Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

hmm, what if aliens are just archetypes?

snuffypuffer

I had a thought, the three basic alien species, they seem to follow certain patterns. The reptilians, they're the bad ones, right? Reptiles are traditionally representative of things loathsome and evil. You want bad aliens, make them reptiles. Greys, insectoid, sortof human but not quite, nobody is quite sure where they stand. Grey area, like their color. The Nordics, nice, just trying to help, they fit the blond haired blue eyed hero archetype.

I could be wrong, but it's something to think about.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snuffypuffer

• Aslan

• uranium101

• Kaj

personality is fueled by species and color??? WHAT!? this is really starting to bug me...

Perchance, uranium101, you are a trifle fuzzy on the meaning of archetype?

http://www.m-w.com/home.htm

Try this. It's a big book containing lots and lots of words. We look at this big book when we are unsure of the meaning of a particular word. It helps us not to look so stupid when we post.

Starlyte, I was at work one night, had everything done, and just starting thinking, putting the patterns together.

It is quite a nice idea, snuffy, and one I think I largely agree with. As I mentioned on another thread somewhere, the fairly acceptable theory that earth has or is being visited by aliens has metamorphasized into a collection of outrageous hypotheses to the extent where the whole subject is now a catch-all phenomenon. Aliens are all things to all men. What you've noticed is possibly a symptom of this -the neccesary human desire to have good forces opposing evil forces.

Two things have happened as far as this goes (he said lighting a huge cigar and steepling his fingers in a pontifical manner), firstly, people have philosphically hijacked aliens for their own ends - they've come to save us/kill us/teach us/control us - whatever the politics of the expounder of the theory might be; and secondly, something that threatens to be inexplicable has suddenly become easily comprehensible - these are the good guys, those are the bad guys, those guys could be either but definitely one of the two. Heaven knows that people hate to say I don't know.

So something basically feasible has become warped to fit stereotypical human notions what is and isn't acceptable, and consequently, the whole shabang is neither very cogent nor believable anymore.

As I say, nice idea. Well spotted snuffy.

(sorry. got a bit carried away there. - what are your further thoughts?)

Very good idea snuffy, aliens have become archetyped into the main types of good and evil, I agree.

So we're agreed that a whole mythology has sprung up around the UFO phenomenon. It's also interesting to note that the archetypes represented come from Western culture, you don't hear much about this from the Chinese, aside from a few sightings here and there. If they have a sort of UFO myth working over there, I'd like to see what form it's taken.

I think the Chinese are so restrained by their gov, and most of them can´t communicate with the world like we do.( cuz most of them are poor, live of the land and aren´t so developed technicially as the western world )

Thats why we don´t hear much from over there.

Surely they would have things to tell....it will come some day original.gif

Maybe they do have things to tell. Also, notice the Dropa aliens somewhat resemble the Chinese themselves?