Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parents: White Teacher Should Not Teach Black Hist

Bizarro

OBERLIN, Ohio, Updated 1:33 p.m. EDT July 28, 2003 -- A group of parents said they will fight a possible decision to allow a white teacher to lead classes in black history at Oberlin High School.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/2360897/detail.html

"How do you work through that when the person teaching it is the same type of person who did the enslaving?"

im sorry, this is absolute ignorant nonsense. i wish someone would please explain to me what owning a slave is like. i mean, slavery hasn't existed in like 150 years now. not all white people owned slaves- i know for a fact my family didn't because they didn't arrive until the 1840's. they moved to Oklahoma and a lot of my relatives still live there today. they were farmers. my other side of the family lived in New England where there was no slavery. i get so sick and tired of hearing about this kind of story. a white teacher can't comprehend slavery? what about the Irish? they are descendants of runaway Greek slaves. lots of Europeans have been enslaved also in near history. this is pure racist nonsense.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Althalus

• Starlyte

• Xenojjin

• DespondentDave

they moved to Oklahoma and a lot of my relatives still live there today. they were farmers.

Same as my dad's side of the family who are also of Irish decent. On the other side my mom did grow up with a black maid who went by "Mammy". She was no slave though, just a hard-working woman trying to make some money. DS is right, if this class was being taught back when people actually owned slaves I can see why having someone white teaching black history could be definite conflict of interest. However, that is not the case nowadays. To make it really interesting, how many white people do you think have black ancestory or vice versa? Kind of makes you wonder why this is still such an issue. It's sad really.

I would have thought that people would have 'grown up' a bit since then, and come to accept what has passed, and that all people, no matter what colour, creed, whatever, ARE MADE EQUAL.

• 3 months later...

I see nothing wrong with anyone teaching any kind of history to a different ethnic group, in 10th grade when I had a black Spanish teacher I had no problem with it, she knew Spanish just as well as I did (I lived in Mexico 'till I was 3). And when my History teacher started to teach the class about Mexican heritage...did I get mad 'cause he was white? NO. You can't assume that someone does or doesn't know about something just because of the colour of their skin...or the clothes they're wearing for that matter(people assume that being goth means not being Christian).

• 2 months later...

My 2 cent!

Why is there still racism? Are we all the same? Yes are skin color is different, but we all came out in the same place! And come time for judgement, god is not going to judge by what color you were, cuz when answer to him we all will be the same color!

And if people really thinks about slavery.....we all are slaves.!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone of us has to get up every morning go to work and slave for customers, slave and kiss the bosses butt, just to make a little money to support our self/family.

And if you don't beleive that we all wether your white, black, mexican, asian, what ever.... we ALL are slaves of the lord. We all are here to please HIM!!!!!

thats right , a white person has no right to teach black history ... never mind the fact that they in particular did not participate in slavery since it was years and years ago ... because they are white they must be clueless about it ... oh wait a minute ... thats racism isnt it ? huh.giftongue.gif

BAKABAKABAKA laugh.gif

Let's put the boot on the other foot, and say a class of white people were being taught white history by a black man. If the white people complained they would rightly be condemned.

I'm sorry but there are so many people that believe racism is only applicable to white on black, and that it cannot apply to black on white.

It reminds me of another example. If there are six people going for a job, five are white and one is black; should the black person be given the job then it would be because they were the most suitable candidate.

If five black people and one white person were going for a job and the white person was given that job, then it would be because the employer is racist. The fact that the white person may have been the most suitable doesn't even enter into the discussion.

Political correctness has, once again, gone mad

Lets not just put the boot on the other foot, lets go ahead and put the whole suit on. This is going to sound bad, but its the truth, i dont think most black people know any more about slavery than most white people. America is starting to become white haters. Anything we do to help another white person is criticized as descriminating agianst a black, hispanic.... I know this has been said before, but if a white man was to start a college fund to help white males to pay for college, the world would freak out. Could you imagine. But there is a scholarship for black males. Why dont white people freak out? Well, because blacks make us feel we owe them something. well, we dont. we cant possibly be responsible for what our ancestors did. It would be like me asking for money or holding a grudge because one of my coworkers great great grandfather killed my great great grandfather in a fight. How does he have anything to do with that. Does anyone else see what im saying?

CASTOR

you are 100% correct castor .

And we dont just find things like this in whites only , long aged grudges between religions , countries , and even sexes have been going on forever . Were any of you women alive when women couldn't vote ? No , you now have equal rights to us men so stop complaining about nothing . Was anyone alive when catholics were slaughtering other denominations ? No , that was YEARS AGO . and what was happening isn't even supported in the bible , just our ancestors being retards . Why Iraq ... why isreal ... none of you have a REAL clue what your fighting for ... thank God Bush did something right for once... tongue.gif ... and has almost brought it to an end .

The slavery between blacks and whites is long since over . I have met many blacks who believe that they are owed something for this ... wooot ... I think many of those who do this would be surprised to know they are racist themselves , the very thing they claim to hate .

The whole thing is a joke in the Uk there are even "guidlines" that say teachers have to call a black board a chalk board now incase it offends anyone? Yet a white board is still a white board. There is now an asian only womens football league, christ we had almost weekly riots here in the eighties whilst trying to stamp out racism from the game.

No teachers were around during the 100 years war or the Crusades but they can teach it to others.

If you want racial equality (which most of us do) sack racial equality commissions they spend to time being P.C to make any difference

END OF RANT!

whistling2.gif

I agree with nearly all of what has already been said. Especially despondant Daves points.

I am not in the slightest bit racist but i am constantly made to feel like one by this political correctness madness.

I mean the real problem i have is that is really does seem that the laws governing racism only seem to be used on white people, i may be wrong but it seems other people (especially moslems, and i amnt being racist) can say what they feel about whites or even christianity yet if even a single word is uttered that isnt entirley complimentary about them or theyre religion then all hell breaks loose.

Am i alone in feeling this way?

I amnt intending to offend anybody here i accept racism is a huge problem and has to be stamped out.

My favorite term is "reverse racism". What the hell does that mean? (Yes, I know-I just think it's ignorant).

My other favorite thing is a "hate crime". Say, if I kill someone, I get sentenced to 40 years-but if I HATED him I get another 10 (or whatever)! I guess if I decide to kill, I'll kill with love, maybe they'll reduce the sentence down or just forgive me the whole thing.