Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghosts Knocking on Houses

My Dad's family originates from Scotland where they have a Celtic Legend like a Banchi. Occasionally when a family member dies it knocks frantically on the outside of the relations' houses, on the roof, doors, walls, all at once.

A few years ago I remember hearing a rhythmic knocking on my back door, which woke me up. Then I listened to it knock on the windows down the side of the house (very high up from the ground) and then knock on the front window. It was too quick for anybody to run that length in such a short space in time. The first knock woke me up so I heard the rest of the knocks awake. It took a little while to realise how weird it was and I got a bit frightened expecting a phone call saying somebody had just died.

Also that night, I was expecting my younger brother to arrive late in the night, and as I was listening out for more knocking I heard a chair on our verandah scrape against the ground like it was getting dragged around. I turned on the outside light, went outside (god I was brave) and saw my brother there. I asked him if he had just knocked on the windows but he said that he had only just arrived and didnt want us to wake up so thought he would chill out on the verandah till morning.

So perhaps there is more than one cause to odd knocking outside the house?

Does anybody know anything about this type of phenomenon??

Edited by Rainbow Rowan

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nadia B.

• tcgram

• Creepy_Steve

Well Banshees are known to do things like that when sombody is about to die.

But nobody died...

Well maybe a poltergeist?

Who could know for sure? I think it is freaky that any type of knocks happen, regardless of who made them!!!

Anyway it was only that one time I ever heard the knocking...

So, you've not had any other weird occurances before or since? Is it possible that a group of people had decided to harass you that night, and ran off when your brother arrived?

And there's no way I would've gone to check it out. Ugh! :P

So, you've not had any other weird occurances before or since? Is it possible that a group of people had decided to harass you that night, and ran off when your brother arrived?

And there's no way I would've gone to check it out. Ugh! :P

The windows were too far up for anybody to even jump up and knock. But also the knocking raced down the house very quickly and around to the front. Nobody could even have run that fast, let alone leap over the wheelie bin and the gates and the extra garden equipment stacked down that side of the garden.

Sorry. :blush: Forgot about that bit.

Hmm, that is curious. Well, it's easy for me to sit here and say "Don't worry about it", because it didn't happen to me. But if it hasn't happened again, I wouldn't worry about it. :D How long ago was this?

Sorry. :blush: Forgot about that bit.

Hmm, that is curious. Well, it's easy for me to sit here and say "Don't worry about it", because it didn't happen to me. But if it hasn't happened again, I wouldn't worry about it. :D How long ago was this?

Hi again WBS!! It was last year. I am curious too! wtf could it be? I thought perhaps my brother's 'guardian angel' if you beleive in that, knocking to wake me up and listen for him...who knows?!

I wondered if anybody had any similar stories from their families too...

Nope, never had that happen, thank God. :w00t: Hmm, guardian angel? I'd think they'd wake you up in a nicer way, lol.

Nope, never had that happen, thank God. :w00t: Hmm, guardian angel? I'd think they'd wake you up in a nicer way, lol.

No way, it can stay way out of my house, WBS! God, I would have a heart attack if some freaky ghost thing woke me up by tapping the end of my nose with its hooky claw finger! (screams!!)

LMAO, I guess so. I was thinking more along the lines of flushing the toilet or turning a lamp on or something. :rofl: BTW, nobody's died since this happened? That you would associate with this, I mean. It's been a year, so if nothing's happened, I wouldn't think it was a banshee.

LMAO, I guess so. I was thinking more along the lines of flushing the toilet or turning a lamp on or something. :rofl: BTW, nobody's died since this happened? That you would associate with this, I mean. It's been a year, so if nothing's happened, I wouldn't think it was a banshee.

Flushing the toilet? Turning on a light? I would freaking curl up and die!!! :w00t:

Well my grandfather passed over in Feb but I wish I could remember when my brother turned up. Anyway, if it was his spirit, he was still alive and the banshee thingy was months beforehand.

Maybe there are guardian banshees!! :D

maybe some hoodlums were throwing rocks...but I highly doubt that..

I think that I can tell the difference between rocks pinging off the walls of my house and a knocking sound... :unsure:

I had a similar experience before my dad died. We would hear someone knock at the back door and every time we would go and open it, there would be no one there. We have windows all around our back porch so it was easy to see if someone were playing a prank on us.

Rainbow Rowan,

Did anyone die in your family, close friends? Maybe they/he/she can be immitating what tcgram's dad did :yes: Letting you know that they're all right?

Question Mark

I had a similar experience before my dad died. We would hear someone knock at the back door and every time we would go and open it, there would be no one there. We have windows all around our back porch so it was easy to see if someone were playing a prank on us.

Sane thing happened to me, but 2 days after my dad died.

Some one rang the doorbel.

We went to check but there wasn't anybody there, 10 minutes later the same thing.

My grandfather was very sick. He was suffering from cancer and was practically immobile and senile. But he didn't die for months afterwards. I suppose that spirits which are still holding onto their bodies can cause this to happen, just like spirits which have just let go.

My mom said her family always hears knocking on the doors and will sometimes see a shadow-like "thing" before someone dies. Maybe you were hearing the knocking as a warning of your grandfather's death? Just an idea.

I'm not sure about that, my mom just always has said her family hears things before a death. I myself have heard the knocking sound and once saw a "shadow figure" that scared the crap out of me and my brother before our dad died. Man, I never want to see that thing again!! :cry:

There are no trees near the house? Was it windy out?

I'll admit when I was young I used to go to my neighbors house and play such pranks on them. I'm not saying that is the case here, just clearing my conscience, :).