Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Examining the Ouija Board

UM-Bot

ouija1.jpg
Tim Boucher: The Ouija Board traces its roots to spiritualist practices of the mid-nineteenth century using “talking boards”, planchettes and pendulums, and perhaps indirectly beyond that to divinatory and shamanistic practices throughout history.

The board as we know it today though came into use in 1901 when a businessman named William Fuld stole the idea from his boss Charles Kennard, and an associate named Elijah Bond who’d created something similar in 1890.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Pop Occulture

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shivel

• ROGER

• 777MileStare

• SurfX805

Now you know if they really worked, they'd be used to make people rich. Also, they'd use them to look into the future. Ouija is 100% FAKE...

Anyone who says otherwise is either crazy or manifested something up in their mind that it works... :tu:

Use it without a planchette, and read the letters with your own eyes. It's not fake.

Edited by PFlack

Anyone who says otherwise is either crazy or manifested something up in their mind that it works... :tu:

As if you are anyone to pass such a judgement. :rolleyes:

I tend to believe that they are fake, and what that article said is exactly what I had thought.

However, there was one occasion that was a bit unnerving.

My friend had asked the board for proof that there was actually a spirit present. He asked a similar question that was presented in said article, a few seconds after the question was asked the lights turned on, then off, on, and off again.

I had a very clear view of the light switch, it had not moved during what had happened.

It could very easily have been coincidence, dont get me wrong, but that would be much easier to say if the light had been on at the time. I have heard lights flickering from on to off, but never lights flickering from off to on.

As if you are anyone to pass such a judgement. :rolleyes:

I tend to believe that they are fake, and what that article said is exactly what I had thought.

However, there was one occasion that was a bit unnerving.

My friend had asked the board for proof that there was actually a spirit present. He asked a similar question that was presented in said article, a few seconds after the question was asked the lights turned on, then off, on, and off again.

I had a very clear view of the light switch, it had not moved during what had happened.

It could very easily have been coincidence, dont get me wrong, but that would be much easier to say if the light had been on at the time. I have heard lights flickering from on to off, but never lights flickering from off to on.

that was the biggest hypocritical remark i have heard on here... :rofl:

you typed "As if you are anyone to pass such a judgement. " well, you just passed judgement on me. what an idiot...

:rolleyes:

that was the biggest hypocritical remark i have heard on here... :rofl:

you typed "As if you are anyone to pass such a judgement. " well, you just passed judgement on me. what an idiot...

:rolleyes:

It would be hard not to pass judgement on anyone on these boards or otherwise; however I think you should read a bit more carefully. The problem I had was the judgement you passed:

"As if you are anyone to pass such a judgement. "

It's not the judgement that is wrong, it's the judgement you decided to make that offended me.

Being the incredible genius that you must be, I think you are able to see how childish name calling is. I suggest you handle things with more maturity, lest people start thinking lowly of you, which I'm sure they don't already do.

The board has no power at all. It is simply a focusing device , like a crystal ball or tailismen. The answers and the insight are from the ones using it. If it dose not respond to YOU , it may be because you lack certain talents , or your Brain is not developed enough to use it!

The board has no power at all. It is simply a focusing device , like a crystal ball or tailismen. The answers and the insight are from the ones using it. If it dose not respond to YOU , it may be because you lack certain talents , or your Brain is not developed enough to use it!

Seems possible.

That's what bothers me. There are such good arguments on both sides, and no way to disprove them.

I'm sure ouija boards aren't only less than 100 years old...

I'm pretty sure hearing that the ancient egyptians used them and other cultures.

I'm sure ouija boards aren't only less than 100 years old...

I'm pretty sure hearing that the ancient egyptians used them and other cultures.

I'm sure they had something very similar, but I think the oujia board it's talking about is the first of it's kind. Just a guess though.

My friend and I messed with one when we were kids. I don't know if he was moving it, or if it was anything else, but it freaked me out enough to never mess with one again.

:alien:

let me read the instructions on my ouija board..."one person must move the object around"

but, if you use one in a haunted house, i'd say it works

Edited by rane

You wouldn't catch me within ten feet of one.

SurfX805, I hope I won't have to speak to you about inflammatory remarks and name calling.

