Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gecko! Gecko!

Red-eye Dragoon

GECKO! GECKO!

In downtown New York, at a somewhat trashy apartment, there lived a man named Howard. He was a young man, in his mid-twenties, and had a terrible fear of cockroaches. Well if you've been to New York, and maybe live or stayed in a rundown hotel, you know how many cockroaches there are. Too many to count!

Howie had just come home from work and was looking for a bit of relaxation. All he wanted to do was get a bowl of ice cream, sit down and read the newspaper. He started raiding the messy cabinets and sink to look for a bowl and a spoon. He found the bowl, got out the ice cream and opened a drawer to get the spoon when, Surprise!! Out jumps a big juicy cockroach. After jumping twenty feet in the air and grabbing a spoon out of the drawer, he sat down to calm himself. "God forsaken roaches!" he yelled, while slowing his heartbeat, just as another cockroach crawled between his feet. " There's got to be something I can do to get rid of them." Just then, as he was getting his ice cream and reading ads in the paper, one specific ad caught his eye. "Got Roaches? We have a solution! Come down to Sam's Pet Club today and get yourself the natural predator of the roaches, a Gecko!"

"What in the world?" Howard thought. He read on: "That's right! A gecko! Follow the directions below to get your very own live cockroach eliminator! Then ask our friendly staff how to care for and what to do to get rid of your cockroaches." "Ya right. That gecko will probably eat me while I sleep." he said as yet another roach scuttled across the floor. He felt sick. He thought it was worth a try, so the very next day he followed the directions on the ad to the pet store.

He asked about the geckos and the staff told him what to do with a gecko and how much they were and, soon enough, he was driving home with his very own gecko. "Great," he thought "yet another little critter that is going to be loitering around in my house."

He got home and did just as the woman at the store told him to do, and let the gecko go. He saw the gecko run under the refrigerator after the nearest cockroach it saw. "Well, at least he is doing his job." he said after he heard the loud "GECKO, GECKO," sound that geckos make when they swallow.

Days went by, and Howard saw fewer and fewer roaches. He didn't like the gecko running around his house all the time, but what's one gecko to a thousand roaches? He shrugged it off, and tried to suck it up. One thing he did do, however, was close the door before he went to bed. But no matter what he did, somehow the lizard always got into his room.

One day after work, he was getting some dinner when he saw the gecko chase one of the last cockroaches on the house under the refrigerator. He saw the cockroach scurry under it with the gecko far behind struggling to go under. That's when Harold realized. It was getting bigger. That night he did everything he could to keep the Gecko out of his room. He fell into a deep sleep.

All the police found the next morning was a small stain on the bed that looked like blood. They searched everywhere in the house for Harold after a worried neighbor herd a slight scream and a haunting "GECKO, GECKO," that morning, but no one could find anything. No Harold, No Gecko, No cockroaches, nothing. They left that house confused and wondering, never to see Harold again. The only place they didn't check was under the bed, where the gecko was - big as ever, and full at last.

Submitted by: Constance, TN, USA

source

I don't quite believe this one, geckos can't grow big enough to eat people.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Red-eye Dragoon

• Nessieman23

• dani10

good gravy. These stories get more ridiculous all the time.

A man-eating gecko??

Give me a break

That is scary...(and funny) But it's nice to still see TLOD fans are here...

818088[/snapback]

I have never heard of the man-eating gecko story until now, and I thought I heard 'em all. Guess I was wrong! Well, it was amusing though. Thanks for the story.

I read this story in a book about scary stories when I was 10 or 11. It seems kind of ridiculous now that I'm 16, but it freaked me out when I first read it.

Just one discrepancy: Was he called Howard or Harold?

Just one discrepancy: Was he called Howard or Harold?

820719[/snapback]

I think whoever typed it out made a typo.

yeah new urban legend.The man with two names

Sounds lame and how do people even know he had a gecko and that it grew so big?LOL someone made it up unless they spied on him or somthin and saw every detail AND HOW THE ******* DO THEY KNOW HE HAD A DREAM.again..LOL angry.gif LAME TOO

Sounds lame and how do people even know he had a gecko and that it grew so big?LOL someone made it up unless they spied on him or somthin and saw every detail AND HOW THE ******* DO THEY KNOW HE HAD A DREAM.again..LOL angry.gif LAME TOO

831031[/snapback]

Whoa dude! Calm down. mellow.gif It's just an urban legend, they don't have to make sense, try not to get worked up over them.

Man eating Gecko.

• 3 months later...

source

I don't quite believe this one, geckos can't grow big enough to eat people.

The only lizard that gets big enough to eat a human is the Komodo Dragon. And one of those loose in an apartment is not my idea of roach control. Rat control, cat control, but not roach control.

The biggest species of gecko doesn't exceed a foot in length. This is definitely an urban legend.

B)

LMAO, sounds like something from the Twilight Zone, lol

:devil:

Out jumps a big juicy cockroach. After jumping twenty feet in the air and grabbing a spoon out of the drawer, he sat down to calm himself.

now thats an urban legend....the man that can jump twenty feet into the air....

:D:huh::D

While everybody else is picking the story apart, I was wondering if it would be possible to market geckos to people as a pest control gimmick!

You read it here first! Live pest control! Just like on Wild Kingdom!

BTW, I once saw an alligator that was about 18 feet long on a gator-farm. I don't know itf it could swallow a human whole but, he could've taken two or three bites if he wasn't in a hurry to get back to work!

Edited by Lord Umbarger

I should mention, however, that some geckos can be mean little buggers, although as has been mentioned they're not large enough to eat you.

My brother used to own a largish Tokay gecko that would once in a while bite his finger thinking it was food. The only way to get it to let go was for my brother to put his whole hand in the fridge until the poor lizard got sluggish and let go. My sister also has the same problems with her leopard geckos but they're too small to bite and hold onto a finger.

Geckos cannot get that large. Whoever made that story up should get smacked across the head with a phonebook.