Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Treaty of Versailles and its Consequences

Guest Lottie

Debate suggestion by Walken.

"The British felt the Treaty was too harsh. The french felt it wasn't harsh enough...."

Was the Treaty of Versailles too harsh or not harsh enough?

Walken will be debating that the Treaty was too harsh.

Erikl will be debating that the Treaty was not harsh enough.

Each participant will post one introduction, four body posts and one conclusion. Responses must be made within 7 days of your opponent's last post, and remember to quote your sources. If for any reason it is not possible to reply within the time limits, please let myself or Aztec know and we will give you extra time needed.

Any questions, please send a PM.

quote source

Edited by Lottie

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Walken

• AztecInca

• Erikl

Sorry, I only just remembered this topic. :P

I will go first, but I'll need a couple of days to prepare my introduction; If thats cool with you, Erik.

Introduction

The year is 1918 and Europe has been ripped apart by war. Of Sixty Million soldiers involved, 8 Million were killed, 7 Million were permantley disabled and 15 Million were seriously injured. Some countries lost up to 20% of their active male population to the war, and that is without considering civillian casualties.

The continent was devided. It's people were desperate. Finally, In the cold October of 1918, the war reaches a dramatic end. The Kaiser, Dictator of Germany, goes into hiding and is never seen again, leaving his country abandoned - Ready to face the brunt of a torn Britain, an impatient America and a vengeful France.

We must considor how angry Britain and France were. Not just Angry, furious. They presented a treaty designed for Eternal peace, which Germany had no choice but to accept. The country was in a state of anarchy, and the countries to the West were so vengeful they would have destroyed the crippled Germany at the first sign of protest.

But Europe's dream of eternal peace was about to be crushed. The treaty was greatly flawed, and would eventually only lead to another war. A bigger, badder war, which would rip Europe in Half once again.

In my debate, I will be attempting to prove that not only was the Treaty of Versailles too harsh, but that it is a direct cause of World War two. I will be analysing the reactions to the treaty by the four particapants of the relavent conference, their actions after the treaty, Europes attitude in the Early 1920's, and the actions of the League of Nations, right up until the Second World War.

This concludes my introduction.

Edited by Walken

• 2 weeks later...

Erikl has informed myself that he will be able to post his introduction this thursday and as he has a valid reason for going over the 7-day time limit he will not be penalised.

Introduction

Ah - the Treaty of Versailles. One the most notorious treaties in modern history, usually seen as an example of short-sightened and vengeful diplomacy triumpthing over rationality.

Many claim it was too harsh, and that Germany was punished too harshly for a war that wasn't all it's fault.

The treaty is also seen by many as one of the reasons for the outbreak of the Second World War some 20 years later.

I actually quite agree with all these claims. Indeed, no doubt, the Treaty of Versailles was too harsh on the Germans, making them de facto the sole responsibles for the outbreak of the Great War.

With that said though, I claim that it was also not harsh enough, not on Germany, but on other participants.

While making Germany taking the blame of starting the war, the Treaty of Versailles cleared Austro-Hungary of any guilt to the war, when it was the one who started it all and dragged Germany in in first place, nor did it blame Turkey\Ottoman Empire for declaring war on Russia without any provocation and continue fighting Britain and France even after Russia surrendered in 1917.

In this debate, I will show how the Treaty of Versailles, while no doubt being too harsh on Germany itself, was hardly harsh enough on the other, and somewhat more guilty participants in the war, Austria, Hungary, Bulgaria and Turkey.

I apologise, but I am going to have to pull out of this debate.

Grudgingly, to say the least. This is the first time I've ever not seen a debate to the end. But I have far too much work to possibly meet all of the deadlines, as has already become evident. So I apologise, but I must withdraw.

I'm sure you would have been a fantastic opponent, Erikl. :tu:

Sorry again.

Walken.

Thank-you for letting us know Walken.

As this debate hasn`t yet passed the introductions stage then if Erikl is willing this debate can continue once another debater is found.

• 2 weeks later...

We are still looking for someone to debate that the Treaty was too harsh.

If no-one is interested it will be unfortunate that this debate will be closed within 72 hours.

Thanks.

Ok. Unfortunately I will close this debate its been going on long enough. If anyone in the future would like to participate then let myself or Aztec know and we will open a new debate for you.

Edited by Lottie