I have one... never use it. Can't find anyone who's willing to. it's fun really, just for amusment... *shrugs*

Trust me ya'll they are very very real. My mother wouldn't let me buy one when I was 11 and I wanted one. My father went behind her back and got it for me. My brother which was 9 was sleeping one night and woke up screaming to top of lungs. We took him to hospital while he was in a terrified condition and they diagnosed him as being possesed. We brought my uncle over to house without telling him what happened and when he walked in, hairs stood up on him and he immediatly blessed the house and crossed the windows with little gold crosses. My brother had snuck into my room and used it and it flew across room. He said he was being chased by a demon and that is what he saw when he was screaming in bed. He said the demon was looking thru window right at him and his bed layed in front of the windown. My mother immediatly got rid of it. We've had my brother bapitised and all since then. When my parents decided to sell our home, they spent I know a few yrs selling it cuz everyone that walked in said they felt something extreme when they walked in. Trust me home was beautful, they looked terrified. But I'll tell ya what, I'll never get near one again. The devil will let you in if you let him-he loves praying on weak minds. Don't matter if you 5 or 15 or 30. He will come to you if you let him. Devil cannot physically appear to you but demons can if you let them. I get goosebumps thinking about what happened to my brother and it terrifies me just sitting here talking about it. Evil is real-therefor don't invite if you don't want the pass!!

Edited by starlitkate

:blink: WOW , That's like almost unbelievable! Now I dont want one.

Seems possible.

That's what bothers me. There are such good arguments on both sides, and no way to disprove them.

I would like to comment on the Ouija board because I have used one and in the beginning it was a strange and mysterious thing and I was terrified of it to the point that once my daugher and I tossed it into the trash can but later retrieved it.

My First experience was when my neice about 10 and I were home alone trying the Oujia board out.

It began to move and as we sat there it spelled out Stergio is dead.

This was very sad because Stergio had recently died and was not doing well in the Spirit World I found out later because he had died while out jogging and someone found him later and he lay unidentified in the Morgue for about 24 hours before anyone identified him and he was desperately trying to tell us on the Ouija Board board that he is Dead.

The scariest thing about the Ouija board is people are terrified of them but the fact is that Spirits don't need a Ouija board to talk to people on Earth all they have to do is be able to put thoughts into your head and or appear to you in the form of what we say is a Ghost because this is the only way they have to communicate with us.

Sometimes they come in Dreams.

When people have trouble with the Ouija board its because Spirits in your home knowing that people are afraid of the Ouija Board have some fun terrifying you just to see the reaction but they really don't even need the Ouija to communicate but it is easy if they can spell things out if people are receptive.

So yes Ouija Boards work and if someone jumps out and says they are a Demon they are just having some fun scaring some of their relatives no doubt.

If the demon comment was being pushed at me, trust me my brother wasn't playing a demon. He was possesed by one. One that had haunted him from sleeps to walking down the road and he was a willing participate till by talking to this demon until it showed itself as what you would call a satanic demon. My brother said it alwas was covered in a white cloak till the night he woke up screaming in his bed and he screamed he was seeing something we wasn't able to. He contacted this demon thru the board and allowed it to enter our home and enter thru him.

So if you say they are real then how can you say that if someone is seeing a demon that it's just a relative. You can't speak the truth to it then fabricate it as a joke. Which all together makes me wonder if any of your story was the truth.

P.S. Also I think that someone would be able to tell the difference between someone dressed up in a phoney mask from a real demon. :tu:

Edited by starlitkate

• 3 weeks later...

If the demon comment was being pushed at me, trust me my brother wasn't playing a demon. He was possesed by one. One that had haunted him from sleeps to walking down the road and he was a willing participate till by talking to this demon until it showed itself as what you would call a satanic demon. My brother said it alwas was covered in a white cloak till the night he woke up screaming in his bed and he screamed he was seeing something we wasn't able to. He contacted this demon thru the board and allowed it to enter our home and enter thru him.

So if you say they are real then how can you say that if someone is seeing a demon that it's just a relative. You can't speak the truth to it then fabricate it as a joke. Which all together makes me wonder if any of your story was the truth.

P.S. Also I think that someone would be able to tell the difference between someone dressed up in a phoney mask from a real demon. :tu:

Im a very strong believer in the Ouija board and would say to others to stay well clear of it.

I used a Ouija board many years ago and it messed my whole life up including my families.

It is pure evil.

Im a very strong believer in the Ouija board and would say to others to stay well clear of it.

I used a Ouija board many years ago and it messed my whole life up including my families.

It is pure evil.

I'd agree with that.

Was actually *diagnosed* with possession?

My sister(Who I can trust in not to lie about these kinds of things) once told me and my mom about a time when her and her friends used one for the first time. They did it at night with the lights off and she said after they tried a few times, the board just flew up and stuck to the ceiling. I don't remember any other details about the story being that it was a long time ago, but that's enough to keep my scared ass away from one. They all ran out the room and later when they came back the board was back in the closet where it's usualy saved.

Edited by ZeroShadow

• 3 months later...

:cry: Hiya i just wanted to say about my experience with the ouija board. Me and my friend decided to do the ouija board, when a program with Darren Brown was on. He was doing a seance and did the ouija board after. The glass started moving, it got alot faster and we couldn't understand what it was spelling out. It started to slow down and spelt dad die. We then got scared and stopped. the experience shook us up, and we would never do it again. :no::devil::ph34r: