Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

la chusa (witch bird)

ghostbuster_3

have any of you ever heard of la chusa it is also called a witch bird.

La Chusa was a winged female of sorts and horribly disfigured. If some one was near death, La Chusa would come to take their souls. You would know she was near from the sounds of her huge wings beating on a nearby window of the ill perons room or the side of that home. If La Chusa could be captured and see the sun rise she would evolve into a beautiful young woman.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ghostbuster_3

• iaapac

• Mekorig

• 343 Guilty Spark

Sounds like a mix of a banshee and a harpie.

yea its kind of like that they say in life the la chusa was a witch and waskilled becuse of it. but if you go out side at midnight and wistled then it would come to kill you. now i did just that but i dont belive it will kill you but then agin it even went to a court case and people have been atacked by it. i think she may take the wistle as a thret or something like that.

me and my friend were out side and we wistled trying to get it to come then the next night at around 11 we heared rustling in the bushes we went out side to see wat it was and we thru some rocks at the area the noise was coming from and some black birds started flying around and then it sounded like somthing was on the ground and the sound was geting closer so we ran inside and locked all the doors. this was in the woods in my back yard a few days ago. even my energy rods pointed at the area.

freaked me out

Never heard of such a story. I don't believe that there's a soul in the human body either.

yea its kind of like that they say in life the la chusa was a witch and waskilled becuse of it. but if you go out side at midnight and wistled then it would come to kill you. now i did just that but i dont belive it will kill you but then agin it even went to a court case and people have been atacked by it. i think she may take the wistle as a thret or something like that.

me and my friend were out side and we wistled trying to get it to come then the next night at around 11 we heared rustling in the bushes we went out side to see wat it was and we thru some rocks at the area the noise was coming from and some black birds started flying around and then it sounded like somthing was on the ground and the sound was geting closer so we ran inside and locked all the doors. this was in the woods in my back yard a few days ago. even my energy rods pointed at the area.

freaked me out

I never get any weird paranormal experences. :(

Didn't you look out the window to see what it was?

:P

Never heard of such a story. I don't believe that there's a soul in the human body either.

well it origanated from texes i belive if you look it on yahoo you can get some info on it if your interested. it dosent realy have to do with the bodys spirits thats just in one story ive heard. im kind of with ya on that whole soul in the humen body im kind of undicided or in the middle.

The lachuza is a Mexican tale wherein a large owl-type bird takes flight and changes into a woman. There are countless tales of this and very recently I had a man tell me that he was walking to the bus stop and saw a lachuza sitting on top of a street sign. He then saw the bus coming and so he took his attention away from the bird and hurried to catch the bus. When he crossed the street he looked for the bus again and it had disappeared but there was an old woman sitting on the bench, as if also waiting for the bus.

What is interesting about the witch tales is that in 15th century Europe a witch had a pointed hat, dressed in black and could fly on a broom. In Mexico, long before the arrival of the Europeans, the witch also dressed in black, wore a pointed hat and flew on a broom. The same image and description existed for witches in China. How?

I never get any weird paranormal experences. :(

Didn't you look out the window to see what it was?

:P

yea for a long time to but nothing like it was wating out there or somthing but im not 100% that was it im hopin to have that happen agin and try to get a pic or somthing. i do have some random pics of me and my friend and the woods i took from out the window but i gota go get it developed.

The lachuza is a Mexican tale wherein a large owl-type bird takes flight and changes into a woman. There are countless tales of this and very recently I had a man tell me that he was walking to the bus stop and saw a lachuza sitting on top of a street sign. He then saw the bus coming and so he took his attention away from the bird and hurried to catch the bus. When he crossed the street he looked for the bus again and it had disappeared but there was an old woman sitting on the bench, as if also waiting for the bus.

What is interesting about the witch tales is that in 15th century Europe a witch had a pointed hat, dressed in black and could fly on a broom. In Mexico, long before the arrival of the Europeans, the witch also dressed in black, wore a pointed hat and flew on a broom. The same image and description existed for witches in China. How?

i seen a tale on tv that some cops and towns seen it i think the town was point plesent or somthing like that around some goverment wast plant or something

I've heard of La chusa, or Lechuza, as I was told. One of my friends told me a story about his grandfather's run-in with one at his ranch. According to him, his grandfather's neighbor was rumored to be a witch. One day, while walking around his ranch, the grandfather caught an owl, and beat it up with a stick he was carrying. The following day, he saw his neighbor walking down the street all bandaged up like she had gotten in a bad accident. So....:(

Neve heard anything of "La Chuza". The mane appears to de a deformation of Lechuza, that is the spanish word to Owl.

Neve heard anything of "La Chuza". The mane appears to de a deformation of Lechuza, that is the spanish word to Owl.

u myhave heard of it by another name a witch bird some people call it.

Well all I know is that a owl is a omen of something bad to come. Just like when dogs howl or cry that is bad to some people say that when they do that they are calling the reaper. There is also a saying that if you put on a eye booger of a dog you can see ghosts and spirits.

