Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

tasmanian tiger

tendo

Dear reader of this posty type thread thingamajig,

does n e one have n e information on n e recent sightings of the tasmanian tiger? i havent heard of n e sightings since i believe the late 70s or so...if u have n e info, plz let me know, thanx

sincerely unless you are a non trusting person then disregard this closing,

beachy

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Loque

• Talon

• man_in_mudboots

• bathory

This is a sighting from 1982 Link

And this is a great forum on the subject which has some info on later sightings

Link2

• 5 months later...
I really hope that there are some left alive, but I feel sorry for any that are caught, poor thing will end up being sliced and diced no doubt

Nope they have something like an $50k security on them. in other words if you kill an animal said to be extinct or its species only as somthing like 10 or less around now then it as this price aswell, If one person kills it they have to pay that if 5 people are involved all five pay the same amount.

It would be an international felany to cull or kill one. Even in the name of science. At most they could only take blood samples and observe it.

I really hope that there are some left alive, but I feel sorry for any that are caught, poor thing will end up being sliced and diced no doubt

I'm pretty sure their still alive, I mean they weren't that many to begin with, so its not improbable that they simply remained hidden from humans for so long barrig the occassional sighting.

marsupials ARE mammals. They are simply a sub-set of mammals which carry their developing babies in pouches such as Kangeroos, Tasmanian Devils etc

They are niether dogs nor foxes, well thinking of it they aren't even Mamals, They are maursupials(sp?)

They deffinatly are mammals. They have mammory glands in thier pouches...

Australia, being isolated from most the world for a while developed a bunch of interesting animals, the marsupials being one. I think Australia and NZ are also known for their monotremes (platypus being one), regarded as a missing link between reptiles and mammals (they lay eggs instead of bearing live young, and yet produce milk to feed them).

As for the Tasmanian Tiger....another example of how man do not appreciate animals until they are gone !(read Dr. Suess' The Lorax!)

I am beginning to think these sightings are just wishful thinking....

• 3 months later...

The tasmanian tiger probably exists in the wild heart of tasmania. Even if it doesn't they've set aside a reserve for them!

there was some old guy who brought a greyhound and painted stripes on it's back so it looked like a tassie tiger, he set it free. i think he done coz some other dude went looking for them. cool.gif

There's a possibility that there might still be some around.....but given the evidence that is at hand, you would have to say it's a very slim possibility.

However, there's been quite a few sightings of a dog-like animal both on the mainlaind and in Tassie. It's about as big as a German Shepherd, but that's as far as the similarity ends. Thylacines had relatively stiff tails, a more robust boxish shaped head and the stripes. Their bodies were also proportionally a little longer than a dogs. Footprints were similar, though.

There's also been sightings of large, cat like animals too. There's a possibility that it might by Thylacoleo....the marsupial lion. Judging by a news report from last year of a guy having encountered one which took a swipe at him, it's probably T.carnifex. If so, he can count himself very lucky......he probably scared it from what it was doing and it ran off startled. If it attacked him, he'd stand no chance.