Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How New Orleans Was Lost...

Me_Again

September 1, 2005

How New Orleans Was Lost

by Paul Craig Roberts

Chalk up the city of New Orleans as a cost of Bush's Iraq war.

There were not enough helicopters to repair the breached levees and rescue people trapped by rising water. Nor are there enough Louisiana National Guardsmen available to help with rescue efforts and to patrol against looting.

The situation is the same in Mississippi.

The National Guard and helicopters are off on a fool's mission in Iraq.

The National Guard is in Iraq because fanatical neoconservatives in the Bush administration were determined to invade the Middle East and because incompetent Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld refused to listen to the generals, who told him there were not enough regular troops available to do the job.

After the invasion, the arrogant Rumsfeld found out that the generals were right. The National Guard was called up to fill in the gaping gaps.

Now the Guardsmen, trapped in the Iraqi quagmire, are watching on TV the families they left behind trapped by rising waters and wondering if the floating bodies are family members. None know where their dislocated families are, but, shades of Fallujah, they do see their destroyed homes.

The mayor of New Orleans was counting on helicopters to put in place massive sandbags to repair the levee. However, someone called the few helicopters away to rescue people from rooftops. The rising water overwhelmed the massive pumping stations, and New Orleans disappeared under deep water.

What a terrible casualty of the Iraqi war – one of our oldest and most beautiful cities, a famous city, a historic city.

Distracted by its phony war on terrorism, the U.S. government had made no preparations in the event Hurricane Katrina brought catastrophe to New Orleans. No contingency plan existed. Only now after the disaster are FEMA and the Corps of Engineers trying to assemble the material and equipment to save New Orleans from the fate of Atlantis.

Even worse, articles in the New Orleans Times-Picayune and public statements by emergency management chiefs in New Orleans make it clear that the Bush administration slashed the funding for the Corps of Engineers' projects to strengthen and raise the New Orleans levees and diverted the money to the Iraq war.

Walter Maestri, emergency management chief for Jefferson Parish, told the New Orleans Times-Picayune (June 8, 2004): "It appears that the money has been moved in the president's budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that's the price we pay. Nobody locally is happy that the levees can't be finished, and we are doing everything we can to make the case that this is a security issue for us."

Why can't the U.S. government focus on America's needs and leave other countries alone? Why are American troops in Iraq instead of protecting our own borders from a mass invasion by illegal immigrants? Why are American helicopters blowing up Iraqi homes instead of saving American homes in New Orleans?

How can the Bush administration be so incompetent as to expose Americans at home to dire risks by exhausting American resources in foolish foreign adventures? What kind of "homeland security" is this?

All Bush has achieved by invading Iraq is to kill and wound thousands of people while destroying America's reputation. The only beneficiaries are oil companies capitalizing on a good excuse to jack up the price of gasoline and Osama bin Laden's recruitment.

What we have is a Republican war for oil company profits while New Orleans sinks beneath the waters.

Link

This is just plain stupid. Anyone who believes this is also ...just plain stupid.

joc, try my response on the other thread, bush's resonse.......

joc Posted Today, 12:08 AM

This is just plain stupid. Anyone who believes this is also ...just plain stupid.

Are you calling me stupid, stupid tongue.gif

Care to elaborate more on why its so stupid (other than just calling me stupid), the fact is that if we weren't in an unplanned war at the moment, we would have a better plan for disaster in our own country yes.gif

Me_Again...

...There have been people shouting in the wilderness about how vulnerable New Orleans

was to a direct hit by a storm like Katrina for Fourty years. For Fourty years Me_Again.

The Iraq War has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the Tragedy on the Gulf Coast.

You people just need to put your hatred for President Bush aside and consider the lives of the people who have been lost and are suffering. And to blame any one person for the tragedy that mother nature caused is just plain stupid. I'm not calling anyone any names...I'm just calling the thought process stupid and ...stupid is as stupid does. tongue.gif

Edited by joc

..and blind is as blind does.

your missing the point joc.

joc, if there was no iraq war at the moment then there would be more people helping down there, dont you agree? or you thinking bombing iraq is better use?

• Like 1

joc, if there was no iraq war at the moment then there would be more people helping down there, dont you agree? or you thinking bombing iraq is better use?

I don't think the response would be any different than it is now.

