less sex offenders the better whistling2.gif

^ i agree with that, 100%.

here, pedos, etc are not put into general population because the other prisoners would kill them pretty damn quick. pity really, less sex offenders the better whistling2.gif

780913[/snapback]

no kidding... I know if I had a life sentence, I would be cleaning up the human race a bit... devil.gif

Sex offenders should be castrated on release for two reasons

1. when they were released they wouldnt have mr pee pee so they wouldnt b able to stick it n e were (unless it was surgically implanted in their mudvein so they would never forget wot they dun)

2. People would start thinking that maybe raping granny in the house on the corner aint a good idea coz i might loose mr pee pee.

but since evryone is to wrapped up on giving offenders 2nd 3rd and 100 chances and forgetting about the victims (children and adults thaat have to live with this 4 eva until they die or take their own lives) this will neva happen.

so n e thing that can b done to stop them entering back into mainstream and normal life is a good idea and then maybe they might get the message and stop being a drain on the federal system and stop living w00t.gif .

Boo hoo..they should ban those sick a** holes from the planet! angry.gif

^

What isis said works for me.

Don't worry Pyro, the prisoners still get a hold of them. yes.gif

I'm totally for it, the victim doesn't just pay for the 12mths or so an attacker spends in jail and then gets to move on.

They pay for the rest of their lives and so should the attackers. mad.gif

Back to the article, I think it is a great idea. You know that some of these people 'go camping' just at the thought of a storm headed their way for this reason. Take away that opportunity, and take away the chance for another person to be hurt.