Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Battlefield ghosts?

Hoagy

I was looking through some of my old photo albums last night when I found a load of pictures from my days in a re-enactment society. A couple of times we had displays at Bosworth Battlefield, in Leicestershire, England. For those who dont know of this place, it was the site of the bloodiest and most violent conflict during the Wars of the Roses, which were fought between the Lancastrians and the Yorkists. An interesting site about the battlefiend center can be found HERE.

I remember it was the night before the battle that we were all sitting outside out tents, around the campfire, enjoying a cold beer and enjoying telling stories in the waning twilight. One by one my friends sloped off to bed, as it was getting pretty late. Eventually only myself and my Commanding Officer were left. Upon his standing up he asked me to take care of the fire-pit before I turned in for the night. I put the fire out and extinguished the lanterns that illuminated the avenue of tents.

As I climbed under my covers and got comfortable, I heard a voice from outside. I know it was'nt one of my friends, as it was not recognisable, and the fact that whatever it was that was said was in a foreign language. I got up and stuck my head outside, but of course, no one about. Now this place is in the middle of nowhere, so it was'nt the local kids or anything having a laugh. So I thought no more of it and went to bed.

I mentioned it in passing to my CO the next morning and he said that maybe it was a 'ghost', I just kinda laughed it off until he mentioned that there were a lot of mercenaries bought over to fight from Europe...

was it an order I heard being barked in a foriegn tongue????

its anyones guess, but I thought I would share it with everyone happy.gif

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hoagy

• earthchick

• Johnsy

• aLiEn_GuY

Top Posters In This Topic

That's very interesting. Did you notice anything odd in any of your photos?

actually, to be honest with you both, there is nothing unusual in the pictures, it was just that they prompted the memory of what happened that night. There are other ghost sightings there, I am gonna have a dig around and see what I can find on it.

Glad you liked the account tho thumbsup.gif

I live near ther battlefield in Leicester and have heard a few stories like that but many people have actually seen men on horse back just riding riding around as if they where lost then just dossappear.

Interestingly there are many different battlefield ghost stories, some easily discerned as "tall tales" and some inexplicable. The Angels of Mons from the 1st World War is my favorite, here St George led a ghostly troop to protect the retreating British force, killing thousands of Germans without leaving a visible wound. This one is probably a "tall tale", but I love it anyway. I know folks who have seen the ghost of a Bronze Age horseman gallop across the moor only to dissapear into a mound, that have seen the ghosts of Roman Legionairies camped by the roadside. I have witnessed "Lakenheath Charlie", the ghost of an RAF pilot that crash landed in the fog at RAF Lakenheath (a decoy base in those days) during WWII. He now appears on foggy nights and waves a red warning lantern at approaching RAF and USAF aircraft. Yes, I believe in battlefield ghosts and even in modern folk somehow observing the past, which might account for some of those ghosts.

I have also heard stories about ghosts in that location.

Many places throughout the world which indeed are battlefields and so on... that there are ghosts resided there...

Maybe it was an unsettled ghost who thought that he did not finish his fight... mellow.gif

I've never actually seen a ghost on a battlefield, but I did have an odd experience at Gettsyburg a few summers past. I was walking the first days' field early in the morning, at roughly the time of day the fighting had occurred there. I wanted to see where elements of Heth's division had crossed Willoughby's Run on their way to assault the left of McPherson's ridge. The crossing is hidden in the woods, and isn't marked or anything - it's not the sort of thing the casual visitor would be interested in anyway.

At any rate, the stream bottom is old red sandstone, and can't have changed much in 140 years. I found what I was satisfied was the crossing point (and I wasn't the only one to be interested - there was a faint, but definite trail to that point). At any rate, I started back from the crossing toward the Federal positions, along pretty much the route the Confederate infantry would have been following. There were ripe blackberries, and I grabbed a handful to eat as I walked, wondering how many soldiers had done the same that morning in 1863.

Suddenly as I walked, I hit a place in the woods where there was just this sort of oppressive "pressure", accompanied by a faint buzzing sound. It's hard to describe. I could hear a faint, definite buzzing, but what really caught my attention was just the feeling of being under pressure - the morning was pressing in around me. It wasn't exactly a physical sensation, but it was very definite, and couldn't be ignored. It was just oppressive, and tense, right there in that one spot.

The sensation was unpleasant, but not frightening. It was occurring in a very tight little area, maybe five feet across. I could step in and out of it, and did so for a while. I went away to look at some monuments, and came back to it some ten minutes later, and it was still there. I regret now that I was alone that day, as I didn't have a companion on whom to test the spot. I lacked the chutzpah to grab a stranger and ask him to check it out.

There wasn't anything at all unusual about the location that I could tell. http://www.civilwaralbum.com/gettysburg/pa..._mcpherson3.htm shows a view of it from a distance. I was back in the woods somewhere between the "McPherson's Woods" and "Herr Ridge" captions, close enough to the open pasture to be able to see the split rail fence.

I swung by there briefly on my way back to the motel that evening, and it wasn't there anymore.