Iaapac, Two things.

One:

How do all these various cultures have the same image of a witch? They all dated my ex-girlfriend!

Two:

My father was born on September 14, so you'll just have to pick another date.

Back on topic,

I'd never heard of this bird before. I have heard of a Vietnamese creature that ran through the woods on two legs and if you saw him you were supposed to die in the next battle. Not really the same thing but, I just thought that I'd add my two pesos.

Sorry for interupting a rather interesting thread with my idiocy.

Darkmage515:

I've always heard that the dog howled because he saw the Grim Reaper, not to call him. I grew up in South Georgia, United States. Interesting that the two tales are so similer. Also, my Jewish grandparents on both sides of my family always called the grim reaper Samael. Not that it really adds much to the thread but, maybe to the knowledge.

I've never heard the one about a "dog booger" though. That's a totally new one on me. I'm gonna file that one away in the "things I'll not do" folder.

Iaapac, Two things.

One:

How do all these various cultures have the same image of a witch? They all dated my ex-girlfriend!

Two:

My father was born on September 14, so you'll just have to pick another date.

Back on topic,

I'd never heard of this bird before. I have heard of a Vietnamese creature that ran through the woods on two legs and if you saw him you were supposed to die in the next battle. Not really the same thing but, I just thought that I'd add my two pesos.

Sorry for interupting a rather interesting thread with my idiocy.

Can you clarify this September 14 thing? I don't understand.

Your profile states that Sept. 14 is your birthday. I was just razzing you a little. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

The Lechuza is a very old Hispanic legend - some people take it to mean barn owl while others take the name as being the 'witch bird' that's discussed here. Being from South Texas I've heard tons of stories about it. Growing up it was a very real boogey man or cucuy - living across the street from a very old graveyard gave us even more reason to fear this thing. We'd see lights dancing there at all hours of the night and hear odd noises.

:cry:

The main thing my grandpa told us about lechuza was to never whistle after dark because it might be the lechuza whistling...and if you whistled back it would come after you and 'try to scratch your eyeballs out'. Needless to say whistling was taboo after dark for us.

My uncle has perhaps the scariest tale: He was walking home with his girlfriend and his brother after the movies one night. His brother kept walking home as he took a different route to walk his girlfriend home :tu: - well after leaving her he began his trek home. He was walking when he heard some whistling. His first thought was that it was his brother messing around, trying to scare him. So he continues walking and the whistling continues - so he yells his brother's name and begins whistling back even louder.

A tree up in front of him erupts, he said he heard small branches breaking, the foliage just shaking about and wings flapping as if something HUGE was flying out of the tree. So he breaks and as he's passing under a streetlight he sees this shadow block out the light and the whistling is getting louder. So as he's running he takes off his belt w/ his, like, five pound western belt buckle on it and begins swinging it around his head. He eventually made it home with this thing hot on his heels. He said from that time on he never whistled after dark again.

Your profile states that Sept. 14 is your birthday. I was just razzing you a little. LOL

Okay, I understand. Then your father must be a wonderful, intelligent, kind, gregarious, humble, responsible person.

whicht bird? Neither i haerd anything about that...i am a city dewler, but i had some family in the field, iand i have spend some summers whit them. Never heard of anything like that. Its maybe some weird mexican legend that get estended over C. America and South USA...

La Lechusa I've only heard it along the Rio Grand area. Many I've talked to in Southern Mexico haven't heard of it in particular. Same with La Llorena. I mean, it could be, I just haven't heard of it farther south.

Just be sure you're talking about La Lechusa, and not La Lechuga.

jajajajaja..La Lechuga..very evil vegetable spirit that attack all the salad carrying tourist!!!!

Okay, this is all too weird! Yesterday, when I came out of the office, I had a flat tire! By the time I took the flat off, put on the spare and found a place to repair the flat, it was well after dark. I live 60 miles from work (yep, 120 mile round trip- but hey, this is Texas), so to try to make up for some of the lost time, I took a short cut that I normally steer clear of (too many deer and wild hogs). I left Farm Market Road 1835 and turned onto County Road 127 (gravel, bumpy and dusty) to cut over to Farm Market Road 57 (I live just off that road). As I was about ½ mile from FM 57, I noticed red glowing eyes beside the road and up in a tree ahead. At first, I thought that it might be tail lights on an auto going down FM 57, but then I realized that FM57 takes a curve just past where it and CR 172 join, and you wouldn’t be able to see tail lights in that direction. As I watched, the eyes blinked, closed, opened again and then just as I was getting to the tree disappeared altogether. I have no idea what it was, but having had a conversation, that day, (fueled by this thread) with a young Hispanic woman that I work with on LaChusa, my first thought was that I had actually seen one, but who knows… :yes:

freaked me out

lol well may be its just mad neighbours that didnt like loud noises and got u and they got power rods and tryied to scare u lol!!