822008[/snapback]

Guess I am just plain stupid thumbsup.gif

822087[/snapback]

They would have alot more help because there would be a lot more money and aid to send to them. But we have used our money to kill people instead of help them.

Edited by ajagsfairy

822087[/snapback]

They would have alot more help because there would be a lot more money and aid to send to them. But we have used our money to kill people instead of help them.

822106[/snapback]

Well... that was awfully country self-centered. blink.gif I guess we're not HELPING the Iraqi people. Nor are we fighting on the front lines of terrorism for people. rolleyes.gif

Edited by __Kratos__

No Kratos your not, that is just what your puppet master president has spoon fed you.

partnership for an idiot free America !!

huh.gif

huh.gif

822126[/snapback]

Yes Joc her reply proves here quote as valid, because there are so many idiots that think America and the UK are helping Iraq.

You really should not be suggesting other people are idiots, going on you make fun of people punching babies in the face, also goes to prove Ajagsfairy's quote.

All the best

Faeden

Yes Joc her reply proves here quote as valid, because there are so many idiots that think America and the UK are helping Iraq.

Laughable. laugh.gif

You really should not be suggesting other people are idiots, going on you make fun of people punching babies in the face, also goes to prove Ajagsfairy's quote.

The thought process that some people are egaged in is suggestion enough on its own.

Don't you have a sense of humor? Lighten up a little....do you ever laugh?

I don't belive for a minute that will our bases full, the response to the disaster would have sped up the process.

edit: typo

Edited by JayRob303

huh.gif

822126[/snapback]

All the best

Faeden

822139[/snapback]

No need for personal shots. no.gif

I wonder what we are doing for the Iraqi people then, if not helping them. rolleyes.gif

You can hate war all you want, but to say we aren't helping is plain ignorant because if you look around... soldier's giving kids shoes, rebuilding and giving them their own freedom... surely that is helping... and not "evil".

Don't you have a sense of humor? Lighten up a little....do you ever laugh?

I laugh all the time just not as people walking up to babies in the street and punching them in the face.

Kratos I am aware that the army has done humanitarian things for people, and helped people, but in Iraqi its mostly killing, and making things worse and its for Americans own gain and nothing else.

You say I should not take personal shots, maybe your right, but Joc did just that calling Ajagsfairy a idiot and going on that Joc is forever making fun of sick things, I do not think he is in a position to be calling people names.

All the best

Faeden

Edited by Faeden

but in Iraqi its mostly killing, and making things worse and its for Americans own gain and nothing else.

Hold your horses there Skippy!

We (Americans) have yet to see ANYTHING gained by this war. And, as far as 'mostly killing', we certainly don't need to travel half-way around the world to do so...

Edited by JayRob303

You say I should not take personal shots, maybe your right, but Joc did just that calling Ajagsfairy a idiot and going on that Joc is forever making fun of sick things, I do not think he is in a position to be calling people names.

I didn't call anyone anything. You seriously need to lighten up Faeden. original.gif

I wasnt aware he was implying i am an idoit. But i could care less.

See even jag wasn't offended. I will admit I have a 'twisted' sense of humor. For instance: Regarding the Space Shuttle explosion of the Eighties...What did the NASA cafeteria serve for lunch...launch meat. tongue.gif

See even jag wasn't offended.  I will admit I have a 'twisted' sense of humor.  For instance:  Regarding the Space Shuttle explosion of the Eighties...What did the NASA cafeteria serve for lunch...launch meat. tongue.gif

822206[/snapback]

That is wrong on so many levels...

*snickers*

Edited by JayRob303

but in Iraqi its mostly killing, and making things worse and its for Americans own gain and nothing else.

Hold your horses there Skippy!

We (Americans) have yet to see ANYTHING gained by this war. And we certainly don't need to travel half-way around the world to do so...

822202[/snapback]

Yibbidi Yabada

That's because it is going to be silently running through pipes then through pumps, and then invisibly evaporating out into the environment rolleyes.gif

Yibbidi Yabada? rofl.gif

That's because it is going to be silently running through pipes then through pumps, and then invisibly evaporating out into the environment

Oh...that's why I'm paying $3.69 a gallon... thumbsup.gif

Edited by JayRob303

sigh, so is Bush also to blame for the miles of devestation that isn't located at New Orleans?

Bush is also to blame for the boxing day tsunami, earthquakes in LA and the extinction of the dinosaurs